Blueprint – close-up of a cute little girl, a natural looking Photoshop edit

Sometimes when I make the blueprints, I tend to go overboard and almost exaggerate the edits so you can see what I did. For this one I wanted to do a super realistic, natural edit.  Thank you to Jill Ellison for this adorable picture.

This little girl looks so cute with her sweet curls.  Here is what I did to give her a little glow, slightly better coloring and a sparkle to her eyes using a few Photoshop actions and a few manual adjustment layers.

Step 1 – Ran MCP Color Burst from the Complete Workflow.

Step 2 – Did a manual Hue/Saturation Layer – selected Blue channel – and then Cyan channel,  Took opacity of each down to about –65% to reduce colors in the whites of her eyes.  Inverted mask. Painted back on the mask with a white brush on the eyes to get rid of the cast.

Step 3 – Ran MCP Magic Powder from the Magic Skin action set – set opacity to 36% (just wanted a light smoothing).

Step 4 – her skin had a touch too much blue and magenta – so I ran Magic Skin’s Skin Cast Blast – activated the Bye Bye Blueberry layer at 100%.  Masked back the shadow area with a 30% brush as the shadows did not need that much of a correction.

Step 5 – Ran MCP Crackle from the Quickie Collection action set.

Step 6 – at this point I noticed that the shadow areas were getting lost on her shirt and hair.  So I did a levels layer and adjusted the output slider to 25.  This was a tad too much so I lowered the opacity of that layer to 85%.

Step 7 – cropped.

If I had more time, I may have extracted the tree and replaced it with the background.  I would have preferred that over the tree behind her.  But at least the drop got rid of the hand and arm coming at her head.

jillellisonbp thumb Blueprint – close up of a cute little girl, a natural looking Photoshop edit

Blueprint – close up of a cute little girl, a natural looking Photoshop edit

twitter Blueprint – close up of a cute little girl, a natural looking Photoshop editfacebook Blueprint – close up of a cute little girl, a natural looking Photoshop editpinterest Blueprint – close up of a cute little girl, a natural looking Photoshop editgoogleplus Blueprint – close up of a cute little girl, a natural looking Photoshop edit

Judie Zevack says:

Looks great!!

This is great, thanks! Would you consider doing a tutorial on how to best remove a “background”?

MCP Actions says:

Diana – I have thought about doing a tutorial on it but it can be a complicated process depending on the background and contrasting with the subject.

It is something I avoid at almost all costs due to time. The best thing to do is plan ahead in camera. Extractions take a LOT of time unless against a simple backdrop of green screen.

There are 3rd party software to help aide in extraction too. But for photoshop, it is a combination of the selection tools to isolate the subject from the background.

Jodi

Francisco Leal says:

Wow, how could you mess up with a pic of that little cutie pie? Seriously tho, thanks for sharing your workflow.

Brad Jolly says:

Great edit! Thanks for sharing this info! Takes an otherwise good picture and really makes it stand out.

Jill says:

Thanks Jodi! I LOVE your blueprints!!!

Amy Mann says:

Wonderful, I love the blueprints too! What a difference this made on this pic! Great job.

Flo says:

WOW! Jodi that sure made a big difference. I love your actions and use them a lot of the time. I think I need to get more LOL….

Cathy says:

Jodi, when you ran Crackle and Color burst do you run at 100% unless otherwise noted? This turned out beautiful!

I LOVE that! I’ve been trying to get that glow look but just didn’t know how to get that. I had a hard time following what you did. Do you happen to have an action that does that?

Thanks Jodi, thanks for sharing ;-)

MCP Actions says:

Cathy – when I run and do not say a % – I run the default – so not 100% unless that was the default.

Missy – the steps are listed with the blueprint – most of it was using actions. But a combination of things lead to the outcome – not just one step.

Rose says:

I love it. She’s beautiful!!

Silvina says:

Great blueprint as always…thank you!

I love this! So natural looking and still so beautiful!

Thanks, Jodi for answering my comment. I guess I’m a little slow. :)
    I’m a visual learner, so maybe you could do a tutorial about “the glow” sometime? That is, if you run out of things to teach! Thanks for all your help!

Michele Abel says:

The blueprints are my favorite……I love to know how to work on a picture using actions, and curves, etc. It also makes me want all the actions you have!!
    I, too, would love a tutorial on removing the background.
    Thanks for everything.

Heather Price........vanilla moon says:

Thankyou,that was a super tutorial,really helpful!

Pam says:

This blueprint actually helped with with some proofing I was working on today. Thanks for sharing Jodi. I have your Quickie Collection. Is the Quickie Color comparable to the Colorburst in your Workflow? If not, what is the difference?
    Thanks!

honey says:

Amazing as usual! Love to see what you use & try it on my own. I would have never thought to run crackle after running colorburst … I usually choose one or the other … you results make me want to try them together! I’m with Diana … would love to see you change the background on video … I learn so much from those tutorials! Thanks for sharing!!!

Oh my. What a cutie. Adorable as can be!

kathy says:

Just fabulous! Thank you for your clear explanations – they’re great!

Karen Baetz says:

Hi Jodi,
    I’ve been dying for this tutorial! I followed until I got to: “Inverted mask. Painted back on the mask with a white brush on the eyes to get rid of the cast.” When I try it on my own photo, nothing happens, but then again I don’t really understand how the mask removes the cast. What causes that hazy cast to begin with? I would looooove one of your videos that shows you actually doing this.

PS. Your site is the A #1 site for learning how to improve one’s photos. Thank you!

beautiful edit jodi!! thanks for another great blueprint!

Ashley Larsen says:

I second the background extraction tutorial. Maybe something simple for the tutorial that you could easily do?

Add Comment Register