facebook_pixel
Have a question? Reach us at: (866) 903-0998

A Lot Has Changed In The Past 10 Years

A Lot Has Changed In The Past 10 Years

Happy Birthday to Ellie and Jenna!

Today you turn 10 years old. WOW. No more single digits.  10 years ago this morning, with my stomach protruding more than you can imagine, I drove myself to the hospital thinking you’d be in this world in a few weeks. A short time later I was informed that 12/19 was the day, and a c-section would happen right away.  Your dad left a meeting and rushed to the hospital. Other relatives followed.

After some tugging and pulling, I heard you, Ellie, screaming at the top of your lungs.  Though you were born at 35 1/2 weeks, there was no doubt your lungs were fully developed.  Moments later, more crying.  This time, it was you Jenna, with a completely different sounding cry.  Your first cries were the most beautiful sounds I had ever heard.

I was so happy that day, and 10 years later am so proud of both of you.  Each of you bring so much joy, laughter and smiles to me and everyone you encounter.  Ellie, you are kind, smart, creative, artistic, and helpful.  Jenna, you are so witty, funny, loving, clever, and giving.  You have “hearts of gold” – and I am so lucky to have you as my children.

For something fun for you, as well as my blog readers, I wanted to share some of the technology that was in our home when you were born, 10 years ago on December 19th, 2001.

• Our computer was connected to the Internet for dial-up.  We had a separate phone line just to get online.
  • Dad and I shared a computer at home.  Imagine that now.  We did have separate email through AOL.com.
  • We had a fax machine hooked up in our home office. Do you even know what that is?
  • We watched movies on a VCR.  We didn’t get a DVD player until soon after you were born.
  • HDTV was something we had seen in California on vacation a few years before, but we wouldn’t get it at home for a few more years.
  • We didn’t have Digital Cable, so no On Demand movies or DVR.
  • We listened to music on CDs.  There were no iPods yet.
  • You couldn’t get email on cell phones.  There were Blackberries, but they didn’t have phones in them yet.
  • Most cell phones did not have cameras.
  • There was no such thing as sending a text message.
  • We had no idea what “Social Media” could possibly mean.
  • There was no YouTube. If we tried to watch a video online, it would probably crash the computer.
  • Photoshop 7 was the latest way to edit pictures.
  • The word “blog” did not exist.
  • I photographed you with a film point and shoot for the first year of your life.
  • And no MCP Actions either.

I hope you enjoyed reading what it was like before you were born.

Ellie and Jenna, you inspire me, motivate me and are everything to me. Always remember how much I love you.

XOXO,

Your Mommy

To the readers of this blog, think back ten years.  What has changed in your world?  Join me in wishing Ellie and Jenna a happy birthday by sharing interesting things you have seen happen since the day they were born.

Shootsac and Tote & Shoot Winners are...
Amazing Work From Home Secrets for Photographers

1. December 19, 2011 at 9:09 am — Reply

Wow! How sweet! Happy Birthday to your double digit girls. 🙂
    My oldest will be 10 in a year and a half! And oh my I remember all of those things! LOL – Things are certainly different! What a fun blog post! Have a Merry Christmas & Happy New Year!

2. Ashley Weiland
    December 19, 2011 at 9:13 am — Reply

Happy Birthday to your sweet girls! I have twin daughters myself, they are 8. It is such a joy being a parent to twins and I thank God everyday that he gave me the honor of being a mother of multiples:) Enjoy your special day together!
    Ashley
    PS. It is crazy how much really has changed in ten years. Also ten years ago two of the biggest things for me in college were AOL instant messenger and SNOOD!

3. December 19, 2011 at 9:15 am — Reply

Jodi, this is soooo beautiful. We do not know each other, but reading this makes me cry. Ellie, Jenna: Happy Birthday!

4. Ashley Weiland
    December 19, 2011 at 9:19 am — Reply

I also thought about how ten years ago I still had a film camera and I would get so excited to drop my film off at 1 hour and then sit down in the middle of the store and go through all of the prints. I love digital, but I do miss the anticipation and excitement of getting prints developed!

