Pentax announced a new point-and-shoot camera called Efina, alongside a software update for its K-5 II and K-5 IIs DSLRs.
Pentax was very busy today as it has introduced a new compact camera called Efina, while announcing a software update for its DSLR cameras, the K-5 II and K-5 IIs.
New Pentax Efina
This camera’s specifications sheet includes a 14-megapixel 1/2.3″ CCD sensor, 35mm equivalent focal length lens of 26-130mm, 5x optical zoom, face detection, ISO range between 60 to 1,600, five white balance modes including Auto, Daylight, Tungsten, Fluorescent, and Open Shade, a 2.5-inch 230K-dot LCD, and a shutter speed ranging from 1/8 to 1/1,400.
The Pentax Efina sports motion blur reduction technology for both stills and movies, 1,280 x 720p HD-ready video capturing, 16 scene modes, built-in flash, burst mode, self timer, shutter delay, 32MB of built-in storage with SD/SDHC memory card expansion slot, and a rechargeable Li-ion battery.
Video output is also supported in NTSC / PAL formats, as well as USB 2.0, and several playback modes. Pentax’ latest digital compact camera measures 87.0 x 54.0 x 20.5 mm, while weighing up to 108 grams, with both the battery and SD card loaded.
The new Efina will become available in four colors, including Green, Pink, Red, and Silver, across Asia (except for China and Japan), sometime in the following weeks. Pentax did not mention any pricing details, but the digital camera is marketed as a stylish camera made of high-quality materials in an entry-class body.
Firmware update for K-5 II and K-5 IIs
Besides the Efina announcement, Pentax took its time to release a minor update for its DSLRs, which significantly improves the stability of the cameras. Being a minor update, the changelog is scarce, mentioning enhanced stability along with the addition of a Contrast adjustment setting on the LCD monitor.
The Pentax firmware update 1.01 for K-5II/K-5IIs is available for download now, on Windows and Mac OS computers:
- software version 1.01 for K-5II for Windows / Mac computers;
- software version 1.01 for K-5IIs for Windows / Mac PCs.
Installing the new firmware
- Extract the .zip file on Windows / Mac computers;
- Transfer the newly-obtained .bin file to the root folder on the SD card;
- Insert the battery and the SD card into the camera;
- Turn on the DSLR and press the Menu button at the same time;
- “Now Loading” will appear on the screen, then “Program Update”;
- Navigate to “Yes,” then select “OK” and the update will begin;
- When the update is completed, users can turn off the DSLR and remove the SD card;
- Turn on the Pentax camera and check the firmware version.