Photoshop Actions: How to Organize Your Actions

Photoshop Actions: How to Organize Your Actions

Photoshop Actions: Is your actions palette a mess?  Does going into your actions palette to play an action sometimes stress you out? If so, it may be time to unclutter your actions palette and better organize it so you can be more efficient in Photoshop.

This Photoshop video tutorial will teach you how to save and archive unused actions and then delete them from your actions palette. Plus you will learn to make sets of your favorite actions and even make folders with just color actions, black and white actions, sharpening actions, etc.

This will allow you to be faster and find what you want when you are working in photoshop.

MCP is a Featured Photographer for Tamron’s Fall Ad Campaign
Blueprint Fan Share - Outdoor Senior Photograph

1. […] 1 votes vote Learn how to unclutter and organize your actions in Photoshop Does going into your actions palette to play an action sometimes stress you out? If so, it may […]

2. September 10, 2009 at 9:31 am — Reply

I’ve wondered how you stack actions into a new action. You mentioned you have done this with your new workflow process. I’m assuming it matters how the original action was set up since most want the original image to be a flat image.

3. September 10, 2009 at 9:49 am — Reply

Jodi, this is great. My last workflow was using your Crackle and either Mama Bear or Baby Bear, so there was constant scrolling up and down the Quickie collection. This was exactly what I needed. I love your video tutorials!!! THNX!

4. September 10, 2009 at 10:01 am — Reply

Thanks, Jodi! What a huge help! I was wondering how to de-clutter and combine my favorite actions into a set. This helps me out tons. Thanks again!

5. September 10, 2009 at 10:23 am — Reply

Thank you so much, Jodi!! Your directions are always so clear to understand. I just created my own Favorites folder 🙂

6. September 10, 2009 at 10:43 am — Reply

I see some new actions in that palette of yours!! i’m excited!! great tut

7. September 10, 2009 at 11:07 am — Reply

This was extremely helpful and I appreciate you showing us how to do this. This alone will cut a lot of time from my post production b/c I had too many things scattered all over that I use on a regular basis and I was wasting time searching for them. I knew there was a better way but I didn’t know how to do it. Thank you!

8. Debbie G
    September 10, 2009 at 12:07 pm — Reply

Thank you Jodi, that was an excellent video that I am sure a lot of people will learn from!! Your a great teacher…

9. September 10, 2009 at 12:10 pm — Reply

Thanks A BUNCH Jodi!! This totally helped me I feel like I just cleaned out a closet. LOL!

10. September 10, 2009 at 12:26 pm — Reply

I knew there was a way to copy. The ALT key! You are such a guru!

11. Jill Franklin
    September 10, 2009 at 12:43 pm — Reply

You’re so going to laugh at me, but I cleared out my actions and readded the one’s I wanted to use back in each time. Wwhhhew! What a time muncher that was! Thank you so very much for yet another eye opening ah-ha moment!!! *Muwah!*

12. September 10, 2009 at 1:05 pm — Reply

I would be interested to hear your opinion (pro’s and con’s) in the different ways Actions can be listed. Either the folder/tree structure you use, or having them displayed as coloured buttons. I use the same folder/tree display method, but know others that use the button mode and swear by it.

Thanks!

13. September 10, 2009 at 1:23 pm — Reply

Thanks so much! I was wondering how to do this.

14. September 10, 2009 at 1:41 pm — Reply

Thanks, I really need to do this. What a simple way to organize by color, favorites, and b/s. I think that is where I will start.

15. September 10, 2009 at 2:34 pm — Reply

Thanks!!! VERY helpful!

16. September 10, 2009 at 2:36 pm — Reply

One of the most helpful posts ever Jodi, thanks so much. It will sure make my life easier!

17. September 10, 2009 at 3:52 pm — Reply

Adam – It is a personal preference – button mode versus the normal mode. I think you can guess which I like and prefer. I never really became a fan of the buttons – I like things organized and easily laid out.

18. September 10, 2009 at 4:38 pm — Reply

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!! I have been wondering if there’s a way to do this!! I am so excited to go and get organized now!

Kelly

19. Debbie Perrin
    September 10, 2009 at 6:54 pm — Reply

Jodi,
    Your photoshop skills never cease to amaze me! My PS learning is at an all time high because you share so much! THANK YOU!

20. September 10, 2009 at 7:20 pm — Reply

Is this only for CS4? Because this doesn’t look anything like what I have (CS3).
    Thanks!
    Jenny

• September 10, 2009 at 8:27 pm — Reply

Jenny – it was recorded in CS4 – but actions can be organizes in any version of full PS.

21. September 11, 2009 at 1:05 am — Reply

Thanks Jodi, that was great!!

22. September 11, 2009 at 2:14 am — Reply

Thanks for sharing the video.

23. September 11, 2009 at 1:34 pm — Reply

This is terrific — thanks! If you don’t mind, can I ask a sort-of off topic question? I’ve heard that adding too many actions will slow down or even compromise PS. Do you think that’s true? I’ve been afraid to collect too many, just in case.

24. September 11, 2009 at 4:19 pm — Reply

Were you reading my mind???? I really needed this…I’ve moved the full folder of actions around but didn’t have any idea how to make my own sets. Hopefully I will have this done before our session on Tuesday!! LOL!!! :o)

25. September 19, 2009 at 3:06 pm — Reply

THANK YOU Jodi!!! I’ve been wanting to organize and clean up my actions for a while now. You rock!

26. September 19, 2009 at 9:48 pm — Reply

This is just what I needed!!! Thanks so much!

27. October 7, 2009 at 8:16 pm — Reply

Oh my goodness…this was so helpful. Thank you so much! I had saved this in my rss feed to come back and watch and finally did. I am so glad. Thanks again. -Amy

28. Tracey Tilson
    March 5, 2012 at 10:30 am — Reply

Erin from Texas Chicks Blogs and Pics sent me this way. Thank you so much for the tutorial! This will calm the chaos in my PSCS5! ~Tracey

29. claire
    March 23, 2012 at 11:59 am — Reply

Super helpful. Thanks so much!

30. September 5, 2012 at 11:37 pm — Reply

Man I wish this were for Elements! I have 10 and would love to do this! But I also get overwhelmed with the number of actions and forget what they do, any tips for that?

31. Tracey
    December 11, 2012 at 10:40 am — Reply

How do I just rearrange the existing folders? When I move them with the alt key pressed, it will place them… but as a “copy” folder. Is there a way to move folders without creating a copy? Thanks Jodi! Happy Holidays!

32. February 4, 2013 at 1:02 pm — Reply

Hi Jodi
    Thanks for this tutorial, I found this very useful.

33. November 30, 2013 at 8:53 pm — Reply

Oh my goodness, I have been wishing for this! THANK YOU!!!!

34. March 6, 2014 at 5:48 am — Reply

Thank you so much! I was getting lost in all my actions!

35. January 3, 2015 at 5:54 pm — Reply

Brilliant! Thank you for doing this it really helps.

36. Claudia
    December 5, 2015 at 1:18 pm — Reply

Hello!
    Thank you for this post. Do you know how to organize actions in Elements 14? I just recently updated from PSE 10 and was able to install all my actions but I just can’t organize them the way I want and it’s driving me crazy! Can you please help me?

37. Kathryn Geddie
    January 11, 2016 at 2:02 am — Reply

Like Claudia I would love to know if there is away to do this in PSE 14. I just moved from 10, and I hate that I can’t group my favorite actions! 🙁