Have a question? Reach us at: (866) 903-0998

Digital Workflow Using Photoshop and Adobe Camera Raw and Bridge

Free Photoshop Actions and Lightroom Presets by MCP™ Free Photoshop Actions and Lightroom Presets by MCP™
The Winner of the $100 Gift Certificate to Simplicity Photography Designs is...
Photography Tips: Shooting in Full Sun at any time of the Day

1. Brenda
    August 2, 2010 at 9:21 pm —

Barbie this tutorial is awesome and really very helpful.

2. Aurora Anderson
    August 2, 2010 at 6:56 pm —

Like Jodi, you are a Godsend to rookie photographers like myself. Thanks so much for writing this article on workflow. Cracked up at your liquify filter on self-portraits too ~ def a girls’ best friend!

My question: You said you run the IMAGE PROCESSOR by going to TOOLS/PHOTOSHOP/IMAGE PROCESSOR and then you create your PSD Folder and subsequent PSD files. When are your JPGs created? You said by the time you are finished with a session, you will have several folders (jpg, psd, etc) and that the JPG folder was created by the Image Processor.

I thought I was supposed to create my JPGs from my PSD images.

Thanks!

3. August 2, 2010 at 6:52 pm —

Wow this is wonderful information and timely. I just got a new computer and upgraded to the full CS suite. I am going to go through this step by step to see how I can speed up the process that I am currently doing and make it better. Thanks so much for sharing such a complete process with us all.

4. August 2, 2010 at 5:26 pm —

Very helpful…thanks for sharing!

5. August 2, 2010 at 5:08 pm —

Jenna–

I am no expert in Lightroom. I downloaded the trial version when it came out and played for a few weeks. I found that it actually added to my workload/processing time, instead of saving me work and time. Now, I may not have been using it to its’s fullest capabilities–in fact, I’m sure I wasn’t. But Bridge is part of Photoshop, and therefore doesn’t cost any more money, and I have been able to do everything I need to in Bridge and ACR easily and effectively.

6. Jenna Stubbs
    August 2, 2010 at 4:44 pm —

I have a quick question. I am fixing to be new to the Mac world, but is there an advantage/disadvantage to doing some of this in Bridge as opposed to Lightroom? I’ve heard LR is great organizational program but Bridge might just meet my needs for now. Any other reason to choose Bridge over LR?

7. August 2, 2010 at 4:10 pm —

Great job, as always girl!!!

8. Miranda Glaeser
    August 2, 2010 at 1:19 pm —

This article blew my mind!!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you! I’m just starting out and there is so much to learn, but this really helps.

9. Mara
    August 2, 2010 at 12:50 pm —

Thank you for taking the time to write this article!

I use Lightroom and CS4 – I am curious for a similar tutorial for using these programs…maybe something to come in a future post? 🙂

thanks again!

10. August 2, 2010 at 12:50 pm —

I might be in the wrong section for the Simplicity-MCP contest.

Regardless, great blog post! I really lack knowledge on how to use photoshop.

I would love to buy your little bag of tricks.
    and I am a fan!
    Thank you for educating the masses!!!

11. Diane
    August 2, 2010 at 11:47 am —

This is terrific. I really need to get my workflow organized. I was wondering how to modify actions? I know some of them flatten an image and would love a tutorial on how to modify..Jodi?

• August 2, 2010 at 12:14 pm —

Well it depends on the action. Certain actions flatten because it is necessary to move to the next step. Others do so just so batching is easier. I teach modifying actions in my Speed Editing class. The last one of the year is coming up this month. Might be worth looking into.

12. August 2, 2010 at 11:32 am —

Thank you! I knew I could get more out of Bridge, but I wasn’t exactly sure how and I haven’t had the time to really dive in. This was very helpful. Thanks so much!

Christina Roth
    Summit View Photos

13. August 2, 2010 at 11:31 am —

Glad it was helpful!

David, in answer to your questions, I do not upsize the PSD’s. They are the same size as the RAW file that comes straight out of the camera, but converted to 300ppi from the default 72ppi. Most of my clients prefer the 16×20 wall portraits, so it hasn’t been an issue.

I am not using Smart Objects at this time.

14. August 2, 2010 at 10:58 am —

Barbie, what a great article! You really have explained very well and with perfect detail how to process and batch in Bridge. You and I have spoken about this before but I never really quite got until now, now that you have spelled it out line by line.
    Question, you are making the PSDs in a size for viewing and maybe small prints. Does this mean for large portraits I would need to go back and resize the original RAW file output instead of the PSD? Are you using Smart Objects here for sizing up?
    Barbie, thanks again.
    David Wright
    Photographic Artist

15. August 2, 2010 at 10:24 am —

nice post. thanks.

16. August 2, 2010 at 10:09 am —

What a timely post! I woke up at 7 am this morning fretting over a senior photo shoot from yesterday and today’s family photo shoot that I will be editing over the course of the week. I spend way too much time editing and really need to work on speeding up my process!!! I turned on my computer and came to MCP since I know there is the speed editing class and lo and behold this was today’s topic. I need to print this off and work on some of these tips! Thanks for sharing and putting this together for us!

17. August 2, 2010 at 9:56 am —

Fantastic job, thanks so much!

18. August 2, 2010 at 9:41 am —

I clearly don’t know a quarter of what I should know! Didn’t even know half of this stuff existed. How terrible is that?! This article was awesome. Thank you so much for taking the time to explain everything but more importantly thank you for showing the screen shots. This is the only blog that totally stalk. Great information always.

19. August 2, 2010 at 9:39 am —

Awesome article… great info. I learned a lot. 🙂

20. Jenna Stubbs
    August 2, 2010 at 9:18 am —

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this article because I’m sure it took a lot of time. This is perfect for me because I am switching from Elements to CS5 this week and had no idea what kind of workflow I should be utilizing to help save time with all the saving, renaming, resizing etc. I will definitely be referring back to this.