What computer should I get next? I would love your help choosing. I posed the question on this Facebook Thread – but it is hard to layout the whole picture in such few words.
Currently I use a Dell Precision 17” high resolution laptop (fully loaded – well 2 years ago it was anyway…) Every time I am about to purchase I consider buying a Mac. And every time I have ended up staying with PCs. I had considered getting a desktop, but I realize I much prefer laptops.
Why I have stayed (Pros to PC):
– I have all the software already
– I am familiar and comfortable with using it
– Overall they are reliable – well besides that blue screen I get maybe once every 6 months – or the occasional virus/malware issues
Why I might want to switch to Mac (Pros to Mac/Cons to PC):
– I always hear how I would LOVE using a Mac
– Viruses and malware
– Many say Photoshop runs better on a Mac
– Would love a lighter, sleeker 17” laptop
– Those commercials are just too funny
And why I never have switched and would still be nervous to make the change (Cons to Mac):
– Much of the software is not Mac compatible:
- Camtasia (which I use to record all the photoshop video tutorials you watch here)
- Windows Live Writer (how I am writing this blog post right now – it is awesome!)
- Thunderbird for email (there may be a Mac version but would my emails transfer)
– Some software is compatible – but would require I purchase a Mac version or give up my PC license.
- Photoshop is my biggest problem – since I do trainings, I need to sometimes use older versions. Well if I transfer my license it would be for CS4. I would not have access to older versions – as you cannot download past versions for Mac when you have the PC disks. Also, I need to test action sets in older versions. As of now I have v7, CS, CS2, CS3, CS4 and elements 5 and 7. I could keep them on my PC laptop, but then, if I need to use it for training or testing, why bother getting a Mac?
- Lightroom – similar issue as Photoshop but not used nearly as much for my MCP work so transfer is less of an issue.
- Would need to purchase new version of Word and Excel for Mac.
– Setting up, transferring info (an issue when I get a new computer no matter what – but more complex going PC to Mac).
– Might need the PC side on my Mac – as I could get Vista, parallels and then load on my Photoshop versions. But I would need to re-purchase photoshop for the Mac side –since they do not have dual platform licenses. And I would need to get virus protection and spyware programs then too.
– Learning curve – getting use to the new keys and commands as well as the new operating system
After reading my Pros and Cons, what do you think I should do? If you vote switch to Mac explain how I can overcome the Cons? Please vote and leave comments as to why you voted the way you did.Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.