Have a question? Reach us at: (866) 903-0998

In Memory of a Great Man – Papa D

Free Photoshop Actions and Lightroom Presets by MCP™

In Memory of a Great Man – Papa D

This post is in memory of my Papa D.  He was my husband’s grandfather (and made me feel like he was mine too).  Papa D had a severe stroke Monday and passed away last night at 93 years of age.

He will be missed.  His smile.  His warm hugs.  His laughter and zest for life.

We will miss him so much.  I hope we can carry on many of his traditions and rituals.  He always gave my twins (his great granddaughters)  dum dum lollipops whenever we would see him.  He loved dessert and was known to finish off the remains of the gallon tubs of ice cream at family gatherings.  He never would let you say goodbye without a big hug and kiss and a squeeze of the hands.  He was filled with so much knowledge, love and passion.

I am so thankful that my girls are old enough that they will always remember him and how special he was in their lives.  Family is so valuable.  Traditions are so important.  Remember to make memories every day.

Remember as a photographer to document life around you.

Here is my Grandpa, known to all as “Papa D.”  May his life guide all of us…

cousins_visit-371

Free Photoshop Actions and Lightroom Presets by MCP™
My American Girls * Sharing a Fun Experience
Getting Ready for The Wedding Day * My Little Sister Gets Married

1. January 10, 2009 at 10:38 am —

Jodi, I’m so sorry to hear about your loss. It is wonderful that your girls got to know him and love him. I know he will be missed.

2. Laraine Davis
    January 10, 2009 at 10:07 am —

What a wonderful tribute to your grandfather. I love the photo and the story of how he touched your lives. Blessings to your family.

3. Pam Davis
    January 10, 2009 at 2:43 pm —

Sorry for the loss of a beloved member of your family. What a wonder image you captured what appears to be a man that lived and enjoyed life and his family. Pam

4. January 10, 2009 at 8:34 am —

Oh Jodi….I’m so sorry to hear about your loss. What a beautiful picture you took of him too, it will be one you can hold onto forever, just like you said!

5. January 9, 2009 at 11:11 pm —

Sorry for your family’s loss Jodi. This post is a beautiful tribute to him!

6. January 9, 2009 at 10:22 pm —

I am so sorry to hear that he is gone. But I am glad that your family got to enjoy him and he lived to be 93. My prayers are for your family.

7. Laurie
    January 9, 2009 at 9:56 pm —

Jodi, I’m so sorry to hear of your loss. I wish I had more pictures of my grandfather. Sadly my boys never got to meet him. I’m sure your girls will smile fondly and always think of him everytime they see a dum dum lollipop. My thoughts are with you and your family.

8. JoAnne Bacon
    January 9, 2009 at 5:28 pm —

So sorry for your loss Jodi.

9. Lori S.
    January 9, 2009 at 5:06 pm —

I am so sorry for your loss Jodi. Your family will be in my prayers.

10. Jack Sugrue
    January 9, 2009 at 3:50 pm —

Jodi – Sorry for your loss. I have said a prayer for him and for your family. What a great picture – between it and your tribute, you have captured his spirit perfectly.

11. January 9, 2009 at 3:25 pm —

So sorry for your loss. It IS a blessing your girls will have wonderful memories of him. Both of my grandfathers passed before I was born and I always wish I had my own memories of a grandfather.

Blessings to you all in this sad time.

12. January 9, 2009 at 1:33 pm —

Lovely post Jodi, I’m sorry for your lost but he seems like he had a wonderful life filled with great family!!

13. January 9, 2009 at 1:32 pm —

So sorry for your loss. I always think that no one loves us like our grandparents do. It’s such a special relationship. I’m glad your girls are old enough to remember him.

14. January 9, 2009 at 1:24 pm —

I am so sorry for your loss Jodi. You and your girls were very blessed to know him and I am so happy you will have those memories to remember him by.

15. Maureen Leary
    January 9, 2009 at 1:19 pm —

God Speed Papa D…you will be missed for you were loved!
    Many heartfelt condolences,
    Maureen

16. January 9, 2009 at 1:15 pm —

I am so sorry for your loss. What a beautiful photograph and tribute. May you find peace and solace in your wonderful memories.

17. January 9, 2009 at 1:00 pm —

What touching, meaningful sentiments, Jodi . . . beautifully expressed.

Your family certainly has experienced a whirlwind few weeks — a chance for multiple generations to celebrate lifetime vows and now to reflect on a long, enriching lifespan. Making memories, indeed.

Enduring lessons are being absorbed your girls — and others — about cycles, family and strength. How very fortunate indeed they are to have hugged, kissed and loved a great-grandfather — a gift not all of us enjoyed.

Heartfelt condolences to you and your household, Jodi.

18. Lauren
    January 9, 2009 at 12:59 pm —

I miss him already. Thank you for posting.

19. January 9, 2009 at 12:42 pm —

Jodi- So sorry for your loss. I think it is fantastic your girls will have memories of him!

20. January 9, 2009 at 12:41 pm —

Your post is a great reminder for all of us to cherish the time we have with each other because we never know how long that may be. I am sorry for your loss but it sounds like you have some wonderful memories to cherish for many years to come. Thanks for sharing your heart with us:-) God bless.