The “Haircut” – chin length please?

MCP Actions Website | MCP Flickr Group | MCP Reviews

MCP Actions Quick Purchase

So my girls start 1st grade in 2 weeks. Today they got their own library cards. They could not have been any more excited. After that we went for haircuts. Jenna just got her bangs cut. Ellie decided she wanted “chin length.” She had a chin length bob last year and it grew past her shoulders. My girls looked through photo albums and Ellie decided she wanted that cut again.

The catch… The woman who cut her hair seemed to get crazy with the scissors. She just kept going around and around until…

ellie hair cut low res1 680x272 The Haircut   chin length please?

Yep – shorter than chin length. I actually like it, but it will take some getting use to. The one having the hardest time. Jenna – she keeps looking at Ellie and saying, “Ellie, you look so different.”

Here are the two of them together after “the cut.” Note the camera data after you see the shot. I was in a daring mood – shot at with my 85L at an almost wide open 1.4 – I never shoot this wide with the two of them but they seemed to be on the same plane. Looks like I was right. The negative, I did this with ones of each of them separately and some have one eye slighly OOF. But it was fun to try.

hair 30 The Haircut   chin length please?

wow av The Haircut   chin length please?

Kristin Cook says:

Her hair is soooo cute!!! I love it!

Natalie says:

The hair is VERY cute – would have never known it was not meant to be that style. I call that “even-ing up” – you try to make one side even with the other side and all of a sudden – REALLY short hair!

jodi says:

it’s always good to push ourselves in new directions, be it daring new haircuts or daring f-stops!

WOW THEY DO LOOK DIFFERENT. I LIKE THE CUT. JODI DID YOU USE ANY LIGHTING, CLOSE TO A WINDOW ETC.? I ALWAYS LOVE YOUR PICS.

jenny says:

Jodi.
    LOVE Ellie’s hair!
    Hmm… would love to see Jenna in a curly-haired version. :D

Chevy says:

Too cute! The oopsie ‘do actually looks adorable on her :0)

Johanna says:

I am impressed. When I shoot wide open on 50mm f/1.4, I definitely cannot get focus across subjects, sometimes not even across the nose from eye to eye! Can you explain one thing – why up the ISO if you’ve got some decent room in shutter speed? Love the shot and it’s perfect. Your girls are gorgeous! Their eyes, OMG, and I love the new do!

admin says:

Johanna – good question – yep I could have come down – I like to use between 1/125-1/250. They had been in another chair for some and I was at ISO640 – guess I kept it there as I adjusted on the fly. Since I nailed my exposure, it was not a big deal. Had I been underexposed – it would have been grainy.

Johanna says:

thanks Jodi. good explanation. so in other words, you could have shot that with same results at a lower ISO and slower shutter speed? when you say you “nailed” your exposure, I gather you’re using your in camera meter, do you frequently use matrix for those types of shots? curious, what about spot? also, what actions did you use in post on these shots. I have complete workflow and am a big fan!

admin says:

I do have an external meter – but I do not use it as much anymore. I use the internal as a guide, chimp (look at the screen) and adjust for more. Today I was outside, spot metering in full sun. I ended up going 2 stops over since the sun was angled coming from behind the subject. So the meter is only a guide not an end all. Once I realized that, I had better exposed photos.

Casey Cooper says:

Let me just say thanks so much for putting your camera settings under the photo. It really helps those of JSO to learn!!!! Thank you!

Miz Booshay says: