Digital Workflow Using Photoshop and Adobe Camera Raw and Bridge

The Winner of the $100 Gift Certificate to Simplicity Photography Designs is...
Photography Tips: Shooting in Full Sun at any time of the Day

1. Jenna Stubbs
    August 2, 2010 at 9:18 am — Reply

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this article because I’m sure it took a lot of time. This is perfect for me because I am switching from Elements to CS5 this week and had no idea what kind of workflow I should be utilizing to help save time with all the saving, renaming, resizing etc. I will definitely be referring back to this.

2. August 2, 2010 at 9:39 am — Reply

Awesome article… great info. I learned a lot. 🙂

3. August 2, 2010 at 9:41 am — Reply

I clearly don’t know a quarter of what I should know! Didn’t even know half of this stuff existed. How terrible is that?! This article was awesome. Thank you so much for taking the time to explain everything but more importantly thank you for showing the screen shots. This is the only blog that totally stalk. Great information always.

4. August 2, 2010 at 9:56 am — Reply

Fantastic job, thanks so much!

5. August 2, 2010 at 10:09 am — Reply

What a timely post! I woke up at 7 am this morning fretting over a senior photo shoot from yesterday and today’s family photo shoot that I will be editing over the course of the week. I spend way too much time editing and really need to work on speeding up my process!!! I turned on my computer and came to MCP since I know there is the speed editing class and lo and behold this was today’s topic. I need to print this off and work on some of these tips! Thanks for sharing and putting this together for us!

6. August 2, 2010 at 10:24 am — Reply

nice post. thanks.

7. August 2, 2010 at 10:58 am — Reply

Barbie, what a great article! You really have explained very well and with perfect detail how to process and batch in Bridge. You and I have spoken about this before but I never really quite got until now, now that you have spelled it out line by line.
    Question, you are making the PSDs in a size for viewing and maybe small prints. Does this mean for large portraits I would need to go back and resize the original RAW file output instead of the PSD? Are you using Smart Objects here for sizing up?
    Barbie, thanks again.
    David Wright
    Photographic Artist

8. August 2, 2010 at 11:31 am — Reply

Glad it was helpful!

David, in answer to your questions, I do not upsize the PSD’s. They are the same size as the RAW file that comes straight out of the camera, but converted to 300ppi from the default 72ppi. Most of my clients prefer the 16×20 wall portraits, so it hasn’t been an issue.

I am not using Smart Objects at this time.

9. August 2, 2010 at 11:32 am — Reply

Thank you! I knew I could get more out of Bridge, but I wasn’t exactly sure how and I haven’t had the time to really dive in. This was very helpful. Thanks so much!

Christina Roth
    Summit View Photos

10. Diane
    August 2, 2010 at 11:47 am — Reply

This is terrific. I really need to get my workflow organized. I was wondering how to modify actions? I know some of them flatten an image and would love a tutorial on how to modify..Jodi?

• August 2, 2010 at 12:14 pm — Reply

Well it depends on the action. Certain actions flatten because it is necessary to move to the next step. Others do so just so batching is easier. I teach modifying actions in my Speed Editing class. The last one of the year is coming up this month. Might be worth looking into.

11. August 2, 2010 at 12:50 pm — Reply

I might be in the wrong section for the Simplicity-MCP contest.

Regardless, great blog post! I really lack knowledge on how to use photoshop.

I would love to buy your little bag of tricks.
    and I am a fan!
    Thank you for educating the masses!!!

12. Mara
    August 2, 2010 at 12:50 pm — Reply

Thank you for taking the time to write this article!

I use Lightroom and CS4 – I am curious for a similar tutorial for using these programs…maybe something to come in a future post? 🙂

thanks again!

13. Miranda Glaeser
    August 2, 2010 at 1:19 pm — Reply

This article blew my mind!!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you! I’m just starting out and there is so much to learn, but this really helps.

14. August 2, 2010 at 4:10 pm — Reply

Great job, as always girl!!!

15. Jenna Stubbs
    August 2, 2010 at 4:44 pm — Reply

I have a quick question. I am fixing to be new to the Mac world, but is there an advantage/disadvantage to doing some of this in Bridge as opposed to Lightroom? I’ve heard LR is great organizational program but Bridge might just meet my needs for now. Any other reason to choose Bridge over LR?

16. August 2, 2010 at 5:08 pm — Reply

Jenna–

I am no expert in Lightroom. I downloaded the trial version when it came out and played for a few weeks. I found that it actually added to my workload/processing time, instead of saving me work and time. Now, I may not have been using it to its’s fullest capabilities–in fact, I’m sure I wasn’t. But Bridge is part of Photoshop, and therefore doesn’t cost any more money, and I have been able to do everything I need to in Bridge and ACR easily and effectively.

17. August 2, 2010 at 5:26 pm — Reply

Very helpful…thanks for sharing!

18. August 2, 2010 at 6:52 pm — Reply

Wow this is wonderful information and timely. I just got a new computer and upgraded to the full CS suite. I am going to go through this step by step to see how I can speed up the process that I am currently doing and make it better. Thanks so much for sharing such a complete process with us all.

19. Aurora Anderson
    August 2, 2010 at 6:56 pm — Reply

Like Jodi, you are a Godsend to rookie photographers like myself. Thanks so much for writing this article on workflow. Cracked up at your liquify filter on self-portraits too ~ def a girls’ best friend!

My question: You said you run the IMAGE PROCESSOR by going to TOOLS/PHOTOSHOP/IMAGE PROCESSOR and then you create your PSD Folder and subsequent PSD files. When are your JPGs created? You said by the time you are finished with a session, you will have several folders (jpg, psd, etc) and that the JPG folder was created by the Image Processor.

I thought I was supposed to create my JPGs from my PSD images.

Thanks!

20. Brenda
    August 2, 2010 at 9:21 pm — Reply

Barbie this tutorial is awesome and really very helpful.

21. Diane
    August 2, 2010 at 10:24 pm — Reply

Barbie, I loved your tutorial, I finally understand the image processor and see how much time that will save! On your answer to David’s question, about the file size that comes out of the camera but converted to 300 ppi from the default of 72 ppi. What do you do to convert them? Don’t they all come in at 300 ppi? When I open my photos they are all at 300 ppi in the image size in photoshop. Am I looking at the wrong file? Just confused here, sorry!

Jodi, definetly looking into your speed editing class!

22. Melissa
    August 2, 2010 at 11:18 pm — Reply

Thank you! So helpful.

23. August 3, 2010 at 4:00 pm — Reply

Thank you so much for this writeup. I’m pretty sure it’s going to change my life. I have been wasting so much time!

24. August 12, 2010 at 10:25 pm — Reply

Thank you SO much for this post. Seriously, it helps newbies like me more than you can imagine.
    Posting things like this makes me want to support your business! When I can save up the funds, well, lets just say I have a llooonnnngggggg running list of the actions I’d like to get 😉
    You rock.
    Thank you!

25. September 20, 2010 at 2:16 pm — Reply

Thank you for this – thank you!!! I’ve mostly used lightroom, which I love, but I see the advantages to bridge now too.

26. […] First, let’s talk about batch editing in Adobe Camera Raw. […]

27. Barb L
    November 16, 2010 at 10:13 am — Reply

Great article. I’m just trying to develop my workflow and this article was a big help to me.

28. May 11, 2011 at 12:43 pm — Reply

Great article, but what do you do with the liquify tool to the eyes?!?!? I never saw you write what exactly you are doing! Thanks!