facebook_pixel
Have a question? Reach us at: (866) 903-0998

6 Ways to Change Your Perspective for More Interesting Photographs: Part 2

6 Ways to Change Your Perspective for More Interesting Photographs: Part 2

Thank you to Kelly Moore Clark of Kelly Moore Photography for this amazing guest post on Changing Your Perspective. If you have questions for Kelly, please post them in the comment section on my blog (not Facebook) so she will see them and can answer them.

Perspective: Part 2

Here are 3 more tips to help you change your perspective and improve your photographs continued from Part 1 which can be found here.

4.  Don’t get stuck in one location:
I usually will drive to at least 3 different locations during a shoot, and within those locations, I move around constantly.   Remember to always pay attention to your surroundings.  Pay attention to everything….is there an object that you could shoot through to add foreground to your image?  I’m always looking for nooks and cranies to put my subjects in ☺  This is just another way to add variety to your sessions.

5.   Framing an image:
How do you put your subject in the frame?  We all have our own way that we frame our subjects, and this is what makes each of us unique.  I’m certainly not going to sit here and tell you exactly how to do this because it is so much a matter of opinion.  I will however tell you to frame your subjects with purpose.  Don’t focus, and then click your shutter without consciously deciding where your subject should go.  Check out the following images, and notice how I placed the subject within my frame.

bag

img_0263

img_2107

img_2118

img_33351

6. Last but not least…quit always doing the “tilty tilt” (sorry, had to say it)
Yes,  I had to say it!  Don’t worry, I used to do it too!  Cocking your image at an angle does not make it a cool interesting image.  Of course, there are times when tilting your camera for a shot adds a little extra action, just please make sure that this isn’t something you’re doing over and over.  If you look at a page of your image thumbnails and it looks like the leaning tower of Pisa, you might need to go into tilt rehab.

My "Actual" Favorite Subjects & How I Edit Vacation Pictures
Looking for examples for an Upcoming Action Set

1. […] 1 votes vote 6 Ways to Change Your Perspective for More Interesting Photographs: Part 2 Thank you to Kelly Moore Clark of Kelly Moore Photography for this amazing guest post on […]

2. September 8, 2009 at 9:31 am — Reply

Thanks for talking about the tilty tilt!!! One of my pet peeves (and I used to do it too of course). Thanks for the tips!

3. September 8, 2009 at 10:50 am — Reply

You definitely stepped on my toes about the tilt…I struggle to make myself get a straight angle shot!! Maybe my eyes are just off balance:) Fabulous examples and great inspiration!

4. September 8, 2009 at 10:59 am — Reply

The tilty tilt. Gah. Guilty as charged. My mom always asks if I was drunk when I took ’em. : )
    I think it’s part of the “learning curve” – it provides some interesting looks when you’re first starting to get out from under the standard “snapshot” look, and then you find it’s so abundant in your stuff you get sick of it and finally learn new ways of being creative. Having blogs like this certainly help speed along that process. So thanks!

5. September 8, 2009 at 11:21 am — Reply

Yeah, I figured it would probably step on a few toes 😉 Keep in mind, tilt is not always bad! You just don’t want that to be what defines you. I was a tilter too! I think most of us go through that.

6. September 8, 2009 at 12:25 pm — Reply

“Tilt with a purpose.” That’s what I’ve learned. It CAN be effective in small doses, just like funky processing, in my opinion! This is a great post – thanks for sharing!

7. September 8, 2009 at 1:04 pm — Reply

Ah, see, the tilty-tilt is not a weakness of mine, but man, it’s darn near impossible to retrain myself away from framing everything dead centre in the image!! (Thanks for these tips — your photography is wonderful.)

8. Gale
    September 8, 2009 at 1:09 pm — Reply

Oh, yeah… and the feet picture – don’t forget to put that on the “old and overdone” list. 🙂 The jumping in the air picture is hopping its way to that list, as well.

Loved this series – thank you so much. Your photos are absolutely magical, Kelly! And very unique.

9. September 8, 2009 at 2:01 pm — Reply

great tips. 🙂

I do think that each little thing has a purpose and phase. I think a lot of times, the tilt thing is a big first step in getting away from the centered snapshot. As many of us have said, we all go through it, so I think it MUST serve a purpose. 🙂 It is fun to see my photography grow. I was actually taking some shots the other day, and thought…man I haven’t done a tilt shot in ages…I better do one. LOL A little of this….and a little of that. It’s all good.

10. September 8, 2009 at 3:05 pm — Reply

I’m a tilty-tilter – working on it. Thanks for the post.

11. September 8, 2009 at 4:13 pm — Reply

Must agree on the last point… the tilt thing irritates me at times

12. Jacmo
    September 9, 2009 at 9:03 am — Reply

Agreed on Tilt for sure! I love these images you’ve chosen to share. Fantastic.

13. September 9, 2009 at 2:27 pm — Reply

LOL! Love the last point! Thanks for all the great tips, beautiful shots.