Have a question? Reach us at: (866) 903-0998

Photoshop Actions: How to Organize Your Actions

Free Photoshop Actions and Lightroom Presets by MCP™

Photoshop Actions: How to Organize Your Actions

Photoshop Actions: Is your actions palette a mess?  Does going into your actions palette to play an action sometimes stress you out? If so, it may be time to unclutter your actions palette and better organize it so you can be more efficient in Photoshop.

This Photoshop video tutorial will teach you how to save and archive unused actions and then delete them from your actions palette. Plus you will learn to make sets of your favorite actions and even make folders with just color actions, black and white actions, sharpening actions, etc.

This will allow you to be faster and find what you want when you are working in photoshop.

Free Photoshop Actions and Lightroom Presets by MCP™
MCP is a Featured Photographer for Tamron’s Fall Ad Campaign
Blueprint Fan Share - Outdoor Senior Photograph

1. September 11, 2009 at 1:05 am —

Thanks Jodi, that was great!!

2. September 10, 2009 at 7:20 pm —

Is this only for CS4? Because this doesn’t look anything like what I have (CS3).
    Thanks!
    Jenny

• September 10, 2009 at 8:27 pm —

Jenny – it was recorded in CS4 – but actions can be organizes in any version of full PS.

3. Debbie Perrin
    September 10, 2009 at 6:54 pm —

Jodi,
    Your photoshop skills never cease to amaze me! My PS learning is at an all time high because you share so much! THANK YOU!

4. September 10, 2009 at 4:38 pm —

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!! I have been wondering if there’s a way to do this!! I am so excited to go and get organized now!

Kelly

5. September 10, 2009 at 3:52 pm —

Adam – It is a personal preference – button mode versus the normal mode. I think you can guess which I like and prefer. I never really became a fan of the buttons – I like things organized and easily laid out.

6. September 10, 2009 at 2:36 pm —

One of the most helpful posts ever Jodi, thanks so much. It will sure make my life easier!

7. September 10, 2009 at 2:34 pm —

Thanks!!! VERY helpful!

8. September 10, 2009 at 1:41 pm —

Thanks, I really need to do this. What a simple way to organize by color, favorites, and b/s. I think that is where I will start.

9. September 10, 2009 at 1:23 pm —

Thanks so much! I was wondering how to do this.

10. September 10, 2009 at 1:05 pm —

I would be interested to hear your opinion (pro’s and con’s) in the different ways Actions can be listed. Either the folder/tree structure you use, or having them displayed as coloured buttons. I use the same folder/tree display method, but know others that use the button mode and swear by it.

Thanks!

11. Jill Franklin
    September 10, 2009 at 12:43 pm —

You’re so going to laugh at me, but I cleared out my actions and readded the one’s I wanted to use back in each time. Wwhhhew! What a time muncher that was! Thank you so very much for yet another eye opening ah-ha moment!!! *Muwah!*

12. September 10, 2009 at 12:26 pm —

I knew there was a way to copy. The ALT key! You are such a guru!

13. September 10, 2009 at 12:10 pm —

Thanks A BUNCH Jodi!! This totally helped me I feel like I just cleaned out a closet. LOL!

14. Debbie G
    September 10, 2009 at 12:07 pm —

Thank you Jodi, that was an excellent video that I am sure a lot of people will learn from!! Your a great teacher…

15. September 10, 2009 at 11:07 am —

This was extremely helpful and I appreciate you showing us how to do this. This alone will cut a lot of time from my post production b/c I had too many things scattered all over that I use on a regular basis and I was wasting time searching for them. I knew there was a better way but I didn’t know how to do it. Thank you!

16. September 10, 2009 at 10:43 am —

I see some new actions in that palette of yours!! i’m excited!! great tut

17. September 10, 2009 at 10:23 am —

Thank you so much, Jodi!! Your directions are always so clear to understand. I just created my own Favorites folder 🙂

18. September 10, 2009 at 10:01 am —

Thanks, Jodi! What a huge help! I was wondering how to de-clutter and combine my favorite actions into a set. This helps me out tons. Thanks again!

19. September 10, 2009 at 9:49 am —

Jodi, this is great. My last workflow was using your Crackle and either Mama Bear or Baby Bear, so there was constant scrolling up and down the Quickie collection. This was exactly what I needed. I love your video tutorials!!! THNX!

20. September 10, 2009 at 9:31 am —

I’ve wondered how you stack actions into a new action. You mentioned you have done this with your new workflow process. I’m assuming it matters how the original action was set up since most want the original image to be a flat image.