facebook_pixel
Have a question? Reach us at: (866) 903-0998

Photographing Fireworks: Breaking All The Rules

Photographing Fireworks: Breaking All The Rules

A few years ago I found myself at a baseball game with fireworks.  I did not plan to take photos of them. But I did.  Afterward I wrote an article for the Pioneer Woman about how we sometimes “break the rules” when it comes to photography.  Since this upcoming weekend is the 4th of July and Canada Day, there will be lots of firework displays in North America.  There are hundreds of articles on photographing fireworks the right way. But for today, we are going to cover what I did, break the rules.

photographing fireworks without tripod

Who decided the rules anyway? If you do a Google search online for “photographing fireworks” you will find a few common tips in every article.

• Use a tripod: You CAN NOT photograph fireworks without one! Period!
  • Shoot manual and at a slow shutter speed: Allow for long exposures of many seconds to 30 seconds, even try bulb settings
  • Use a quick release trigger for the camera if at all possible
  • Shoot at a low ISO 100-200

So rewind back to summer of 2009 – we were at a Detroit Tigers Game. We won a special package through a Silent Auction for a charity included going on the field for batting practice and watching the fireworks show from the visitors’ dugout.

My twins were in awe as this “relatively small” fireworks display started. They wanted me to take pictures of the fireworks. So here I was with no intention of shooting fireworks, completely unprepared to follow any of the basic rules, and aware that I have no tripod or tools to steady the camera. Even if I had planned on it, I do not think I would be allowed a tripod at a Major League Baseball game. So I had two choices. Forget it or break the rules. I chose to break them.

As you will see, these fireworks photos look completely different than if I followed the rules.

* I hand held the camera (no tripod or monopod or even good place to lean)
* Release the shutter with my own fingers
* I tried various speed settings ranging from 1/8 of a second (remember I am hand holding here) to 1/250 too. I experimented with a bunch of speeds in between.
* I was mostly at ISO 800.

The results of breaking the rules:

• The background was pitch black.
  • I did not capture long trails and fall off with the light that you normally get with fireworks pictures.
  • It made my twins happy.
  • The results were artistic and fun.

In conclusion, if you are able to prepare, do so. If you can follow the rules, do so. But if you are not able to or just did not prep yourself and do not have the right gear; do not hesitate to photograph those fireworks anyway. You may just surprise yourself and get some interesting shots despite your rebellion.

A Giveaway + Tips for Making the Most of Your Templates
Week 26 re-cap + theme for week 27 - MCP Project 52

1. Michele
    July 1, 2011 at 9:14 am — Reply

This is how I usually photograph the fireworks. I don’t like the pictures with all the smoke in them and so prefer the quicker speed. Yes, quite a few are not ‘good’ but the ones that I do get are quite fun! This was one of my favorites from last year. ISO 1600, 1/80, f5.6, handheld.

• Alissa
      July 2, 2011 at 11:40 am — Reply

I hate the smoke in the photos too and I think your shot is perfect.

• July 2, 2011 at 4:29 pm — Reply

WOW!!! I think this is beautiful! Thanks for sharing 🙂

2. July 1, 2011 at 9:17 am — Reply

I don’t have a good tripod, and I really like holding my camera…just get a better feel. I’m no where near professional level but when in Hawaii, you gotta take pictures of the fireworks!! I did and love the results….not all are great but those that are are pretty good!! Thanks for your article…it makes me feel better because I don’t even know all the rule!! lol

Attached a pic. Be kind, I’m not a professional just a hobbyist!

3. July 1, 2011 at 9:22 am — Reply

Here is one of mine-straight out of my …cell phone! I want a “real” camera, but I love that I can also capture cool stuff I would have missed without carrying one on my pocket 🙂

• Patty Mills
      June 29, 2012 at 8:38 pm — Reply

That’s a VERY cool shot! I’ve never seen one like that. Way to go!!!

4. July 1, 2011 at 9:31 am — Reply

Thank you so much for the tips — and ways to break them. This will be my first fireworks with a DSLR, so I am very excited.

5. July 1, 2011 at 9:40 am — Reply

I love to watch Fireworks and so try to spend as little time behind a viewfinder and thinking about rules as possible.. especially as we only get them once a year. Also, I generally need my hands free for candyfloss, burgers and warm tea! I hope you get to enjoy some excellent displays on your July Fourth celebrations.

Here is a picture that I took on Bonfire night 2010

• Patty Mills
      June 29, 2012 at 8:40 pm — Reply

Nice!

6. Barbara
    July 1, 2011 at 10:00 am — Reply

I love all of these photos! hopefully I will have a chance to try my hand at this this weekend.

Thanks for the tips!

