facebook_pixel
Have a question? Reach us at: (866) 903-0998

How Your Social Network Status Can Be Dangerous To Your Business

How Your Social Network Status Can Be Dangerous To Your Business

facebook twitter pinterest logos

I’m a young photographer and just getting my business off the ground. I find that I am quickly learning the techniques and strategy of managing a photography business.

One thing I have not seen much discussion on is the topic of social network status’ and the dangers it can do to your business.

Let me explain: When I first began my business, I found photographers I liked. I watched their businesses and followed their social networking streams. I observed that some would post statuses like “I am so excited about Mary* and John’s* engagement photoshoot!” or a quick “Congratulations to Mark* and Stephanie* on your beautiful wedding day!”.

This is a great idea. It shows your clients that you really care about them, and it gets them excited about their pictures.

As I continued to watch other photographers (I promise I wasn’t being a creepy stalker), I began to notice that some would post negative status’ about their business, work, or even clients. Posts similar to “No, I can’t take 50 pounds off you in photoshop!”** and “Beautiful girls make my job so easy!”** and “Ugh, I have so much editing to do!”**.

I know that people really DO ask for photographers to take weight off them in photoshop and I know it’s a joke amongst many photographers.

The big question: “should we really post that as our status?”

If I were the client who had requested to be slimmer in Photoshop, I would feel so embarrassed and wouldn’t want to patronize at that photography business again. It might come off as you (the photographer) “complaining” about your job.

There certainly isn’t anything wrong with the statement “Beautiful girls make my job so easy!” But if I were a client who had high self-esteem issues, I might think that particular photographer wouldn’t enjoy the task of taking my pictures. It might make me feel like I have to be pretty in order to get beautiful pictures. And, while it does make all of our jobs easier when we have an eye-pleasing subject, should we post that all over the internet? How will it make people who don’t have that “perfect face and figure” feel?

As for the last statement of “Ugh, I have so much editing to do” – once again, it sounds like complaining. What if there is a client who is waiting on pictures from you and sees that status? They might feel like they are intruding on your time. They may think you don’t enjoy editing their photos or aren’t excited about their pictures. I think a good photographer should be excited about the pictures they take and not complain about how much editing they have to do. I know editing can sometimes become overwhelming, but should we post this on the internet where current (and future) clients can see it?

It would turn me away from any photography business.

Along with negative things about your business, work, or clients, even talking about how wasted you are going to get, or how much partying you’re planning on doing during the weekend is likely inappropriate.  Remember, information on the social media stays forever.

Perhaps I am reading too much into this “status” stuff. Maybe I’m not. But, wouldn’t you rather be safer than sorry? I’ve decided that in my own business (and even personal) I am going to keep my status’ or blogs positive. If I need to rant about something (it happens to every photographer) then I will do it to my husband in private – where no harm can be done. Not on Facebook or my blog where the whole world can see it.

So what about you? Will you make an effort to keep your status’ or blog positive?

Faith resides in Mississippi and is married to the love of her life, Jacob. She loves MCP Actions and wouldn’t have been able to get as far as she is now without them. You can check out Faith’s work at www.facebook.com/faithrileyphoto or www.faithriley.com.

*Names are fictitious and not real life examples.

**Examples are made up and not real life examples. Anything seeming the same is simply coincidence.

Now it’s your turn.  Do you agree or disagree with this post?

Share your thoughts in the blog comment section below.

Free Patriotic Photoshop Template * Perfect for Memorial Day, 4th of July
Project MCP: Highlights from May, Challenge #4

1. May 25, 2012 at 11:21 am —

totally agree! I always keep my personal facebook private in case someone happens to upload a picture of me at a bar or something and keep my business page positive 🙂

2. May 26, 2012 at 2:04 am —

I’m a positive, outgoing person, but struggle with being creative on my Facebook biz page. We want our personalities to shine through. What is posted takes thought, but done in a way that seems fun and spontaneous. It takes some effort.

Last fall my husband came home from work, he quickly loaded the van with the things I needed for the shoot 30 minutes away. Half way to the shoot I called him and asked if he’d stuck my camera bag in the back. Nope. I was on my way to the shoot without my camera. He threw the kids in the car and rushed to meet me with it.

All turned out well. It was a bit “comical” thinking about a photographer leaving her camera at home (I could laugh later…not at the time).

After the shoot, I was going to post a comment on my FB page about the “humor” and “irony” of the situation. My personal friends who like my page would get a kick-out-of-it and I might get some laugh, but what message would it send future customers about my responsibility? It was a one-time incident, and some might see me as someone who can laugh at myself, but future customers might interpret me as being unreliable.

Yes, think twice, three times, about what we share.

3. Sarah C
    May 26, 2012 at 12:40 pm —

Thanks for posting. I agree. We should definitely keep it positive!

4. Jean
    May 26, 2012 at 6:37 pm —

twitted more…

5. May 28, 2012 at 6:25 pm —

OMG this is a great article!!! I see so many photographers posting craziness on their page and I just want to email them and say “please pull that post, what are you thinking” If you want to vent get on the phone with your trusted friend and do it social media is not the place!!!

6. May 30, 2012 at 3:14 pm —

I live in a small town, and I learned long ago that the person next to me in the movie theater line is probably the second cousin or current boyfriend of the person whose dumb behaviour I just described to my friend. I treat the internet like a virtual small town, and try never to post anything I wouldn’t say loudly in the grocery store.

7. oneupper
    May 31, 2012 at 4:28 pm —

Thank you for this post.

Plural for status is statuses.

8. June 1, 2012 at 6:17 pm —

I so agree with this article. I could never imagine putting up such distasteful comments about the people who are ultimately putting food in my children’s mouths. I am so honored to be a photographer and take my status very seriously…even my personal one. My social network motto is “don’t post anything you would be unhappy to have the whole world read” … These things have a way of being aired like dirty laundry.

There is enough negativity out there and it turns my tummy to read much of it. I am drawn to this career because I feel the need to capture the beauty of this world and it’s people… All shapes and sizes.

Thanks for sharing this article.

9. momof9
    June 1, 2012 at 9:03 pm —

Very wise Faith.

10. Kate
    June 3, 2012 at 11:26 am —

Totally agree! I actually wrote a post about this same topic a few months ago. We are the faces of our business, both professionally and personally, and some things just don’t need to be posted online. 🙂

11. June 3, 2012 at 7:50 pm —

I totally agree with this article. 100%

12. Christina
    June 4, 2012 at 12:17 am —

This is great! I completely agree. I’ve recently heard some photographers say, “I love to fill my frame with a beautiful face.” Or “I love photographing a beautiful face.” The pics were of VERY model-like, gorgeous women. As someone who struggles with her skin, I immediately think what a pain in the rear it would be for them to photograph me. Total turn off. Photography shouldn’t be just for the ‘beautiful'(term used very loosly). I also saw a photog comment on another photog’s work, telling her the photo was well done. She replied, obviously very sarcastically, “Thanks. I’ve got a nice camera.” Maybe it’s just because I’m exposed to the photography world more than the average person, but I know exactly what that means. And it was just plain rude. Again, total turn off.