Win $50 Gift Certificates to MCP by Sharing Your New Year’s Resolutions

Free Photoshop Actions and Lightroom Presets by MCP™

Win $50 Gift Certificates to MCP by Sharing Your New Year’s Resolutions

When I awoke today, in a bed at my parents’ house in Atlanta, where we are visiting, I started thinking… What will my resolutions be this year. I have some personal and professional goals for this upcoming year.  Call them goals, call them resolutions, call them things to accomplish.

For personal resolutions, I resolve to get back to the gym 4-5 days a week (along with hundreds of millions of others). I just went to a new endocrinologist and plan to work with her to sort out my thyroid and monitor other potential health issues.

As far as family resolutions, I plan to put down the computer more when my kids or husband are around. I am so passionate about my work developing Photoshop actions, blogging and teaching photographers through my MCP Actions business. It is wonderful to love what you do but not at the expense of family.  I use the phrases “in a minute” or “when I am done with this email” far too often.  In this upcoming year, I am going to try very hard to finish my work between 9-4pm, other than the occasional nighttime Photoshop Workshop.

As for professional resolutions, I just launched my new website.  This was a 2009 resolution. The new blog design did not quite make it, so that will move into a 2010 goal (sooner than later). I will continue blogging 5+ days a week, with informative content, fun contests, and more.

I resolve to spend less time on email in 2010.  Email is part of my business, but I need to realize that I cannot answer every photography or Photoshop question.  I now have a FAQs in place on my website, as well as many resources listed throughout. I will add to these as needed, as well as address other FAQs in monthly blog posts.

My new website will help me focus on development instead of fulfillment. This should allow me to create and launch a few new Photoshop action sets for 2010. I may have some products for Elements users too, as I have hired someone to work with me in this arena.

If I cannot accomplish everything, I resolve to either “let it go” or re-work how I do things.  I may look at outsourcing or hiring contractors if needed.

THE NEW YEAR’S RESOLUTION CONTEST

Enough on my resolutions.  What are yours?  Share at least one personal and one professional goal/resolution you have for 2010. To qualify, you must enter these in the comment section of this post on the MCP Blog (NOT on Facebook or Twitter as those comments cannot be integrated).

This contest is a quick one – you have until Midnight eastern time on New Year’s Eve (so just over 14 hours to get your posts in).

Winners will be picked on New Year’s Day.

Please tweet, blog about and/or post to Facebook to let others know of this fun contest.  The more that participate the more prizes available.

Prizes: For every 100 comments – one $50 gift certificate for the MCP Actions Store (good for Photoshop actions and purchases over $50) will be given away.

Free Photoshop Actions and Lightroom Presets by MCP™
Quick Tip: Photoshop Shortcuts
3 Winners of the New Year's Resolution Contest

1. December 31, 2009 at 9:51 am —

Hmm well I posted, but I guess it “poofed”.
    I have some family issues to resolve with a few people close to me this year. I tend to shy away from confrontation and this only makes things worse. So No more!

I also have to laugh because my husband has banned the phrase “Inna minute” I’ve used it so much lol. So I Really try to not go down that road =)

2. December 31, 2009 at 9:49 am —

My personal goal for 2010: Eat healthier and move more, I know a 5k marathon is NOT in my future, but just being more active and not such a computer couch potatoe is very doable!I have alot of weight to lose, but I will break it down into 10 pound increments.

My business goal: To learn ALL I can and learn and practice more with my studio lights and not be afraid of lighting challenges indoors and out. To be able to create beautiful images no matter what the situation!

My Family Goal: To actually go on vacation with my husband and 2 kids. We have not been on a vacation since my 10 year old was 9 months old, so my 6 year old has never been on a vacation!! We are going to take a week and actually LEAVE the state!

3. December 31, 2009 at 9:48 am —

Wow I actually was thinking about making some Serious resolutions for this new decade as I worked through the night. I have some personal family issue’s that need some working through and without going into detail..need to be sorted out Soon. I tend to shy away from confrontation, but that has gotten me into more than One problem in my life. So no more! I resolve to heal some wounds and move forward without looking back.

And I have to laugh Jodi, because my husband goes Nuts when he calls me and I say “In a minute..” He has banned the phrase from my lips =)

4. December 31, 2009 at 9:47 am —

My personal goal is to figure out a way to get myself out of debt. My professional goal is to keep up with my Project 365 and to get my boudior business up and running this year.

