$0
$29.99 * Reach here for 10% off

$49.99 * 20% Off

$70 * 30% Off!!

$150 * 40% Off!!

The Secrets to Matching Image Color on Blog/Website to Photoshop?

How can I make my colors on my blog and website matching what I see in Photoshop?

Color Management: Part 1

To answer this I did some research and consulted with an Adobe expert, Jeff Tranberry.

• The short answer – many web browsers are not color managed.  If you view an image on a monitor that is not not calibrated or with a web browser that is not color managed, there is nothing you can do to completely control color looking the same.
  • Tranberry suggests “because most browsers besides Safari and Firefox 3.0 are not color managed, you need to use the lowest common denominator in order for the results to look the similar in all potential cases. The best way to do this is to convert the image to sRGB and Embed the Color Profile in Save For Web.  That way if the profile is ignored by an unmanaged browser, the colors won’t look as washed out.”
  • In order to see what your image may look like in an unmanaged web browser, you can select “Macintosh (No Color Management)” or “Windows (No Color Management)” from the Preview pop-up in the Save For Web dialog. The slight difference between “Macintosh (No Color Management)” or “Windows (No Color Management)” accounts for the difference in gamma value between the two OSes.

color-management1

Here are some helpful links from Adobe on matching color in web browsers and with HTML to Photoshop:

1. Preview image gamma at different values
  2. Color Managing Documents for online viewing
  3. Color-managing HTML documents for online viewing
Free Flag in a Flash Photoshop Action * perfect for Memorial Day, 4th of July...
Soft Proofing to Achieve Closely Matched Color Online and in Photoshop

1. May 26, 2009 at 9:58 am — Reply

Awesome info Jodi! Thanks for sharing this!

2. May 26, 2009 at 10:53 am — Reply

Thanks Jodi…I was wondering about that

3. Raquel
    May 26, 2009 at 11:05 am — Reply

Hi! I have a question that really doesn’t have much to do with this post, but I was hoping you could help me out anyway! 🙂 My photos straight out of the camera always look foggy and the color looks dull! I end up using a Define and Sharpen action in CS3 to give them some life, but I was wondering what I’m doing wrong and how I can correct this so that I don’t have to do so much post processing? Hope you can help! BTW….I LOVE THIS BLOG!!!!

• May 26, 2009 at 11:54 am — Reply

Most photos coming straight out of camera can use some contrast and editing. So it is not just you. Watch for my tutorials and Blueprints to learn how I go from before shots to after shots.

4. May 26, 2009 at 11:57 am — Reply

Thank you so much for sharing this information.

5. May 26, 2009 at 1:54 pm — Reply

I’m still having problems. Drives me nuts. I still loose gamut and I convert to sRGB and have Safari.

Deborah

6. May 26, 2009 at 3:56 pm — Reply

Thanks, Jodi! I am headed now to see if my save as file is correctly checked. I sometimes get pictures that have grey looking skin or washed out colors and can’t seem to find the culprit.

Beth

7. May 27, 2009 at 12:26 am — Reply

Hey Deborah – I’d be glad to try and figure out why you’re having problems. Shoot me an email ([email protected]) or find me on twitter (@philmackenzie) and we’ll try and fix it! 🙂

8. May 27, 2009 at 3:34 pm — Reply

I’ve been struggling with this problem and I thought this was the answer, but my screen does not have that option. I’m using CS3. Any ideas?

9. May 27, 2009 at 4:12 pm — Reply

Hey Tracie – shoot me an email ([email protected]) or a tweet (@philmackenzie) and I’ll try and help you figure it out! 🙂

10. Jody
    May 28, 2009 at 4:30 pm — Reply

Jodi, your entries always seem to be exactly what I am wondering about–I just posted a question about this today on another site. Thanks so much. I was excited to see this and ran off to give it a try, but like Tracie, I also don’t have these options. I’m using CS3 too.

11. Jody
    May 28, 2009 at 4:36 pm — Reply

Oh, I just found the sRGB option in CS3. Next to the “preset” pull down menu there are two tiny >> click on those. When you click on those, you’ll see an option for “convert to sRGB”.

So, now I’m wondering if “ICC Profile” in CS3 is the same thing as “Embed Color Profile” in CS4?

12. May 30, 2009 at 3:31 pm — Reply

Hey Jody,

Yes, ICC (International Color Consortium) profile in CS3 is the embed color profile in CS4 (to the best of my knowledge).

There’s more information on the CS3 Save for Web & Devices dialog box at Adobe’s site:

Cheers!