Learn how to read your histogram and nail your exposures: part 1

Learn how to read your histogram and nail your exposures: part 1

You can check out his advertising website here
His wedding photography is online here
His website for photographers is Photographers Toolkit (Be sure to sign up for his free Photographer’s Business Coach.)

MCP readers are very lucky – over the next 3 days John will be teaching you how to read and understand your histogram.  This in turn leads to better exposures and less post processing!  And knowing your histogram also is very important when using curves and levels. He really explains the histogram in an easy to understand way.  I hope you really enjoy and learn from this videos.

5 to Win a FREE year at ClickinMoms + 1 to Win a Set of Blog It Boards
Learn how to read your histogram and nail your exposures: part 2

1. July 21, 2009 at 9:05 am — Reply

Thanks, Jodi! I’m looking forward to this!

2. Judie Zevack
    July 21, 2009 at 9:31 am — Reply

This was great Jodi, Thanks!!!

3. July 21, 2009 at 9:55 am — Reply

Very nice explanation! can’t wait for the next installments to add to this!

Thanks Jodi!

4. July 21, 2009 at 10:02 am — Reply

Thanks so much, can’t wait for the next lesson 🙂

5. July 21, 2009 at 10:04 am — Reply

Can’t wait to get home and watch this (video blocked at work). I have been working on nailing my exposure lately and am very open to better ways to accomplish that.

6. July 21, 2009 at 10:39 am — Reply

can’t wait to see the next one!

7. July 21, 2009 at 10:51 am — Reply

I’m looking forward to the next installments. Thanks for doing this series.

8. July 21, 2009 at 11:06 am — Reply

Great information! Can’t wait to see what else he is going to teach us!

9. July 21, 2009 at 1:02 pm — Reply

am I the only one that can only hear music and no talking??

10. Julie
    July 21, 2009 at 1:24 pm — Reply

I’m sure this is very informative, but I couldn’t watch it. The music is very distracting. I couldn’t concentrate on anything he was saying.

11. Maria Black
    July 21, 2009 at 2:31 pm — Reply

Thank you! I’m so glad I’ve found this site!

12. July 21, 2009 at 2:47 pm — Reply

Very informative and easy to understand! Thanks!! I do wish the music was not in the background though since it was distracting!

13. Brendan
    July 21, 2009 at 3:37 pm — Reply

The sound was very bad on that video. The background music was too loud for the voice.

14. July 21, 2009 at 3:54 pm — Reply

those textures are awesome! thank you SO, SO much!
    i’m LOVING them!

15. Crystal
    July 21, 2009 at 4:14 pm — Reply

This is wonderful and I can’t wait to see the other 2 posts. Today’s video was about the extent of my knowledge, so I am really excited to learn the rest! Thanks for everything Jodi…you are SO AWESOME!

16. Colleen
    July 21, 2009 at 5:03 pm — Reply

Wonderful. Thank you! I’ll be back for the next lessons.

17. July 21, 2009 at 10:43 pm — Reply

OMG, I am trying to perfect natural light photography, and I was just studying this, this past weekend, on different sites and youtube… How crazy, you were reading my mind…. Thanks so much for sharing. His explanation was the best thus far… Can’t wait til the next one..

18. July 22, 2009 at 10:02 am — Reply

Jodi – thank you for being so inspired to help us! John was so thorough. I can’t wait to see more tomorrow.

19. Ricster
    July 22, 2009 at 12:05 pm — Reply

CUT OUT THE BACKGROUND MUSIC! I guess it should be the Foreground music because it is more prominent than the instruction.

What I got out of it was interesting but the music is annoying.

20. Peter Conrey
    July 22, 2009 at 12:22 pm — Reply

I can’t watch it. The music is way too loud and completely unnecessary.

21. Laurie LeBlanc
    July 22, 2009 at 1:05 pm — Reply

Very informative but I have to agree the music is very distracting and it’s hard to focus on what he’s saying.

22. […] Learn how to read your histogram and nail your exposures: part 1 […]

23. July 23, 2009 at 10:07 am — Reply

Thanks Jodi,

This was so helpful!!!

24. July 23, 2009 at 1:50 pm — Reply

Haha I totally agree with Laurie, he should ditch the gay music so we can listen to what he is SAYING!!! Great information, and the way he explains it is great.

25. Lori S.
    July 23, 2009 at 4:18 pm — Reply

I can’t hear anything but MUSIC! That’s super annoying. In all 3 of the videos all I hear is MUSIC. GRRR.

26. Amber
    July 24, 2009 at 11:12 am — Reply

The music was very distracting. Plus, the voice kept repeating “PREVIEW” and the name of the music file in the background. If you’re going to use music in your videos, just go ahead and pay for it.

27. July 24, 2009 at 2:53 pm — Reply

Lori, Amber, Rose and Laurie – I agree about the music. But John said I could use them or not – as is. I decided the information was valuable enough that I decided to use them music and all. I made that choice and hoped those watching could make their own choice and turn it off if they just could not hear through it. I wished he would record but he is extremely busy.

So that is my story – I am sticking to it – LOL

Jodi

28. July 26, 2009 at 7:01 am — Reply

i’ve watched these before, great info!!

29. […] John Mireles likes to say that there’s not a lot in the photography business that he hasn’t done in his 20 years in the business. He’s shot everything from fashion editorial to big budget advertising shoots to high-end weddings to family portraits as well as a wide range of personal work that runs from nudes to landscapes. His passion is telling a story through the subjects that he photographs.  You can check out his advertising website here His wedding photography is online here His we Original post: Learn how to read your histogram and nail your exposures: part 1 […]

30. Phani
    May 28, 2010 at 2:17 pm — Reply

That was a great tutorial and very easy to understand. Thank you! The only thing that I found very distracting was the music. It drowned out Mr. Mireles’ voice a bit. I can’t wait for the next tutorial. Thanks again!

31. Tammy
    November 14, 2011 at 9:58 pm — Reply

are these videos on reading your historam still available?

32. Beth
    December 9, 2011 at 11:09 am — Reply

i tried watching the video above on histograms and it showed up just fine but i couldn’t hear him speaking it just had music playing, so all the explanation was lost? is this how it is suppose to be?