Barbara

7. July 1, 2011 at 10:14 am — Reply

Here’s one I got at a baseball game. There’s just something about I love. 🙂

8. Ronda
    July 1, 2011 at 10:19 am — Reply

I love photographing fireworks. I have done so for the past three years. Each year, my shots get better (and my husband gets more patient). I also found that I could use ‘overlay’ in PSE to put more than one shot in the picture. Happy 4th to you all?

9. July 1, 2011 at 2:45 pm — Reply

Thanks so much for sharing. This is perfect!

10. July 1, 2011 at 4:40 pm — Reply

Another fun thing to try that is fun is to shoot with a wide open aperture. If you’re going for the ‘fun’ and ‘experimental’ thing.

11. Jessica
    July 1, 2011 at 7:51 pm — Reply

Here are a couple pictures I was lucky enough to get last weekend. This was my first attempt ever taking pictures of fireworks and these are the only ones that, I think, turned out pretty good. I took these in bulb mode.
    Looks like I can only upload one at a time, so I’ll post two more. 🙂

12. Jessica
    July 1, 2011 at 8:00 pm — Reply

Number two

13. Jessica
    July 1, 2011 at 8:03 pm — Reply

Last one 🙂

• tracy
      July 4, 2011 at 2:30 pm — Reply

These are wonderful!! What settings in bulb mode did you use?

• Jessica
        July 8, 2011 at 10:36 pm — Reply

Thank you!! 🙂
        I used f/16 to f/18 and ISO 200. No tripod, I positioned myself in my chair and balanced my camera on my leg.

• Leslie Vu
          July 1, 2012 at 12:54 am — Reply

what shutter speed did you use?

14. July 2, 2011 at 7:06 am — Reply

Happy 4th of July! Happy Canada Day too! Great advice! My thoughts…when I’m in a crowd I just set my small Lumix point and shoot on a tripod…change scene mode to fireworks and hit the shutter while watching the fireworks. Works great for me every year! Good luck!

15. July 2, 2011 at 7:07 am — Reply

Here’s another…straight out of camera!

16. July 2, 2011 at 7:08 am — Reply

Here’s one more! Simple and easy!

17. July 2, 2011 at 4:27 pm — Reply

This is so cool! Thank you for sharing. My family and I are going to a soccer game tonight and they will be having a fireworks show. I can’t wait to try this out 🙂

Oh, and I LOVE the results you got!!!

• July 4, 2011 at 9:58 pm — Reply

This is one of my favorites from the fireworks show at the soccer game we attended. I can’t wait for tonight’s show to get more. 🙂

• July 4, 2011 at 9:59 pm — Reply

And I like this one because it shows the crowd watching the show. The purple sky is pretty too! 🙂

18. July 2, 2011 at 10:32 pm — Reply

Bravo and Kudos to everyone that posted! The results are great! I will try my hand at capturing fireworks tomorrow night — I can’t wait!

19. July 4, 2011 at 10:49 am — Reply

You inspired me to go ahead and try it. I think I got some decent ones for not following any rules. I have seen ‘bulb mode’ show up on my camera but I don’t really understand it yet. I need to go do some research on that. I actually don’t mind the smoke in the shot. It’s what I see in real life and it reminds me of the whole experience.
    Here’s one of my favorites from last night.

20. July 4, 2011 at 12:49 pm — Reply

fireworks from last night as we watched on the dam of waurika lake, ok

21. susan
    July 4, 2011 at 12:56 pm — Reply

This was my first time with fireworks in 09, here my favorite.

Exposure 0.125 sec (1/8)
    Aperture f/4.5
    Focal Length 75 mm
    ISO Speed 400
    no tripod

22. Drew
    July 4, 2011 at 1:09 pm — Reply

I have a blast last night at my in-laws farm. Here is my fav of the night!!

23. Drew
    July 4, 2011 at 1:11 pm — Reply

I take it back . . .this one is my fav!

• Patty Mills
      June 29, 2012 at 8:45 pm — Reply

yeahhhhh – this one’s beautiful!

24. July 4, 2011 at 1:14 pm — Reply

or you can also fake it in photoshop, make a composite of your best shots by layering and using screen or linear dodge to blend them together! 😀

25. July 4, 2011 at 1:14 pm — Reply

F/5
    1/60ss
    ISO800
    Hand held
    50mm f1.4 lens

26. July 4, 2011 at 1:22 pm — Reply

My first real attempt at photographing fireworks. I had tried before with a point and shoot, handheld with less than so-so results. Got lucky on a few. Bought my first DSLR just 11 months ago (have already upgraded since) and have fallen in LOVE.

