Watermark Your Images in Photoshop CS5: FREE & EASY

Adobe Photoshop CS5

Watermarking and re-sizing are two effective ways to protect your photos from theft on the internet. And they also brand your images, which is an added bonus. While people may still copy or take a screen shot, prominent logos on re-sized photos make it harder for customers to print your images without permission.

Watermarking and adding logos to images can be accomplished in a variety of ways using Photoshop.  You can add your branding with Photoshop actions and apply it one image at a time or by creating a batchable logo action. This is very effective if  built correctly, but is not easy for most people to do.  Another common way to add a logo or watermark is using the brush tool in Photoshop. You can watch the video tutorial and learn how.  This works on most versions of Photoshop.  It works well but if you have Photoshop CS 4 and CS5 there is an almost miraculous way to watermark your images.

The Russell Brown Adobe Watermark Panel is an innovative way to add your watermark or logo and re-size hundreds of images in minutes.  Add your logo to the top, bottom, right, left or center.  Specify how close or far you want the watermark from the edge of your image.  You get to decide the size and opacity of the branding.

The only way to get the script and watermark panel for Photoshop CS4 is to become a member of the NAPP (National Association of Photoshop Professionals). Dr. Russell Brown, a Photoshop genius, created this script and panel extension.

In Photoshop CS5, you can download this tool without being a NAPP member (though I highly recommend joining for so many other reasons).  In my conversation with Dr. Brown, he granted me permission to share the download link with you on my blog. I have embedded his video below so you can see how revolutionary this will be for your workflow.

TwitterFacebookPinterestGoogle Plus

Laser says

I joined NAPP during the CS5 introduction but can’t find this on their site. Can yu help me out?

THANK YOU!! I’ve been looking for something like this for years. I just purchased CS5 and now my work flow is so much easier. Thank you again!

Nancy says

Thank you for this post! I have recently installed CS5, and I am really excited to get this watermark working, but so far am just getting an error message “SyntaxError: Expected:}:1″ Has anyone else run into this problem yet?

HEEEELPPPP Hi – I am fairly new to the whole photoshop scene and I have elements 7. It is driving me crazy because it shuts down in the middle of editing, if someone knows why that would be helpful – also can someone tell me the difference between cs5, elements, and photoshop (the full version) Thanks…

Hi there, I was getting an error also and if you go to Russell’s site it actually says they are having issues with it right now and to check back as they are working on it.
    I love it and hope to get it loaded and working soon.
    Smiles ☼

Thanks for your reply Jodi, and thank you Judith for your info – I am glad to know I’m not the only one having troubles with it… I am looking forward to using it, it sounds GREAT!

Kelly says

I’m having trouble getting the Watermarking Panel to work. I have followed all of the instructions on installing the Panel, yet when I try and use it, my extensions are all greyed out. Any help or suggestions on fixing this problem would be most appreciated. Thanks.

Works great! Now how do I use this extension as an action or what is the best way to batch hundreds of files efficiently? So far, it only allows me to use images opened in PS. Is there also a way to select files in Bridge, then run the extension as a batch? Please help! Thanks.

Sue McFarland says

So not fair that you can get this for free only if you have CS5!! I have 4 and cannot afford anything since I paid full price for it…lol!

Works great for me in CS5. No problems.

Just a question … I can’t get the process to copy folder structures … read say all the jpg files in all of the subfolder of “My Pictures” and write the new images to a set of new subfolders in “My Pictures 2″ … am I missing something or expecting too much … or both ?

Any help much appreciated.

Bill says

Downloaded the software and it’s doesn’t work for me. Leaves a very harsh layer over my photos. Had to delete all of them. AVS software does a much better job without changing the texture of the photos. Lightroom is good and AcDsee. Mr. Brown needs to burn a little more midnight oil. Thanks anyway! Bill

So often now they are edited out anyway. If you are going to use a watermark make you use a small one and tile it across the image … this will make it much harder to remove.

Rachel says

Your post indicates there in an embedded video showing how to use it. Where is the video? I can’t seem to find it

ambi says

but how to use it…i am beginner with photoshop. you have written so much but forgotten to mention how to use it

Rik says

Was VERY slow to load into CS5 – I thought it wasn’t working – but gave it the benefit of the doubt and waited.
    It is slow to process files (single or batch) – but maybe that’s partially my computer. I’m not sure as I’ve never had anything run so slowly previously. But I have to say – once I got it set to my liking it seems to work wel. So far, so good!

THANK YOU!!!

1. […] 02:06 PM John Nack on Adobe : New Watermark Panel for Photoshop CS5 Watermark Your Images in Photoshop CS5: FREE & EASY | MCP Photoshop Actions and Tutorials Blog f… ————————— Real men shoot in Manual Mode! Sonny Cantu Photography | SCP Blog | […]