5. Mindy
    December 31, 2009 at 9:46 am —

My new year’s resolution is to smile each time one of my sweet children look at me. I am going to “live” the thankfulness I feel, of my families health, and just being together by being happy and giving that happiness to them when they look to their mother.

6. December 31, 2009 at 9:44 am —

I have three: 1. to remove ALL cuss words from my vocabulary (it’s so trashy), 2. to stop hounding my husband about not appreciating TODAY, I’m going to appreciate TODAY and maybe my ‘law of attraction’ actions will rub off on him, and last but not least, 3. I will get in shape, not wasting my entire 30’s being 25 lbs over-weight! They say if you write ’em down, you’re likely to accomplish ’em! There…they’re written down!!! 😉

7. December 31, 2009 at 9:42 am —

For personal resolutions, definitely NOT staying up so late. I have insomnia but I need to get it under control. lol Another resolution is to try out Zumba, which I’ve been DYING to try out for a while but always make excuses (don’t have the time/money). We all need to do something for ourselves. Even better if it helps you work out. 😉 One last resolution/goal is to have another child…or at least conceive in 2010 😉

Business-wise, I need to find a better balance between the photography biz and personal life. I spend way too much time during my wedding season online and doing things for the biz. It is a good thing because it helps me be successful, but I’d like to find more of an equal balance between the two. I think we all struggle with this, esp those with families.

8. Laurie Flickinger
    December 31, 2009 at 9:42 am —

1. Become more organized. (original, huh)
    2. Keep up with my 365 blog, but not stress too much about it if I don’t.

Happy New Year!

**Hope this isn’t duplicate, got some sort of posting too fast, slow down message???

9. December 31, 2009 at 9:41 am —

I have so many professional goals in 2010, but I would say one of the most important would be to get a NYC photographers monthly meet-up off the ground. Photographers around here are too competitive, so my hope is to get some photographers together once a month and make everyone see that we don’t have to compete so much; we’re all in this together.

My main personal goal is to just get my wedding off without a hitch and marry the most wonderful man in the world in nine months. Oh, and fit into my wedding dress. 🙂

10. Lori Lee S.
    December 31, 2009 at 9:40 am —

My goal this year is to find the courage to go out there and make my business a full-time strong photography business. Wish me luck!!!! This is an awesome contest Jodi.

11. December 31, 2009 at 9:39 am —

My resolution is similar to yours- I resolve to take control of my business and not let it control me. I can’t continue to work for hours with little exercise. It’s just not healthy and I have to make time for myself to at least take a walk every day! Happy New Year!!

12. December 31, 2009 at 9:39 am —

My NY resolutions are to try to take a picture a day of my girls, they grow up so fast, I really want to document this year and get my camera out more. To drink less Dr. Peppers, those are so addicting! To be a better wife / mother / daughter / sister and to live everyday to the fullest!

13. Julie Sandlin
    December 31, 2009 at 9:37 am —

To go to bed before midnight, to stop procrastinating as much and to hopefully quit smoking.

14. December 31, 2009 at 9:37 am —

My resolution is to never neglect telling my loved ones how much they mean to me! It seems this sometimes slides through the cracks when the days are chaotic and hectic!

15. Tracey Skadberg
    December 31, 2009 at 9:36 am —

I want to touch my feet to the treadmill at least once weekly. I want to buy a new lens (maybe 2) and be inspired again!

16. December 31, 2009 at 9:36 am —

my new years resolution are
    * to only eat chocolate after I exercise 🙂
    * establish my business, grow and learn as much as I can over the next 12 months
    * cut down/out late nights

17. December 31, 2009 at 9:35 am —

Resolutions, oh how I loathe thee! But here we go…. Personal Resolution: To buy only what I love or need and spend less time buying and then returning things! Professional Resolution: To accept my current job situation and stop trying to engineer something “better.”

18. December 31, 2009 at 9:34 am —

Get to bed at a decent time, stop staying up late to get “one more thing (dish/edit/laundry/clean/kids paperwork/etc) done.” I work better in the morning anyways when I am fresh and rested!

19. December 31, 2009 at 9:34 am —

Ellie (age 8) wanted to share her resolutions:

– Getting to gymnastics on time
    – Getting better at softball
    – Learning to play the drums

20. December 31, 2009 at 9:31 am —

My new years resolution, lame as it may sound is to not have any resolution at all. I am tired of setting myself up for failure! All I want for the new year is to stay positive and live it to its fullest with my three boys and husband. Happy New Year Jodi!