D7000 on tripod
    Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 VC (17mm, VC off)
    Shutter set to Bulb – 4.1 sec.
    ISO 100
    Aperture f16

• July 4, 2011 at 1:24 pm — Reply

Happy Independence Day Everyone! God Bless

27. July 4, 2011 at 1:24 pm — Reply

I took these last year in northern California. And much to my surprise, they came out great. I hand held my Nikon D80 w/55-200 zoom…I did the 800 iso and I can’t remember what the f stop was. I actually won 2 ribbons on this shot. Not bad for an amature.

28. July 4, 2011 at 1:24 pm — Reply

I had just read the “rules” yesterday then didn’t follow any of them last night.

This one is with my 70-200 2.8L ISO 500 f/2.8 1/50 hand held

29. Mark
    July 4, 2011 at 1:29 pm — Reply

Multiple exposures ranging from 1/250 to 12 secs. F/16. Breaking the rules is fun!

30. Rachel
    July 4, 2011 at 1:29 pm — Reply

I took fireworks for the first time this year. I love how they turned out but after reading your blog, I’m going to experiment some tonight. 🙂

31. July 4, 2011 at 1:49 pm — Reply

I took these at the Detroit/Windsor fireworks this past Monday. It was my first time shooting fireworks in a big city, and I was overjoyed. Mostly hand-held shots.

See the rest at https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.895014396972.2347791.16106811&l=cdae2a20a1

32. July 4, 2011 at 2:16 pm — Reply

I have a basic point-and-shoot, now over 3 years old.
    Apparently, I have always broken the rules.
    Here is a post from my 2010 Project365Blog:
    Glad you are letting others know how easy it is to take fireworks photos.

33. July 4, 2011 at 2:19 pm — Reply

took these last night in bulb mode

34. July 4, 2011 at 2:26 pm — Reply

thanks for the advice! It’s always fun to break “the rules” and get creative in our own ways!!

35. July 4, 2011 at 2:35 pm — Reply

I love the results you got from handholding the camera. I did that last year and got a few decent shots. This one was ISO200, Tamrom 18-270 set at 42mm, 1/5 sec @ f14.

36. Lisa McCully
    July 4, 2011 at 2:50 pm — Reply

When you’re taking pictures for family fun, sometimes it’s not practical to be so rigid about the rules, concentrating more on the fun. I handhold my camera, break all the rules and get little surprises in the pictures. Plus I use my iPhone too 🙂 Those pictures make us happy and that’s all that matters to me. Plus you can get very creative with the images too, collages especially. Happy 4th of July everyone!!!!

37. July 4, 2011 at 3:15 pm — Reply

First time I shot fireworks were at disneyworld in Florida at epcot. I found myself a nice location and I used my 70-200 at ISO between 320-800 and shot mostly between 2.8-5.6 and the photos came out very nice. Some of the lower shots had some smoke because there are so many fireworks going off. I was able to sit on a curb with my lens steadied on a raw iron fence. I also did some long exposure but photography is all about creating art and following the rules all the time sometimes doesn’t give you the most creative flow.

38. July 4, 2011 at 3:22 pm — Reply

[…] read a little about photographing fireworks before heading out yesterday and gave this “breaking the rules” tutorial from MCP Actions a try. I knew I wouldn’t have a tripod and didn’t […]

39. Michelle Sulkye Photography
    July 4, 2011 at 3:54 pm — Reply

My fave

• Patty Mills
      June 29, 2012 at 8:56 pm — Reply

beautiful!

40. Beth Carter
    July 4, 2011 at 6:46 pm — Reply

Total amateure here, hope that’s okay.
    Canon Rebel TSi
    no tripod 🙁
    f/1.8
    ISO 50

41. Jen
    July 5, 2011 at 12:56 pm — Reply

D700
    ISO 200
    f11
    4 sec

42. July 5, 2011 at 10:06 pm — Reply

Tried the “Bulb Mode” for the first time last night…didn’t even know I had one!

It was alot of fun trying something new!
    Robin

43. July 7, 2011 at 1:34 pm — Reply

I love these photos and wish I had a chance to capture shots on the 4th. Sadly it was POURING, not that it stopped us from firing off fireworks. Just from the camera being out there with us.

44. July 7, 2011 at 10:34 pm — Reply

I had fun breaking all of the rules! Thanks for the push! I even went so far as to move my camera around for a few which made for some fun “light painting” shots. Here’s one where I kept as still as I could.

45. Mars
    June 29, 2012 at 8:30 pm — Reply

I take fire works photos every chance I get.. I just stay really still and hold my breath.. lol

46. Jessica
    June 29, 2012 at 8:47 pm — Reply

Fantastic shots everyone!

I am a rule follower here, lol. I cannot hand hold very well! Even with my little point & shoot I used a tripod (only past couple years), and last year I had a remote to use with my camera, which was great! Just aim, set my settings up (i was low iso, other settings I can’t remember), and push the button, lol. Last year ended up with alot of smoke in the shots but it wasn’t windy at all. But here’s one of my faves