Have a question? Reach us at: (866) 903-0998

Photoshop Actions: How to Organize Your Actions

Free Photoshop Actions and Lightroom Presets by MCP™

Photoshop Actions: How to Organize Your Actions

Photoshop Actions: Is your actions palette a mess?  Does going into your actions palette to play an action sometimes stress you out? If so, it may be time to unclutter your actions palette and better organize it so you can be more efficient in Photoshop.

This Photoshop video tutorial will teach you how to save and archive unused actions and then delete them from your actions palette. Plus you will learn to make sets of your favorite actions and even make folders with just color actions, black and white actions, sharpening actions, etc.

This will allow you to be faster and find what you want when you are working in photoshop.

Free Photoshop Actions and Lightroom Presets by MCP™
MCP is a Featured Photographer for Tamron’s Fall Ad Campaign
Blueprint Fan Share - Outdoor Senior Photograph

1. September 11, 2009 at 2:14 am —

Thanks for sharing the video.

2. September 11, 2009 at 1:34 pm —

This is terrific — thanks! If you don’t mind, can I ask a sort-of off topic question? I’ve heard that adding too many actions will slow down or even compromise PS. Do you think that’s true? I’ve been afraid to collect too many, just in case.

3. September 11, 2009 at 4:19 pm —

Were you reading my mind???? I really needed this…I’ve moved the full folder of actions around but didn’t have any idea how to make my own sets. Hopefully I will have this done before our session on Tuesday!! LOL!!! :o)

4. September 19, 2009 at 3:06 pm —

THANK YOU Jodi!!! I’ve been wanting to organize and clean up my actions for a while now. You rock!

5. September 19, 2009 at 9:48 pm —

This is just what I needed!!! Thanks so much!

6. October 7, 2009 at 8:16 pm —

Oh my goodness…this was so helpful. Thank you so much! I had saved this in my rss feed to come back and watch and finally did. I am so glad. Thanks again. -Amy

7. Tracey Tilson
    March 5, 2012 at 10:30 am —

Erin from Texas Chicks Blogs and Pics sent me this way. Thank you so much for the tutorial! This will calm the chaos in my PSCS5! ~Tracey

8. claire
    March 23, 2012 at 11:59 am —

Super helpful. Thanks so much!

9. September 5, 2012 at 11:37 pm —

Man I wish this were for Elements! I have 10 and would love to do this! But I also get overwhelmed with the number of actions and forget what they do, any tips for that?

10. Tracey
    December 11, 2012 at 10:40 am —

How do I just rearrange the existing folders? When I move them with the alt key pressed, it will place them… but as a “copy” folder. Is there a way to move folders without creating a copy? Thanks Jodi! Happy Holidays!

11. February 4, 2013 at 1:02 pm —

Hi Jodi
    Thanks for this tutorial, I found this very useful.

12. November 30, 2013 at 8:53 pm —

Oh my goodness, I have been wishing for this! THANK YOU!!!!

13. Thank you so much! I was getting lost in all my actions!

14. January 3, 2015 at 5:54 pm —

Brilliant! Thank you for doing this it really helps.

15. Claudia
    December 5, 2015 at 1:18 pm —

Hello!
    Thank you for this post. Do you know how to organize actions in Elements 14? I just recently updated from PSE 10 and was able to install all my actions but I just can’t organize them the way I want and it’s driving me crazy! Can you please help me?

16. Kathryn Geddie
    January 11, 2016 at 2:02 am —

Like Claudia I would love to know if there is away to do this in PSE 14. I just moved from 10, and I hate that I can’t group my favorite actions! 🙁