Have a question? Reach us at: (866) 903-0998

A Lot Has Changed In The Past 10 Years

Free Photoshop Actions and Lightroom Presets by MCP™

A Lot Has Changed In The Past 10 Years

Happy Birthday to Ellie and Jenna!

Today you turn 10 years old. WOW. No more single digits.  10 years ago this morning, with my stomach protruding more than you can imagine, I drove myself to the hospital thinking you’d be in this world in a few weeks. A short time later I was informed that 12/19 was the day, and a c-section would happen right away.  Your dad left a meeting and rushed to the hospital. Other relatives followed.

After some tugging and pulling, I heard you, Ellie, screaming at the top of your lungs.  Though you were born at 35 1/2 weeks, there was no doubt your lungs were fully developed.  Moments later, more crying.  This time, it was you Jenna, with a completely different sounding cry.  Your first cries were the most beautiful sounds I had ever heard.

I was so happy that day, and 10 years later am so proud of both of you.  Each of you bring so much joy, laughter and smiles to me and everyone you encounter.  Ellie, you are kind, smart, creative, artistic, and helpful.  Jenna, you are so witty, funny, loving, clever, and giving.  You have “hearts of gold” – and I am so lucky to have you as my children.

For something fun for you, as well as my blog readers, I wanted to share some of the technology that was in our home when you were born, 10 years ago on December 19th, 2001.

• Our computer was connected to the Internet for dial-up.  We had a separate phone line just to get online.
  • Dad and I shared a computer at home.  Imagine that now.  We did have separate email through AOL.com.
  • We had a fax machine hooked up in our home office. Do you even know what that is?
  • We watched movies on a VCR.  We didn’t get a DVD player until soon after you were born.
  • HDTV was something we had seen in California on vacation a few years before, but we wouldn’t get it at home for a few more years.
  • We didn’t have Digital Cable, so no On Demand movies or DVR.
  • We listened to music on CDs.  There were no iPods yet.
  • You couldn’t get email on cell phones.  There were Blackberries, but they didn’t have phones in them yet.
  • Most cell phones did not have cameras.
  • There was no such thing as sending a text message.
  • We had no idea what “Social Media” could possibly mean.
  • There was no YouTube. If we tried to watch a video online, it would probably crash the computer.
  • Photoshop 7 was the latest way to edit pictures.
  • The word “blog” did not exist.
  • I photographed you with a film point and shoot for the first year of your life.
  • And no MCP Actions either.

I hope you enjoyed reading what it was like before you were born.

Ellie and Jenna, you inspire me, motivate me and are everything to me. Always remember how much I love you.

XOXO,

Your Mommy

To the readers of this blog, think back ten years.  What has changed in your world?  Join me in wishing Ellie and Jenna a happy birthday by sharing interesting things you have seen happen since the day they were born.

Free Photoshop Actions and Lightroom Presets by MCP™
Shootsac and Tote & Shoot Winners are...
Amazing Work From Home Secrets for Photographers

1. December 19, 2011 at 6:55 pm —

Happy Birthday girls, you share your birthday with my dear old Dad who turns 80! Imagine how much life and the world has changed since he was a baby. His dad served Australia in the first world war, they lived through the great depression and world war 2, definitely no computers, telephones or anything except a wireless then. the form of communicating was mail and telegram only. His first job was working for Qantas on the flying boats and continued for the next 30 years from propellor planes to large jets.
    Imagine what the girls life would be like in another 70 years and the technology available then, they too will laugh at the old days where we actually used to sit at computers to communicate!

2. December 19, 2011 at 7:02 pm —

10 years ago I was 22 and unknowingly almost engaged. (my hubby proposed on Christmas Eve)
    In ten years, I got married, have 2 dogs, lived in 6 houses, had a son, and then a daughter, started my own Etsy shop. 10 years ago, I was dead set against digital cameras…and now I just upgraded to my 2nd DSLR….alot has changed for me…just imagine the changes that will come between 10 and 20…YIKES!!

Happy birthday Jenna and Ellie!!!
    Enjoy,
    Love Emily

3. Carrie Waldmann
    December 19, 2011 at 7:19 pm —

Happy Birthday girls! I also have twins that will be 10 in June. I know the incredible journey!!!

4. Shayna
    December 19, 2011 at 7:20 pm —

Happy birthday to your daughters 🙂

5. December 19, 2011 at 7:39 pm —

Happy birthday to your twins! I also have fraternal twin girls, they will be 6 in March…my how time flies!

6. Stephanie Casner
    December 19, 2011 at 8:16 pm —

Happy bday to your beautiful daughters, I do have twins myself, they will be 12 in Jan <3

7. Cristina Lee
    December 19, 2011 at 9:09 pm —

What a beautiful letter. When they are older this letter will mean the world to them. Happy Birthday Jenna & Ellie!

8. Jen
    December 19, 2011 at 9:18 pm —

Oh, so sweet!! Happy 10th Birthday ladies!! 🙂

9. December 19, 2011 at 9:19 pm —

Happy birthday to your girls. This is such a sweet post. Children are such a blessing.

10. Kathleen Turner
    December 19, 2011 at 10:22 pm —

Happy birthday baby girls! And, Jodi, you look like such the proud and happy mama in the picture. Thanks for sharing your little walk down memory lane!

11. December 19, 2011 at 10:44 pm —

Happy birthday to the girls!

One thing that changed a lot in the last 10 yrs is how we search and apply for jobs or homes. Back then you checked the paper, called and made an appointment and then waited for a call back. Nowadays you search online (Craigs List), check the location online (google maps) and get notified via email for appts or other info.

Another thing that changed is rsvp’ing. It has now become socially acceptable to email or message thru FB your rsvp. Ten yrs ago there was no social media (twitter or FB) and while some people may have had email, it was not considered good etiquette to reply that way.

12. December 20, 2011 at 12:06 am —

The sweetest post… You are so lucky {TWINS} = I love!.. For Now ONLY BO and Boca are the babies… 🙂

13. Angie
    December 20, 2011 at 7:21 am —

What precious gifts from God! Happy birthday, girls!

14. December 20, 2011 at 8:30 am —

Happy birthday girls!

15. Karen
    December 20, 2011 at 8:48 am —

Happy birthday to the girls… and to you, Mom! You labored ten years ago and have been laboring in love ever since! God’s love and strength to you and your husband so you can continue the greatest work ever :>)

16. Brenda Reamy
    December 19, 2012 at 7:17 pm —

Happy Birthday to your lovely young ladies! Enjoy every minute of every age because the following years will go even faster! My daughter will be THIRTY in March! I am too young to have a 30 year old child! lol 🙂