Blueprint – Getting Rid of Poor Color with Photoshop Actions

I received this photo from a photographer (who had someone photograph her).  Unfortunately she was on vacation and had slight sunburn and the under exposure and photography emphasized this even more.

She sent it to me to see how I would handle it with actions, and to see if it even could be fixed.  At 1st glance I thought it might need custom post processing.  But I started playing, and wrote each step out so you could see how sometimes even harder problems can be tackled with actions (if you really learn what your actions do and how to use them).

Do you think this is a good save?  What else would you like to see done with this photo? There are a few more things I might do not using actions (but the task at hand was to get as far as I could just with MCP photoshop actions.  How would you have tackled this before to make it better?

blueprint131 Blueprint   Getting Rid of Poor Color with Photoshop Actions

Blueprint   Getting Rid of Poor Color with Photoshop Actions

twitter Blueprint   Getting Rid of Poor Color with Photoshop Actionsfacebook Blueprint   Getting Rid of Poor Color with Photoshop Actionspinterest Blueprint   Getting Rid of Poor Color with Photoshop Actionsgoogleplus Blueprint   Getting Rid of Poor Color with Photoshop Actions

Patti says:

What a save Jodi! Beautiful.

Kathy says:

She looks so much better! Amazing what actions can do!! That bluish background is throwing me a little. It does something with her hair to me. But it’s such a great improvement any way.

Alisha Shaw says:

Awesome!! Might play with the color/exposure at her part-otherwise looks so great!

alex whitman says:

that is an AWESOME save!!

Kim says:

Gorgeous after photo! Thanks for sharing.

Dawn says:

You’re a miracle worker! That lady is gorgeous….nicely done!

Silvina says:

That was a great save Jodi!

Jill R. says:

I think that’s an awesome save, Jodi! The only other thing I can see is that there is too much cyan…especially noticeable in in her hair. I would use selective color and pull about 30-35% of the cyans out of the neutrals. I might mask back on the background and her eyes… I use selective color a lot when I feel most of the color is right and I don’t want to play with the entire red, green, or blue channels in curves and then mask back.

Deena says:

I think this looks fantastic! Way better than the original, that just looks flat!

Nicki says:

What an amazing save!

Lori M. says:

WOW!

Jodi,

I am really lovin your blueprints. I just bought the Quickie Collection and the blueprints are so helpful, helping me to work better with an already great action set.

Thanks,
    Beth

Wow Jodi! That’s amazing! I probably would have just deleted that photo and assumed that it couldn’t be saved. Beautiful work! :)

Gayle says:

Ummm, WOW!!!! Enough said.

Sarah says:

Wow, thank you so much for all these Tuts! They really help me better understand what I can do with the MCP actions.

Beautiful save Jodi!!

robin says:

Wow! I am really impressed–nice save!

Jackie Beale says:

beautiful after picture. It’s amazing how you got it so sharp.

Peggy says:

Awesome. I love the blue-print posts the best. It really helps me understand how to use the MCP actions to its fullest potential. More blue-print posts – it’s such a visual learning tool. Thanks Jodi.

Danielle says:

W. O . W!! good save.

Staci says:

Jodi-that is an awesome save. It looks beautiful! :-) I really, really enjoy using your actions. My absolute fav. The magic skin is great!

Shelly says:

Wow! What a great job. Once again, I love seeing your recipes. I use your actions all the time.

Catlin says:

OMG, you just went up like 5,000 notches on the Awesome scale!

Christin Beaurline says:

Great save! I really cannot believe the improvement….it is that great! Nice work!

Laraine Davis says:

Jodi – this is amazing. Thanks for sharing these, I have almost all your actions and I love them, and I couldn’t live without them. This helps me alot to see the power of it all. Have a great Memorial Day weekend.

Rose says:

Beautiful! I’ll bet she’s glad she sent you the photo! Your actions are on my wish list :)

amazing what can be done post production – this looks great

Jennifer says:

Wow! Unbelievable save! You Rock!!!

I have to say that your Skin Cast Blast is my FAVORITE and probably my most-used MCP action. So many times, I have been able to make a good photo GREAT by using it to adjust the color cast on a photo. Sometimes I use it and I’m amazed at how much better the image becomes—even though I hardly noticed the color cast in the first place! (although with this one, the color cast was totally noticeable, haha)
    Keep these blue-print posts coming, Jodi. They are very informative but also showcase how amazing your actions are!!!

Oh my goodness! I had no idea such a “save” was possible, just incredible. Thanks so much for sharing…I’m hooked!

Nikki Romero says:

YUCK!!! I had one like this before but it was dark yellow/orange, hard, hard, to fix… The outcome is absolutely amazing… I feel, red and yellow are the hardest things to correct. Blonde hair is hard to play with, it tends to get a gray/blue tint to it… Great composure, nice angle, overall great save!!!! As always Jodi, your actions are a life saver…..

Sara says:

I’ve been reading your blog only for a short time now, but this post is the only one that made me want to comment because WOW!!! You did an amazing job

Valerie Smith says:

Wow…what a great save. Thanks for the blueprint. Love your actions.

Add Comment Register