In Memory of a Great Man – Papa D

This post is in memory of my Papa D.  He was my husband’s grandfather (and made me feel like he was mine too).  Papa D had a severe stroke Monday and passed away last night at 93 years of age.

He will be missed.  His smile.  His warm hugs.  His laughter and zest for life.

We will miss him so much.  I hope we can carry on many of his traditions and rituals.  He always gave my twins (his great granddaughters)  dum dum lollipops whenever we would see him.  He loved dessert and was known to finish off the remains of the gallon tubs of ice cream at family gatherings.  He never would let you say goodbye without a big hug and kiss and a squeeze of the hands.  He was filled with so much knowledge, love and passion.

I am so thankful that my girls are old enough that they will always remember him and how special he was in their lives.  Family is so valuable.  Traditions are so important.  Remember to make memories every day.

Remember as a photographer to document life around you.

Here is my Grandpa, known to all as “Papa D.”  May his life guide all of us…

cousins_visit-371

TwitterFacebookPinterestGoogle Plus

Comments

1. says

Your post is a great reminder for all of us to cherish the time we have with each other because we never know how long that may be. I am sorry for your loss but it sounds like you have some wonderful memories to cherish for many years to come. Thanks for sharing your heart with us:-) God bless.

2. says

What touching, meaningful sentiments, Jodi . . . beautifully expressed.

Your family certainly has experienced a whirlwind few weeks — a chance for multiple generations to celebrate lifetime vows and now to reflect on a long, enriching lifespan. Making memories, indeed.

Enduring lessons are being absorbed your girls — and others — about cycles, family and strength. How very fortunate indeed they are to have hugged, kissed and loved a great-grandfather — a gift not all of us enjoyed.

Heartfelt condolences to you and your household, Jodi.

3. says

So sorry for your loss. I always think that no one loves us like our grandparents do. It’s such a special relationship. I’m glad your girls are old enough to remember him.

4. says

So sorry for your loss. It IS a blessing your girls will have wonderful memories of him. Both of my grandfathers passed before I was born and I always wish I had my own memories of a grandfather.

Blessings to you all in this sad time.

5. Jack Sugrue says

Jodi – Sorry for your loss. I have said a prayer for him and for your family. What a great picture – between it and your tribute, you have captured his spirit perfectly.

6. Laurie says

Jodi, I’m so sorry to hear of your loss. I wish I had more pictures of my grandfather. Sadly my boys never got to meet him. I’m sure your girls will smile fondly and always think of him everytime they see a dum dum lollipop. My thoughts are with you and your family.

7. says

I am so sorry to hear that he is gone. But I am glad that your family got to enjoy him and he lived to be 93. My prayers are for your family.

8. says

Oh Jodi….I’m so sorry to hear about your loss. What a beautiful picture you took of him too, it will be one you can hold onto forever, just like you said!

9. Pam Davis says

Sorry for the loss of a beloved member of your family. What a wonder image you captured what appears to be a man that lived and enjoyed life and his family. Pam

10. Laraine Davis says

What a wonderful tribute to your grandfather. I love the photo and the story of how he touched your lives. Blessings to your family.

11. says

Sorry to hear this story and sorry for your loss- yet is is an inspiring to know how happy he made his family feel and how much he touched your life. I love the photo – the way his eyes sparkle with happiness and experience. My parents are older and dealing with illnesses and I worry what will happen to our family when they are gone. I have 3 brothers and I pray that we can keep the traditions going.
    Darlene

12. says

So sorry to hear of your loss but so glad for the legacy he will leave. My boys (age 17 & 20) had one set of great grandparents until last year when Grandpa passed away. They were very close to him and they still have their Great Grandma (age 89) and I tell them how fortunate they are to have a relationship their great grand parents. Alot of people don’t get a chance to know their great grandparents.

13. Nancy says

Jodi, thank you for sharing a glimpse of this very special man with us! It is so sad to see such special people go. Since I lost my mother-in-law over Christmas my mind can’t stop thinking about what a full life she had, and what a huge person she was to so many people – I am sure it is the same with your Grandpa. But what a gift they are to the people who have known and loved them, even after they pass on…! Sincerely, Nancy

14. Peggy Arbeene says

I am sorry for your family’s loss. Your kind and loving words are full of wisdom and a gentle reminder of what is truly important.