Thank you to all those who wrote to me via my Facebook Page and on my blog comment section regarding how I can start to get my life back and get away from my computer “occasionally” to be with family, exercise, or just to take care of myself. I have tried to respond to some of these comments and I appreciate them all.
Here are a few things I plan to do immediately:
– Start setting more limits and learning when I need to say “no” or “go to google” or “try to search the blog…”
– Consider the future – I need to think about this one. Do I want to grow my business more, keep it where it is, or slow things down – and if it is stay here or grow, what type of help do I need to get there (hire people, get a forum, etc)
– New website – started with a new designer today – since the contest is ready to go from my past site, I hope this will not take more than a month – 2 months. And I “may” hire someone (could be one of you) to help me get the content into place. I know a few of you expressed interest in extra income. Once this new site is done, instant downloads will be available!!! YAY!
– FAQ – I will be gathering questions – and will take some into FAQ posts on my blog. Some may become their own solo posts as well. There is no way I will get to every question this way but it is a start. I will also add an FAQ section to my site when it is done (and can answer more questions pertaining to buying and using my actions there) – again maybe I should “hire” someone to help with this.
– I called my accountant today to find out how to hire someone. This is a 1st step. Since I am a single employee LLC I was not sure. But the answer is that I need to issue a W-9 and submit 1099s to employees that earn over $600 – and that they would be responsible for their own taxes. So that is not too hard if I decide to go this route.
– Moderators – anyone interested (knowledgeable about photoshop and/or photography) and want to help a bit? Before starting a forum, I want to see if Facebook works as an exchange platform. But I need a few people willing to check the FB wall and discussion page once a day and to answer questions left there (and if unsure of an answer – to contact me). At this point there are very few of these but ideally I want to get many customers and fans interacting there – not just mods. To get it going I need a commitment from a few people to be watching.
– An email letter. At this point I cannot imagine sending out a form email every time someone emails me (regardless of the reason). But I think having a template ready to go is a good start so I can hand reply when it fits and is appropriate. I thought I would share this with all of you now – feedback welcome. But also I wanted to share it so you will have some of the same links I will be giving out. You may be able to save a step or two this way. So here it is:
Thank you so much for writing. My customers and fans are so important to me.
While I would love to answer every email I get personally, I don’t feel I can give a good answer to each and every person personally due to the volume of emails I receive. To solve this, I have decided to do a monthly FAQ post on the MCP BLOG. I will try and answer as many questions from my customers and fans as I can in these upcoming FAQ posts. Thank you so much for understanding my situation and for thinking so highly of me to ask me a question.
Here are a few more avenues that you may pursue to get answers to your immediate questions:
– The “MCP Fan Page” on facebook. You may post in the “discussion area” tab and/or on the “wall.” My hope is that photographers can helping each other here, and time permitting that I can stop by and post answers to some questions as well.
– Join a photography forum as they are often filled with many people eager and willing to help you. Here are two forums that I really enjoy and try to visit at least a few times a week: Clickinmoms and Phaunt Forum. The important thing to do when choosing a forum is to find one that is right for you. Sometimes it may take you a while to find one that is just the right fit. This type of resource can be so valuable as you will have many, not just me, willing to help you.
– I love seeing before and after shots. Please continue to share with me and post them to my Flickr group. I approve these submissions weekly and if you include permission for me to use them, along with step by step instructions, you may just see them in a future Blueprint on my blog.
If you are just starting out in Photography, I highly recommend reading Understanding Exposure. It will help you learn how to shoot in manual and get a better grasp on lighting.
If you are trying to learn Photoshop there are thousands of amazing resources to consider. Start at my blog – you can watch video tutorials and read Photoshop tips/tutorials and before and after images with step by step blueprints. As you know, I teach online group workshops and one on one training. NAPP (National Association of Photoshop Professionals) is an amazing resource for learning Photoshop, as they have thousands of videos, a help desk and much more.
Thank you for your business and for following my blog. Keep watching for more Photography and Photoshop tips, tricks and tutorials.