This is an opinion gathering post. Please add your thoughts in the “comment section” of my blog.
I am not a blog stalker, but I often do end up perusing websites and blogs of well known photographers to the photographic community. People often ask me how they can get their work to look like “x” photographer. Often I end up wondering why they want their work looking like a specific person’s.
I do not plan to “name names” here but so many break rules of photography. I often see blown skies and even blowouts on clothing, sunspots on skin, oversaturated almost neon color, skin that has a blown red channel or lacks detail… The biggest offender is isolated color casts, skin tone way off, or white clothing and whites of eyes has a clear color cast.
So the question I am posing to you today is when looking at the art of well known portrait and wedding photographers who have sharp shots, great background blur, solid composition, or are just famous – but who have some exposure, color issues or problems with other fundamentals – do you:
- Let it go – they are artists and once they learn the rules – they can break them.
- Art is subjective, even the technical stuff is a gray area.
- Get frustrated – these are the same issues I have and yet I would get criticized for producing the exact same image if I posted it on my website or a photography forum.
- Wonder how they do not see these imperfections in their own work.
- Wonder if they do not know how to expose properly or know how to avoid or correct color issues. Or is this their artistic intent.
- Think to myself, my work is better than theirs. How come they are well known and I am not.
- Realize that there is more to photography than technical skills. Business skills, networking and personality often can propel a photographer further than their actual photographs.
- Think that technical skills are overrated – as a photographer I should be able to do what I want and so should they.
- Try not to look at their work – all that matters is what mine looks like.
- Other – the above where just some thoughts you may have. Please elaborate on these or any others you have.