Video Tutorial: A better way to dodge and burn in Photoshop

Here is a video on dodging and burning in a non-destructive manner using your brush tool instead of the built in dodge and burn tools.

These are a great way to give your photo a finished look after running one of the MCP Complete Workflow Actions.  This method works well on black and white conversions and well as color pop and vintage photos.

Video Tutorial: A better way to dodge and burn in Photoshop

twitter Video Tutorial: A better way to dodge and burn in Photoshopfacebook Video Tutorial: A better way to dodge and burn in Photoshoppinterest Video Tutorial: A better way to dodge and burn in Photoshopgoogleplus Video Tutorial: A better way to dodge and burn in Photoshop

Heidi says:

Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge! Can’t wait to try this technic.

SandraC says:

Thanks for this tip!

Erin says:

Awesome, video tutorials are soooooo helpful! Can’t thank you enough. I stayed up braving photoshop til 5am yesterday…you have inspired me, or at least sleep deprived me.
    THANKS!

jodi says:

another great tut! thanks so much.

Pam Davis says:

Great Tutorial, I really learn alot from watching how you work. Pam

gina says:

soooooooooooo helpful, thank you…

Casey Cooper says:

As usual, awesome job! Thanks for sharing!

Pam says:

WOW! I had no idea that dodge/burn effected the pixels. Thanks for this great tutorial, Jodi. I have learned so much more from you in Photoshop than any other source.

Barb says:

I love your tutorials, Jodi!

Can you tell me… is this the same thing as your “touch of light, touch of darkness” action? If not, how are they different? I love using that action since I’ve finally read the instructions on using it. :D

admin says:

They work differently – but the results obtained can be the same.

Tiffany says:

Great tutorial!! Thank you for sharing

Dan says:

Can you explain why you first fill the layer with 50% gray? I’ve been dodging and burning this way for a while now though I just do it on a new blank soft light layer. I’ve tried it with the gray and I can’t tell any difference. Just curious if I’m missing some reason I should do it that way. Thanks. I love all the great videos here.

admin says:

Just how I have always done it so you are working with neutral underneath. I will have to try your way too to see if there is a difference. I actually usually now prefer dodge and burn using my touch of light and darkness action – which is curves – that you actually paint on (light or dark). It is even more non destructive – but this can go deeper…

Add Comment Register