Fix It Friday – a fun Before and After Share – with Instructions

facesfixit

I am a Judge and Contributor to a great site called I Heart Faces.  And every week they have a photo they send to a few people to work on a before and after shot.  I participate when I can.  This week’s edit was unique for me.  I am not usually all about the text.  But it turned out kinda fun so I wanted to share what I did and tell you quickly how I did it too.

Before shot:

fix-it5-before

What I did next to get to the after:

1. stretched the canvas
2. cloned tree or pole out (not sure what that was…)
3. Ran Peek-a-Boo Action from MCP Complete Workflow Action Set
4. Ran Grandma’s Quilt Action from MCP Frosted Memories Set
5. Ran Crackle Action from MCP Quickie Collection
6. Flattened
7. Cropped
8. Added Dark Brown Border by Expanding Canvas using a sampled color
9. Added Text and Adjusted the Opacity so it showed background through
10. Added Drop Shadow to the Text via layer styles
11. Resized and Sharpened using MCP Crystal Clear Web Sharpening and Resize

And here was the result:

fix-it5-after

TwitterFacebookPinterestGoogle Plus

Comments

1. Jenny Carroll says

Love what you did. I alwys enjoy “tutorials.” Thanks for posting. The wording at the bottom really makes the picture!

2. says

I am always so impressed with your edits! This one in particular is just beautiful! Thanks for sharing your knowledge with all of us rookies : )

3. says

I would have never even thought of stretching the canvas. Looks great. I assume because the boys face is not stretched you did that in layers, any more info on that would be great. Thanks for sharing.

4. Barb Ray says

This is wonderful! I’m with Karen…would love to know how you “stretched” the canvas!!! :o) Thanks for sharing! Now all I need is a lot of $$ so I can buy all of your actions!!! I’m a complete believer!!!! :o)

5. says

Great job changing an ordinary photo. You should show us more before & afters so that we will all know we really need to have ALL your actions. :)

6. Tracey says

Maybe just because I’m so new to all of this, I’d love to know how you cloned the unknown tree/pole out of the picture! LOVE that!

7. says

CS4 and my computer have some issues :) So I was in CS4 – but I did not use Content aware scaling as it freezes up on me and says I do not have enough RAM… So I did it manually.

8. says

Hi Jodi! I absolutely love your site and this particular fix was great. Like a lot of other posters have mentioned, I would LOVE to know how you expanded the canvas! I am stumped! Thanks for you help!!!

9. says

If you do a search on my blog (under “search” at the top) for stretching the canvas – it should take you to a video tutorial I did on this technique.

10. Sherri says

Oh wow this is really nice –
    Now I’m off to find that video tutorial of how you stretched the canvas ! LOL