Photoshop Actions: How to Organize Your Actions

Photoshop Actions: Is your actions palette a mess?  Does going into your actions palette to play an action sometimes stress you out? If so, it may be time to unclutter your actions palette and better organize it so you can be more efficient in Photoshop.

This Photoshop video tutorial will teach you how to save and archive unused actions and then delete them from your actions palette. Plus you will learn to make sets of your favorite actions and even make folders with just color actions, black and white actions, sharpening actions, etc.

This will allow you to be faster and find what you want when you are working in photoshop.

TwitterFacebookPinterestGoogle Plus

Comments

says

Jodi, this is great. My last workflow was using your Crackle and either Mama Bear or Baby Bear, so there was constant scrolling up and down the Quickie collection. This was exactly what I needed. I love your video tutorials!!! THNX!

says

Thanks, Jodi! What a huge help! I was wondering how to de-clutter and combine my favorite actions into a set. This helps me out tons. Thanks again!

says

This was extremely helpful and I appreciate you showing us how to do this. This alone will cut a lot of time from my post production b/c I had too many things scattered all over that I use on a regular basis and I was wasting time searching for them. I knew there was a better way but I didn’t know how to do it. Thank you!

Jill Franklin says

You’re so going to laugh at me, but I cleared out my actions and readded the one’s I wanted to use back in each time. Wwhhhew! What a time muncher that was! Thank you so very much for yet another eye opening ah-ha moment!!! *Muwah!*

says

I would be interested to hear your opinion (pro’s and con’s) in the different ways Actions can be listed. Either the folder/tree structure you use, or having them displayed as coloured buttons. I use the same folder/tree display method, but know others that use the button mode and swear by it.

Thanks!

says

Adam – It is a personal preference – button mode versus the normal mode. I think you can guess which I like and prefer. I never really became a fan of the buttons – I like things organized and easily laid out.

Debbie Perrin says

Jodi,
    Your photoshop skills never cease to amaze me! My PS learning is at an all time high because you share so much! THANK YOU!

says

This is terrific — thanks! If you don’t mind, can I ask a sort-of off topic question? I’ve heard that adding too many actions will slow down or even compromise PS. Do you think that’s true? I’ve been afraid to collect too many, just in case.

says

Oh my goodness…this was so helpful. Thank you so much! I had saved this in my rss feed to come back and watch and finally did. I am so glad. Thanks again. -Amy

Tracey Tilson says

Erin from Texas Chicks Blogs and Pics sent me this way. Thank you so much for the tutorial! This will calm the chaos in my PSCS5! ~Tracey

says

Man I wish this were for Elements! I have 10 and would love to do this! But I also get overwhelmed with the number of actions and forget what they do, any tips for that?

Tracey says

How do I just rearrange the existing folders? When I move them with the alt key pressed, it will place them… but as a “copy” folder. Is there a way to move folders without creating a copy? Thanks Jodi! Happy Holidays!

Trackbacks