Have a question? Reach us at: (866) 903-0998

Learn how to read your histogram and nail your exposures: part 1

Free Photoshop Actions and Lightroom Presets by MCP™

Learn how to read your histogram and nail your exposures: part 1

John Mireles likes to say that there’s not a lot in the photography business that he hasn’t done in his 20 years in the business. He’s shot everything from fashion editorial to big budget advertising shoots to high-end weddings to family portraits as well as a wide range of personal work that runs from nudes to landscapes. His passion is telling a story through the subjects that he photographs.

You can check out his advertising website here
His wedding photography is online here
His website for photographers is Photographers Toolkit (Be sure to sign up for his free Photographer’s Business Coach.)

MCP readers are very lucky – over the next 3 days John will be teaching you how to read and understand your histogram.  This in turn leads to better exposures and less post processing!  And knowing your histogram also is very important when using curves and levels. He really explains the histogram in an easy to understand way.  I hope you really enjoy and learn from this videos.

Free Photoshop Actions and Lightroom Presets by MCP™
5 to Win a FREE year at ClickinMoms + 1 to Win a Set of Blog It Boards
Learn how to read your histogram and nail your exposures: part 2

1. Peter Conrey
    July 22, 2009 at 12:22 pm —

I can’t watch it. The music is way too loud and completely unnecessary.

2. Laurie LeBlanc
    July 22, 2009 at 1:05 pm —

Very informative but I have to agree the music is very distracting and it’s hard to focus on what he’s saying.

3. July 23, 2009 at 10:07 am —

Thanks Jodi,

This was so helpful!!!

4. July 23, 2009 at 1:50 pm —

Haha I totally agree with Laurie, he should ditch the gay music so we can listen to what he is SAYING!!! Great information, and the way he explains it is great.

5. Lori S.
    July 23, 2009 at 4:18 pm —

I can’t hear anything but MUSIC! That’s super annoying. In all 3 of the videos all I hear is MUSIC. GRRR.

6. Amber
    July 24, 2009 at 11:12 am —

The music was very distracting. Plus, the voice kept repeating “PREVIEW” and the name of the music file in the background. If you’re going to use music in your videos, just go ahead and pay for it.

7. July 24, 2009 at 2:53 pm —

Lori, Amber, Rose and Laurie – I agree about the music. But John said I could use them or not – as is. I decided the information was valuable enough that I decided to use them music and all. I made that choice and hoped those watching could make their own choice and turn it off if they just could not hear through it. I wished he would record but he is extremely busy.

So that is my story – I am sticking to it – LOL

Jodi

8. July 26, 2009 at 7:01 am —

i’ve watched these before, great info!!

9. Phani
    May 28, 2010 at 2:17 pm —

That was a great tutorial and very easy to understand. Thank you! The only thing that I found very distracting was the music. It drowned out Mr. Mireles’ voice a bit. I can’t wait for the next tutorial. Thanks again!

10. Tammy
    November 14, 2011 at 9:58 pm —

are these videos on reading your historam still available?

11. Beth
    December 9, 2011 at 11:09 am —

i tried watching the video above on histograms and it showed up just fine but i couldn’t hear him speaking it just had music playing, so all the explanation was lost? is this how it is suppose to be?