The Word is Photos NOT Photo’s

Free Photoshop Actions and Lightroom Presets by MCP™

The Word is Photos NOT Photo’s

I am the last person, according to my husband, who should be giving a punctuation lesson.  One of his biggest pet peeves is apostrophe errors.  It has started rubbing off on me.

As a result today’s quick tip is a lesson in apostrophes.

An apostrophe does not mean “warning – an ‘s’ is coming.”  It indicates possession or a contraction. Those are the only two reasons to use one.

If you have more than one of something it gets an “s” not an ‘s or s’. While this bothers my husband daily, the time it grinds on my nerves most is when photographers write the word photo’s (to mean more than one photo).  That is incorrect.  Please stop.  You do not need to stop for me. But stop for yourself.  It looks unprofessional.  I want you to gain respect from those who read your words, your blogs, your sites.  So make sure unless that photo possesses something that there is not an apostrophe anywhere nearby.

That said, remember my grammar is not perfect, actually not close to perfect.  And I get corrected all the time.  So do not take it personally.  Just fix it now that you know.

Happy Thanksgiving if you celebrate.

Jodi

Free Photoshop Actions and Lightroom Presets by MCP™
Macro Photography on a Budget: Shoot Close-Up Cheaply
Blueprint: Fan Share {Bringing Your Background to Life}

1. November 25, 2009 at 4:25 pm —

I am forever typing sneek peak and then having to correct it. I know it's wrong as soon as I type it. But, I also do this stuff verbally, changing the first letter of two words around.

2. Dionne
    November 25, 2009 at 11:22 am —

AMEN!

3. November 25, 2009 at 11:08 am —

Haha, you just couldn’t hold it in a minute longer, huh?

It miffs me off too.

4. November 25, 2009 at 10:22 am —

love it!

5. November 25, 2009 at 9:56 am —

not to start this as a pet peeve thread or anything, but it’s the rare person who uses the word comprise correctly!! something is not “comprised of.” it may be “composed of” other things, but it is not “comprised of” other things. a patchwork quilt comprises hundreds of pieces. a crowd comprises 250 people.

that plus the ‘s, and also nucular. don’t get me started.

6. Shelly LeBlanc
    November 25, 2009 at 9:51 am —

You are so funny!!! I am the Grammar Queen – misspellings and poor grammar drive me out of my mind. I usually only correct my husband though. Thank you for saying the words.
    Its vs. it’s is my pet peeve.

7. November 25, 2009 at 9:50 am —

Except for it, it’s, its’….those are a bit more confusing when it comes to apostrophes (see, no apostrophe’s!). I’m still trying to decipher the rules on THAT…

But yeah, there’s nothing like seeing a blog or website with the word photo’s…when it isn’t signifying some type of possession. Thanks for this. Hope many “offenders” read and fix!

8. November 25, 2009 at 9:46 am —

GAH! That drives me bonkers too! And another…..lense for lens….GAH!

9. November 25, 2009 at 9:45 am —

Oh yes!! That absolutely drives me bonkers. I wonder how I can tactfully direct a few people to read this blog post . . . .

10. November 25, 2009 at 2:38 pm —

Ohhh this is a good one! I had a lady argue with me that she should put a comma before the word and in their names. I just gave up. Bob, Mary, Joey, and Timmy. *sigh* And dont even get me started on their there and they're!!!

11. November 25, 2009 at 9:31 am —

THANK YOU!!! Like your husband, apostrophe errors eat at me, too. The biggest offender in my book? When people have some sign/boulder/whatever by their front door and it has their name on it: The Smith’s
    The Smith’s what? The Smith’s rock? The Smith’s sign??? PLEASE people, stop marking your territory! :- D Really does drive me nuts, so I’m glad to see you’re shedding some light on the subject!

12. November 25, 2009 at 2:30 pm —

thank you!!! this is a pet peeve of mine, too. yep, sneak PEAK is another one….

13. November 25, 2009 at 9:29 am —

Great blog post. This is a huge pet peeve of mine haha 🙂

14. November 25, 2009 at 2:26 pm —

Photographers love to say sneek peak instead of sneak peek

15. November 25, 2009 at 2:25 pm —

I am such a grammar geek and bad grammar drives me crazy on professional sites!

16. November 25, 2009 at 2:19 pm —

I'm and English teacher so I can certainly appreciate this one! Thanks for sharing this tid bit with all of us.

17. November 25, 2009 at 2:04 pm —

And when customers what to put "The Smith's" on their greeting cards. The Smith's what? The Smith's dog? House? Tree? LOL I usually encourage them to say "The Smith Family." Gets around the whole sticky mess. 😀

18. November 25, 2009 at 2:01 pm —

lol!! love it!

19. November 25, 2009 at 2:00 pm —

good one.

20. November 25, 2009 at 1:59 pm —

I wish there was a LOVE button. I see this all the time and it drives me insane.