Learn how to read your histogram and nail your exposures: part 3

Free Photoshop Actions and Lightroom Presets by MCP™ Free Photoshop Actions and Lightroom Presets by MCP™
Learn how to read your histogram and nail your exposures: part 2
Blueprint – close-up of a cute little girl, a natural looking Photoshop edit

1. February 1, 2012 at 9:01 pm —

excellent series. Thanks John!

2. August 7, 2009 at 12:11 pm —

Thank you! I always looked at the histogram in photoshop with very basic understanding. These tutorials were perfect to really get a good sense of how to use it during shoots!

3. Jeri G
    July 29, 2009 at 10:30 am —

That was so informative. Now have to try out this method. My histogram was a mystery to me, now it makes much more sense. Thanks!

4. Juli
    July 28, 2009 at 7:58 pm —

Thank you for these three tutorials…they were wonderful! Very helpful, now I’m not so afraid of the histogram. Now just need to check out my camera and make sure it is set up correctly. 🙂

5. Hilary
    July 28, 2009 at 1:53 am —

I really would love to see the tutorials, but they aren’t coming through, any suggestions? Thanks.

6. July 24, 2009 at 10:08 pm —

Thanks for sharing these tutorials!

7. July 24, 2009 at 8:55 am —

These were fabulous!! Thanks so much for sharing!

8. Lisa P. in FL
    July 24, 2009 at 1:08 am —

Thanks to both of you for providing this great information! John’s teaching style is spot on. What a resource!

9. July 23, 2009 at 8:57 pm —

This was so helpful!! I’m always underexposing and having to correct in post-processing…maybe this LCD change and always watching the histogram will help me out! Thanks for all these tips.

10. July 23, 2009 at 2:07 pm —

This was so helpful, my LCD wasn’t set at the brightest, but I lowered it, and I can see the difference already. Great tips 🙂

11. July 23, 2009 at 12:14 pm —

Thanks so much for this wonderful series. It’s been very helpful!

12. July 23, 2009 at 11:59 am —

Awesome series! Thanks!

13. Stephanie
    July 23, 2009 at 11:56 am —

Thanks Jodi! John did a great job explaining the histogram in simple terms. I can’t wait to go and try to use it!

14. Betsy
    July 23, 2009 at 11:22 am —

I am using Elements 7 (wish it were Photoshop) on Windows XP Professional. Does anyone know if the histogram box can be made bigger? It is really hard to read. Even though I do not use Photoshop this has still been very valuable.

15. linda
    July 23, 2009 at 11:08 am —

Thanks Jodi, going to adjust my LCD right now.

Linda

16. honey
    July 23, 2009 at 11:01 am —

Loved this series … thank you. One question … if you are shooting and you are in bright sunlight and you see it is overexposed on on the right side of the histogram … do you dial down? What if the histogram is spread across the screen with some highlights blown … do you leave it?

17. Diane Hazelwood Stewart
    July 23, 2009 at 10:54 am —

Really enjoyed this series by John. I learned quite a bit for a short 3 part series. Would love more. Thank you Jodi, as the others said, I am off to check my LCD brightness.

18. July 23, 2009 at 10:19 am —

Off to adjust the LCD brightness on my camera. I do have a question though… On my 5D Mark II the LCD screen is different than my previous camera the Canon 40D in that it’s brightness changes depending on setting. Is there a way to shut that function off? I need to check out my manual I suppose…

19. Gail
    July 23, 2009 at 9:55 am —

This series is wonderful! I’ve learned so much – thank you! I even found the histogram in my camera (I didn’t know it had one) and turned down the brightness of the LCD display.