5. Karen Cupcake
    December 19, 2011 at 9:40 am — Reply

I was a film shooter! and MY first baby was only 11 years old! SOB!!!! now he lives off at College and never calls! My other baby was only 6, and was missing her two front teeth, my FAVORITE big girl age!!! And yesterday I bought her a pack of film for her “new” old Polaroid camera we picked up at an Antique store! hahahah! full circle for all of us! Happy Birthday Girls!!

6. December 19, 2011 at 10:02 am — Reply

Happy Birthday to the Twins! It’s amazing what has changed in 10 years. Can you imagine what it will be like 10 years from now? We’ll be talking about everything that we think is so cool now, like we can’t believe we survived with just these meager tools! LOL

7. Janelle McBride
    December 19, 2011 at 10:06 am — Reply

Oh wow. Memories are great. Happy Birthday to your girls. Today Im celebrating a birthday with my youngest son, who is 9, also. I will now always remember that your girls and my son share a day. Have a great one.

8. Cathy
    December 19, 2011 at 10:11 am — Reply

Congrats on the double digit birthday for the girls. Time marches on and shows me how important images are of everyday life !

9. December 19, 2011 at 10:17 am — Reply

That was beautiful! Happy Birthday girls!

10. December 19, 2011 at 11:30 am — Reply

So sweet!
    I read this and think, what will the next 10 years bring? Life and technology are way too fast!
    Amy

11. December 19, 2011 at 11:59 am — Reply

Hi, Jenna and Ellie:

You were born at such a great time, and your mom is smart to explain that you’re fortunate in ways that go beyond having great parents, great personalities and great talents.

Two months before your delivery room cries, Apple Computers announced an invention called the iPod. When you were 2, Steve Jobs’ company followed up with the iTunes Music Store — Time magazine’s “Invention of the Year” for 2003.

And just in time for your viewing pleasure, YouTube hit the scene in ’05.

I could go one, but you’ve got more fun things to do. Just don’t take them for granted.

12. December 19, 2011 at 12:09 pm — Reply

Happy Birthday Girls! God Bless You!

13. December 19, 2011 at 2:46 pm — Reply

Happy Birthday girls. Time does fly, it is amazing. 10 years ago we had three kids age 5 yr, 2 yrs, and 5 months. I was exhausted. LOL No DVD players, we had one desktop in the home, and my husband had a laptop which was for his job as a software consultant. I didn’t own a cell phone yet, did get one shortly in the new year, but it was just a phone. No texting no photos.

14. December 19, 2011 at 3:33 pm — Reply

What a great idea, looking back on the technology we did and didn’t have!! And happy birthday to your girls!!

I didn’t even have a cell phone in 2001, I had a hand-me-down S-L-O-W desktop computer in college, still in VCR mode (actually, I JUST got rid of my old tv-vcr combo recently, can’t believe how well that thing worked!)

15. December 19, 2011 at 3:57 pm — Reply

Happy Birthday to your girls! I was pregnant with our third child at 38 years old ten years ago. He’s brought so much joy to our home. I can’t imagine life without him.

Here are the prices I wrote in his baby book in Feb. 2002:
    Milk – $2.99
    Gas – $1.12
    Postage stamp – 34 cents
    diapers $11.57
    movie ticket – $7
    loaf of bread – $1.99

I think that’s quite interesting now.

• December 19, 2011 at 5:22 pm — Reply

Smart to have jotted those prices as part of the benchmarks you anticipated would be worth looking back at.

Bread, movies and milk sure haven’t soared as much as some other commodities — notably gas (up more than $2/gallon from that level in the Detroit area now) and postage (up 29% and climbing another penny Jan. 22).

Cool bit of time travel, Southern Gal.

16. Malissa
    December 19, 2011 at 5:31 pm — Reply

Happy Birthday to your girls! It’s my son’s birthday, too! He’s officially 11- our millennial baby!

17. December 19, 2011 at 5:41 pm — Reply

What a fabulous post! I do believe your girls will love it!
    Have a wonderful day celebrating their birthday!

18. December 19, 2011 at 5:53 pm — Reply

Simply adorable! My daughter is just turned 3 on DEc 16th. Only 3 years and alot has changed, what will it be like at 10 like yours.

