Learn how to read your histogram and nail your exposures: part 1

You can check out his advertising website here
His wedding photography is online here
His website for photographers is Photographers Toolkit (Be sure to sign up for his free Photographer’s Business Coach.)

MCP readers are very lucky – over the next 3 days John will be teaching you how to read and understand your histogram.  This in turn leads to better exposures and less post processing!  And knowing your histogram also is very important when using curves and levels. He really explains the histogram in an easy to understand way.  I hope you really enjoy and learn from this videos.

TwitterFacebookPinterestGoogle Plus

Comments

says

Can’t wait to get home and watch this (video blocked at work). I have been working on nailing my exposure lately and am very open to better ways to accomplish that.

Julie says

I’m sure this is very informative, but I couldn’t watch it. The music is very distracting. I couldn’t concentrate on anything he was saying.

says

Very informative and easy to understand! Thanks!! I do wish the music was not in the background though since it was distracting!

Crystal says

This is wonderful and I can’t wait to see the other 2 posts. Today’s video was about the extent of my knowledge, so I am really excited to learn the rest! Thanks for everything Jodi…you are SO AWESOME!

says

OMG, I am trying to perfect natural light photography, and I was just studying this, this past weekend, on different sites and youtube… How crazy, you were reading my mind…. Thanks so much for sharing. His explanation was the best thus far… Can’t wait til the next one..

Ricster says

CUT OUT THE BACKGROUND MUSIC! I guess it should be the Foreground music because it is more prominent than the instruction.

What I got out of it was interesting but the music is annoying.

Laurie LeBlanc says

Very informative but I have to agree the music is very distracting and it’s hard to focus on what he’s saying.

says

Haha I totally agree with Laurie, he should ditch the gay music so we can listen to what he is SAYING!!! Great information, and the way he explains it is great.

Lori S. says

I can’t hear anything but MUSIC! That’s super annoying. In all 3 of the videos all I hear is MUSIC. GRRR.

Amber says

The music was very distracting. Plus, the voice kept repeating “PREVIEW” and the name of the music file in the background. If you’re going to use music in your videos, just go ahead and pay for it.

says

Lori, Amber, Rose and Laurie – I agree about the music. But John said I could use them or not – as is. I decided the information was valuable enough that I decided to use them music and all. I made that choice and hoped those watching could make their own choice and turn it off if they just could not hear through it. I wished he would record but he is extremely busy.

So that is my story – I am sticking to it – LOL

Jodi

Phani says

That was a great tutorial and very easy to understand. Thank you! The only thing that I found very distracting was the music. It drowned out Mr. Mireles’ voice a bit. I can’t wait for the next tutorial. Thanks again!

Beth says

i tried watching the video above on histograms and it showed up just fine but i couldn’t hear him speaking it just had music playing, so all the explanation was lost? is this how it is suppose to be?

Trackbacks

1. […] John Mireles likes to say that there’s not a lot in the photography business that he hasn’t done in his 20 years in the business. He’s shot everything from fashion editorial to big budget advertising shoots to high-end weddings to family portraits as well as a wide range of personal work that runs from nudes to landscapes. His passion is telling a story through the subjects that he photographs.  You can check out his advertising website here His wedding photography is online here His we Original post: Learn how to read your histogram and nail your exposures: part 1 […]