Adobe released big summer news for photographers – Photoshop CC 2014. Access your photos from anywhere and have advanced mobile editing tools — plus cool new features for Photoshop. This summer you may change the way you edit your photos.
The Photography Plan
The photography plan is open to everyone – no requirements about whether you owned Photoshop in the past. For $9.99 per month, anyone can have access to both Photoshop and Lightroom, plus their corresponding mobile apps. This really is an incredible deal.
Changes CC Subscribers Will Notice in Photoshop:
- Focus Mask – Have you ever wanted to apply an effect just to the background of your image? Or maybe you want to adjust just the subject? The new CC has a built in focus mask to select only what’s in focus in your image. It will create a mask that you can fine-tune if you need to. The selection in the image below took one quick adjustment to the In-Focus Range slider. 3 clicks and I had a layer mask!
- Font Filter – How many fonts do you have in your list? Tons, right? And it takes forever to scroll down to the one you want. The new font filter will supply the font you’re looking for as you type the letters in its name.
- Font Preview – Finally! No need to choose a font and apply it to see how it will look in your file. As you hover over each font, you’ll see a preview of your text in the new fonts.
Mobile Photo Editing
- Lightroom for iPad was released several months ago, and now Lightroom for iPhone is available. Configure it to automatically import all of your mobile photos to to your desktop. Edit your photos just like you would using the basic panel in Lightroom: White Balance, Exposure, Highlights, Shadows, Whites, Blacks, Clarity, Vibrance and Saturation. Rank photos by star and flags on your iPad or iPhone and those ratings plus your edits will sync automatically to your desktop.
- Photoshop Mix is an iPad app connected to Adobe Creative Cloud. Open photos that you’ve stored on the cloud, including PSDs. Import individual layers from PSDs. Edit photos from Lightroom mobile. Apply looks and styles, create advanced selections and masks, and apply those cool looks selectively. You can also access other advanced Photoshop features like Content-Aware Fill, Camera Shake Reduction and Upright. Export these edits as layered files to your desktop for further refinement.
If you’re already a CC subscriber, you have some exciting features to explore this summer. And if you’re not a CC now might be the time to consider subscribing now. $9.99 per month is a great price – it’s less than the cost of purchasing Lightroom once a year.