Have a question? Reach us at: (866) 903-0998

Because Camera Equipment Really Does Matter

Free Photoshop Actions and Lightroom Presets by MCP™

Because Camera Equipment Really Does Matter

I think it’s safe to say that most photographers are a little sensitive when they get comments like “Wow that’s a great picture what kind of camera do you own.”   It makes me chuckle a little when the most common question I get from other photographers is “Would you mind sharing what kind of camera and lens you use?”   It seems like the industry is saying “it doesn’t matter” to the outside world but in reality we know it really does.

I’m not saying that anyone could purchase the Nikon D4 and immediately start putting out awe-inspiring photographs.  But I will say this; I think we are kidding ourselves when we pretend like equipment doesn’t make a difference because in my opinion it makes a significant difference.

I used to shoot with an entry-level camera and I loved it.  75% of the time I could produce good photographs.  But that other 25% of the time was driving me nuts.  I didn’t want to be restricted to perfect lighting anymore.  I was begging for more freedom.

If you are thinking about upgrading your equipment, here are a few questions to ask yourself:

• Is my current camera limiting my creativity?  If you feel like you are capable of more but your camera’s ISO capabilities are too low, or your autofocus is too slow investing in a full frame camera might be a good decision.
  • I’m not feeling limited but what do I do if I feel like my images don’t stand out as much as I’d like?  A new camera will give you more flexibility but if you are looking for sharper images, creamier bokeh, or more vibrant colors it might be time to invest in a new lens.  Don’t cheat yourself here.  Good lenses are sometimes expensive but they are worth the investment especially if you are photographing for income.
  • I have a top of the line camera, and nice lens, but I still want more is there anything else?  Yes.  Sometimes we like to turn up our noses at artificial light.  But when it’s used correctly you can get beautiful soft light that opens up a whole new world to you and your creativity.

Technical knowledge, creativity, and artistic vision can’t be purchased.  Hopefully if you are already a photographer you’ve noticed those skills in yourself.   An expensive camera won’t make you an amazing photographer but it will help you to improve on the beautiful abilities that you already have.

This article was written by Kristin Wilkerson, a Utah based photographer.  You can find her on facebook.

Now it’s your turn.  What do you think?  Does the camera or lens you use help create a better image?  Yes or No – tell us what you think.

Free Photoshop Actions and Lightroom Presets by MCP™
Project MCP: Highlights for Challenge #1, Natural Light Tips
3 Questions To Ask Yourself Before Starting a Photography Business

1. Alice C.
    March 12, 2012 at 9:57 pm —

I agree! I hate when people say, oh you have a really nice camera, but I also know that I could not take the same photos with a point and shoot.

2. Tim Bradley
    March 13, 2012 at 2:05 am —

There is always something better, the manufacturers would go bust if there wasn’t. But I agree with the overall sentiment. Can we please have a Pentax image in the banner? There is life beyond Canonikon!d

3. oread
    March 13, 2012 at 5:41 am —

haha

4. Jesse
    March 13, 2012 at 8:37 am —

I too agree with this. I went from a D60 to a D7000. Where I see a huge difference in most featues I still need to buy some good glass. But dam its expensive! Ha….

5. March 13, 2012 at 12:03 pm —

@Katherine I’m glad I’m not the only one in the dark (literally) ages with the D80. I’ve been wanting to get the D700 for over a year now, but with money and it always being on backorder have kept me from it. I feel very limited being in low light especially as a newborn photographer going into people’s homes. I never know what I’m walking into. There is a time when your talent isn’t enough, your equipment is very important to get that shot you see in your head.

6. guest
    March 13, 2012 at 3:35 pm —

😀

7. March 13, 2012 at 10:22 pm —

Love Kristin W 🙂

8. March 14, 2012 at 9:45 am —

Great article! Professional camera equipment is important! It’s all about the color management, camera tripods and Sigma lenses.

9. You are right: equipment certainly matters, especially if you offer professional services. Naturally, one needs to undestand the manual mode well when stepping over from a consumer to a full frame camera (and before you start calling yourself a pro). If you want semi-candid images of children playing indoors – you will be happy and feel free with a full frame and strong lens at high ISO speed. If you do fashion shoots you will normally want ISO 100 just because of some printing quality issues. And then you must have the lighting equipment as well. There is a lot of useful equipment and it can be very tempting to upgrade all the time. I guess you should ask yourself a question: what equipment will be necessary for the type of photography that I do?

10. March 21, 2012 at 10:49 am —

“If you feel like you are capable of more but your camera’s ISO capabilities are too low, or your autofocus is too slow investing in a full frame camera might be a good decision.”

This is me. I’ve outgrown my Rebel and need to step up. I’m saving up!