Do the words “adjustment layer” or “layer masks” scare you?
If so, this revised video (which includes Photoshop versions up through CS4) is a MUST Watch, Must Share, and Must Bookmark.
Here are some notes to help you along:
– White Reveals (shows)
– Black Conceals (hides)
– Use a “airbrush soft round” to paint (change the hardness as you get close to subject if you can see halo or marks but never go to 100% hardness)
– Make sure your layer mask is selected (has a box outlined around it)
– Change the opacity of the brush as needed for more control – I often work with a low opacity brush and let the effect build.
– Shortcuts used “[ or ]” – the left bracket makes brush smaller and right bracket makes the brush bigger
– D puts default colors as swatches (white foreground/black background) – X swaps these two.