MCP My Photo: How 4 Photographers Edit the Same Image

I love seeing how the exact same image can look completely different depending on the vision of the photographer or photo editor.  We have a special feature on the MCP Facebook Group called #mcpmyphoto.  By tagging your photo this way, you give permission for other photographers to edit the photo using MCP Photoshop actions, Lightroom presets, and textures. You can join us and add your image after reading the group rules.

It is fun to see the different editing styles, and it’s also a helpful training tool for photographers to learn how to get different looks in Photoshop and Lightroom.

mcp-my-photo

In this beautiful image by Linda Fisher Ypulong, four photographers demonstrated how they fixed the exposure and then took the image to a whole new level.  Each used different actions and presets and had lovely results.

Linda’s camera settings: Nikon D610 –  50mm 1/320s f2.8 ISO 100

Here’s the original image – straight out of the camera.

Linda Fisher Ypulong original

MCP My Photo Version 1: Edited by Nikki Baldwin

Steps: “I started with adjustments in ACR, a brush and then overall adjustments. Then I brought it into PS and manually did some dodging and burning to draw more attention to her face, hair, clothes.
Then I ran Photoshop actions from the Inspire set. I will show my steps and layers/actions used in some screen shots.”
edits-using-photoshop-actions

And the results:

linda fisher edit Nikki Baldwin

MCP My Photo Version 2: Edited by Amy Bellair Anderson

Steps:

1. MCP Illuminate Golden Sunstream Lightroom preset
  2. MCP Infusion Lightroom presets: Define 2, Heartwarming 2,
  3. MCP Fusion actions: one click color, urban revival, and surrounded
  4. Manually adjusted the noise and blue luminance

linda fisher edit amy bellair anderson

MCP My Photo Version 3: Edited by Erin Niehenke

Steps:

1. Adjusted exposure in ACR first.
  2. In Photoshop, adjusted Levels for the sky, background, and subject.
  3. Then used the following actions from MCP Inspire: Bittersweet and Mult-Matte (dark, intense, and warm).
  4. Then used a brown-to-transparent gradient layer set to soft light, and masked mostly off the sky.
  5. Cropped to finish.

linda fisher edit erin niehenke
MCP My Photo Version 4: Edited by Lauralynn Hook

Steps:

1. Manual adjustments to brighten the shadows, exposure, and enhance the blacks on the raw file.
  2. Then brought into Photoshop CS6 and added a gradient to the sky and did some dodging and burning to and around her.
  3. Then used MCP Autumn Equinox (fall foliage, burnt firewood, pumpkin patch, Autumn Skies, and Dark Cherry Vignette)
  4. Lastly used the MCP Newborn Necessities actions (In the Spotlight, Under the Blanket, Crying for Contrast, Pick Me Up, Cake Smash, and Print Sharpie)

linda fisher edit lauralynn hook

See more edits, including Linda’s (the photographer of this beautiful image) or share your version of this — visit this link once you join our Facebook group so you can download the raw file and play.

Jodi Friedman

TwitterFacebookPinterestGoogle Plus

Comments

BethNicol says

I like 1 and 3 — 2 and 4 are a bit too harsh to my eyes. When I first looked I thought 1 must be the original. 1& 3 seem to be of the “vintage photo” school, but I like that.

Silke says

#1 It looks the most like a magazine editorial and I like the contrast on the face with the soft dreamy edit on the background.

says

I’m going to vote for #2 due to the clarity…. it’s a little too sharp for my tastes. I like the coloration of #1 the best, but personally like a bit more blacks/contrast/clarity

Jennifer says

I love #2! The true to life rawness of her surrounds stands out to me and does not take away from the subject at all, in any way. Gorgeous subject!

Jaye says

I have to go with #3. I’m not a fan of “haze” in a photograph which knocked #1 out. #2 was vivid, but a bit surreal for my tastes. #3 has a nice level of clarity, a beautiful sky color and some lovely warmth overall. #4 just seemed a little too rosy for my tastes. Great photo!

Alex says

#1 is a clear winner in my book, although a touch too warm for my tastes. I love the dreamy softness to it yet the girl pops out and is the hero of the frame – it has lifted what is an average capture. #2 is very contrasty and harsh on the girl’s skin, and it makes the background become a distraction. #3 is OK but seems to lack any punch and is a bit washed out.

Craig Myers says

1, then 3. 2 makes the scenery equal to the model. In 4 she looks pasted into the background. But clearly, each has struck a positive chord with someone.

Anne-Cathrine Nyberg says

Number 1. Number 4, I don’t like the “halo” effect around her head. Like the edit has tried to lighten her face and ended up lightening the area around her face as well.

Michele says

My favorite is #1, and #3 is a close second. I love the sky in #3, but I realize that isn’t the focus of the image. Just looking at the model and background, #1 has a softness in the background with good color, yet the model stands out nicely.

Carolyn says

#2 – I love the sharpness of the landscape. Its harshness emphasizes the softness and beauty of the model, while in of of itself it draws the eye to explore the surrounds – but the viewer ultimately returns to the girl. The contrast of textures between the model and the background force the viewer to study the entire photograph.

Jeanette says

Thank you Nikki for the editing screenshots of #1. That is absolutely the best way to convey editing information to someone learning actions. And won’t we all use (and buy!) more actions if we know how to use them properly.
    I love the softness of #3.