19. Sunni
    December 19, 2011 at 6:05 pm — Reply

Happy Birthday Ellie & Jenna!! What a double blessing these sweet babies are. Hope their birthday is a great one! I enjoyed looking through some of the changes in your post. It was one of those “Can you imagine?” moments. The Social Media thing was huge for me. Who would have thought?

20. Kimberly
    December 19, 2011 at 6:19 pm — Reply

Happy 10th Birthday Jenna and Ellie! May the next 10 years be just as precious!

21. December 19, 2011 at 6:55 pm — Reply

Happy Birthday girls, you share your birthday with my dear old Dad who turns 80! Imagine how much life and the world has changed since he was a baby. His dad served Australia in the first world war, they lived through the great depression and world war 2, definitely no computers, telephones or anything except a wireless then. the form of communicating was mail and telegram only. His first job was working for Qantas on the flying boats and continued for the next 30 years from propellor planes to large jets.
    Imagine what the girls life would be like in another 70 years and the technology available then, they too will laugh at the old days where we actually used to sit at computers to communicate!

22. December 19, 2011 at 7:02 pm — Reply

10 years ago I was 22 and unknowingly almost engaged. (my hubby proposed on Christmas Eve)
    In ten years, I got married, have 2 dogs, lived in 6 houses, had a son, and then a daughter, started my own Etsy shop. 10 years ago, I was dead set against digital cameras…and now I just upgraded to my 2nd DSLR….alot has changed for me…just imagine the changes that will come between 10 and 20…YIKES!!

Happy birthday Jenna and Ellie!!!
    Enjoy,
    Love Emily

23. Carrie Waldmann
    December 19, 2011 at 7:19 pm — Reply

Happy Birthday girls! I also have twins that will be 10 in June. I know the incredible journey!!!

24. Shayna
    December 19, 2011 at 7:20 pm — Reply

Happy birthday to your daughters 🙂

25. December 19, 2011 at 7:39 pm — Reply

Happy birthday to your twins! I also have fraternal twin girls, they will be 6 in March…my how time flies!

26. Stephanie Casner
    December 19, 2011 at 8:16 pm — Reply

Happy bday to your beautiful daughters, I do have twins myself, they will be 12 in Jan <3

27. Cristina Lee
    December 19, 2011 at 9:09 pm — Reply

What a beautiful letter. When they are older this letter will mean the world to them. Happy Birthday Jenna & Ellie!

28. Jen
    December 19, 2011 at 9:18 pm — Reply

Oh, so sweet!! Happy 10th Birthday ladies!! 🙂

29. December 19, 2011 at 9:19 pm — Reply

Happy birthday to your girls. This is such a sweet post. Children are such a blessing.

30. Kathleen Turner
    December 19, 2011 at 10:22 pm — Reply

Happy birthday baby girls! And, Jodi, you look like such the proud and happy mama in the picture. Thanks for sharing your little walk down memory lane!

31. December 19, 2011 at 10:44 pm — Reply

Happy birthday to the girls!

One thing that changed a lot in the last 10 yrs is how we search and apply for jobs or homes. Back then you checked the paper, called and made an appointment and then waited for a call back. Nowadays you search online (Craigs List), check the location online (google maps) and get notified via email for appts or other info.

Another thing that changed is rsvp’ing. It has now become socially acceptable to email or message thru FB your rsvp. Ten yrs ago there was no social media (twitter or FB) and while some people may have had email, it was not considered good etiquette to reply that way.

32. December 20, 2011 at 12:06 am — Reply

The sweetest post… You are so lucky {TWINS} = I love!.. For Now ONLY BO and Boca are the babies… 🙂

33. Angie
    December 20, 2011 at 7:21 am — Reply

What precious gifts from God! Happy birthday, girls!

34. December 20, 2011 at 8:30 am — Reply

Happy birthday girls!

35. Karen
    December 20, 2011 at 8:48 am — Reply

Happy birthday to the girls… and to you, Mom! You labored ten years ago and have been laboring in love ever since! God’s love and strength to you and your husband so you can continue the greatest work ever :>)

36. Brenda Reamy
    December 19, 2012 at 7:17 pm — Reply

Happy Birthday to your lovely young ladies! Enjoy every minute of every age because the following years will go even faster! My daughter will be THIRTY in March! I am too young to have a 30 year old child! lol 🙂