Video Tutorial: Saving Actions to New Computer or Version of Photoshop

Free Photoshop Actions and Lightroom Presets by MCP™

Video Tutorial: Saving Actions to New Computer or Version of Photoshop

I get this question at least once a week: “How can I move my actions to a new computer” or “…new version of Photoshop.”

It is actually a super easy process. Just follow along with me and I will have you up and running with your actions on your new computer or upgraded version of Photoshop in minutes.  Remember to always back up your actions too! Put them on an external hard drive and on a DVD or CD.  I get 3-5 people a week who write me and say their computer crashed – can I please resend.  If you back up your files you will not need to worry any longer.

If you have any questions, post them in the comment area. If you are on facebook or reading via email subscription, you need to come to the blog to view the video.

Free Photoshop Actions and Lightroom Presets by MCP™
fujifilm x-e2 replacement
Halloween Freebies + Win Holiday Templates Prize Pack
Drop It Modern Backdrops {Brianna Graham Style}

1. August 22, 2015 at 2:23 pm —

If there is no trouble, I just want to say: “I love you!”. Yes, my wife is sitting next to me :). I went to hell recreating Actions a few times and was pulling my hairs, until I found you!!!

2. October 29, 2014 at 9:57 am —

I have them installed in PSE, and just got the new PS. Can I transfer from Elements to Photoshop?
    Thanks

• October 29, 2014 at 9:59 am —

You can use the .atn file in PS CC and be limited to the PSE functions or you can contact us via our help desk and get an upgrade for 50% off.

3. October 19, 2013 at 1:46 pm —

Your tutorial was sooo helpful. However I have run into a problem I can’t solve. An old co-worker created a very detailed long action for us in an old version of Photoshop, using your tutorial I have saved it to new computers with newer Photoshop. When I go to play the action on the newer Photoshop, it stops at a certain point and starts saying my ‘link’, ‘layer’, and so on is ‘not available’. I hope you can help me figure this out! Thanks for your time! Michelle

4. Melanie
    November 24, 2012 at 11:20 pm —

I just used this tutorial to transfer my actions from my PC to my laptop. Thanks SOO much, your tutorials are always the best :).

5. Lacey
    June 3, 2011 at 8:33 pm —

I’m trying to save my mcp actions so I can move them to a new computer, but I’m using elements 8 and none of the options that are in the video are there!

• June 5, 2011 at 8:11 pm —

Just go to your original download and burn all those files to a CD and install the way you are taught on my site for PSE. You cannot do things the same was as this video for Photoshop.

If you need more help, let us know.

• June 5, 2011 at 8:11 pm —

Also – you can redownload them to your new computer.

6. October 28, 2009 at 2:31 pm —

I swear you read my mind! I just got a MAC and plan on doing this tonight! Thanks. 🙂

7. October 28, 2009 at 1:52 pm —

i will be needing to do this soon, thanks so much!!

8. October 27, 2009 at 4:10 pm —

Sorry for my request Jodi, I was one of those who asked again. For the record, I bought your actions and then not three days later, my computer crashed. Be warned, be warned.

9. Janete
    October 27, 2009 at 1:07 pm —

MAN!!!! where was this tutorial a few months ago when i got my new laptop!!! LOL grrr…thank you so much for this 🙂 🙂

10. Jack Sugrue
    October 27, 2009 at 11:25 am —

Alice, if you have created the action yourself within Photoshop, but have never saved it using the directions Jodi gave, then you won’t find it in any folder. Jodi’s instructions are for creating a backup copy of the action, either for moving it or just for the security of having a backup copy.

11. October 27, 2009 at 10:56 am —

You need to navigate to where you save them. I personally have a folder on my desktop that is labeled actions – I navigate there and save.

12. October 27, 2009 at 10:54 am —

jodi – i am trying to save my actions and have run into a problem. when i click on the 3 little lines and then click ‘save actions’ it takes me to another box that looks like the one on your screen, but it says ‘this folder is empty’. i use this actions all the time, so i know there is stuff there. what should i do next? any idea?