Blueprints * A New Photo Makeover Segment on the MCP Blog

*** We are over 300 on comments from yesterday – I will let a few more of you get in on the fun – as I really want the feedback.  I will pick a winner for both the MCP $50 and the Huge Branding Prize from SnapBrand on Sunday.  So go comment if you have not already.

Based on the feedback from the polls yesterday it seems that freebies aside, people seem to love the before and afters the most – especially when I explain what I did.  So I am rebranding the name from Photo Makeover and Before and After to BLUEPRINTS.

I welcome you to send me your blueprints too – when you have a super successful one.

What is a blueprint?  It is an original photograph that is manipulated in photoshop by hand or using actions.  Step by step instructions are written out within the example to become a blueprint for how the photographer or editor achieved the look.

I will “try” to post one of these weekly as a way for you to grow and learn.  I primarily will use MCP Actions but may mix in some other tips and tricks too.  I hope you enjoy.  Please give me feedback and let me know how you like this concept.

Thanks – Jodi

Today’s blueprint shows a photo I took in Phoenix last weekend at a photo shoot in the desert.  My goal was to have dramatic color yet retain a sharp, crisp photo.  I would love to know what you think.

blueprint71

TwitterFacebookPinterestGoogle Plus

Comments

says

As you may remember from the color class the other day, I LOVE color, so this is fabulous.
    But…..everytime you do this, I see I need more actions!

Ashley says

I am really excited for Blue Prints! This is originally what drew me to your site– I don’t think 1 a week is enough! I hope to further learn and grow from your techniques. The photo is beautiful. I really like the bright, crisp, clean line of the photo.

Diane Stewart says

This is beautiful, even if I had the money for the actions, I would be clueless how to use them all together like you did to get such a terrific result! Wow.

Janet says

Beautiful…love these posts, but they are going to end up costing me lots of $$$. I want all of your actions!

Leslie Perry says

Wow!! This photo looks amazing!! I love your Blueprint idea–and can’t wait to see how to make such beautiful pictures. Thanks for sharing. I LOVE your blog!

says

Diane – the idea behind the “blueprint” is for those who have them to see exactly what I do and try that “blueprint” on a similar photo to see what results they get…

says

Love these & great name change. OK, here’s my question: It didn’t look like you had enough color in the original image to pull out all that blue in the sky, so what did you do? Also, I have the Complete Workflow, but I don’t have the Quickie Collection (yet!). Can you explain what, exactly is Crackle for/what it does for the image/when would you use it, etc.? Thanks Jodi!

says

Johanna – Color Explosion pulled out color – then touch of darkness deepened it. Crackle makes the photo have that almost three dimensional look. I use it any time a photo is well exposed or close anyway – and it looks flat.

My kids saw this before and after – they pointed to the before and said – “I thought you were a good photographer – but actually you are just good on the computer – the 1st one is boring. The second is cool…”

Love how kids can give the honest truth. Thing is my focus was good, exposure fairly good – a tad under so the whites did not blow. But those things matter most. If you have good light and get your focus down, you can work it in PS. If not, PS can only do a little for you.

Make sense?

Jodi

Shannon says

love it! I live in Phoenix, and love to see what amazing you work with the sometimes all brownish desert. I love your blog!

says

Amazing difference! :) The edited photo looks so much sharper than the original… My personal preference would be not to leave so much light around the couple… it almost looks like there is a glow around their bodies from the ankle to the elbow. Nonetheless, I love it!

Trackbacks