Have a question? Reach us at: (866) 903-0998

Get in Photos with Your Family: There are NO Second Chances

Free Photoshop Actions and Lightroom Presets by MCP™

Get in Photos with Your Family: There are NO Second Chances

Today’s message to photographers: “Make sure you get in photos with your family.”

As a photographer, I prefer being behind the camera than in front of it. I often decline getting in photos with my kids.

Why? Well, for me, I always think… “once I lose weight or look better, then I will get in photos.” Well I am 40, and I am not getting thinner (one can dream) or younger. And it is selfish of me not to get in photos and snapshots. If something happened to me, my kids would want to look in albums to remember me, see me on vacations, and see me at their important events.

It does not mean I need to get in hundreds of images, nor do they need to be portraits.  But I need to get in more snapshots.

So I propose this: In 2012, I will make sure to get in more photos with and for my family. I will not worry if I have a few extra inches on my body or my makeup is not perfect. I will stop worrying about the photo someone takes of me having excellent composition, perfect lighting, or even having tack sharp focus. I am not doing this for me – I will do it for my children, my husband, my parents and all others who love me unconditionally.  My children love me no matter what. They do not judge or care what I look like in a picture. They only care that there’s a photo to begin with.

What sparked this post…

A mom of a kid in my daughter’s class sent me this photo below from Halloween and I thought – wow – I need to save and print this picture. It is one of the few from 2011 taken of me with one of my daughters. This was already on my mind from the summer.  My twins went to overnight camp and wanted to bring a current photo of both them and me. We could not locate anything recent.  I cannot let that happen again.

If you want to make this same commitment for 2012, leave a comment on this post.

Free Photoshop Actions and Lightroom Presets by MCP™
Canon G12 Point and Shoot Camera Giveaway
MCP Project 52: week 48 re-cap and introducing week 49

1. December 2, 2011 at 12:37 pm —

Great advice for anyone! I can think of a handful of friends who would benefit from your inspiration. I’ll be passing the message on… Happy Holidays!

2. Teresa
    December 2, 2011 at 12:03 pm —

This is so spot on. I only ever have photos of me with my kids if someone else is taking photos with their camera! I had to search really hard recently for a photo of myself to add to a job application – I just didn’t have anything! I already promised myself that I will get in more family photos, and am recommiting now!

3. Steph
    December 2, 2011 at 12:01 pm —

I’m totally in. I have one photo of my family and I from the past year, and that is when I plunked my DSLR on the hood of my truck, hit the auto-timer, and ran to get in the photo from one of our camping trips. I was so pleased to have a whole-family photo for once!

And by the way, Jodi, you *should* be in photos more often–you have a beautiful smile!

4. December 2, 2011 at 11:54 am —

My first little one will be here in March….I have already told myself that we need to make sure to take as many photos of him with us as we can…. I dont wanna forget the newborn/baby stage….or any stage for that matter 🙂

5. Angie
    December 2, 2011 at 11:53 am —

I love this. It is so true and I am so guilty of A. being the one who is most likely behind the camera and B. not wanting documentation of not looking like the skinny, vibrant, twenty something I was prior to having twins and another little guy!

Thank you for your food for thought.

• January 3, 2012 at 12:27 pm —

Angie, I feel exactly the same way. After having my twin girls and then my son I have extra “baggage” that embarrasses me. I used to have this idea that I would wait to get in more pictures when I “lose the weight” but what if I don’t get the chance?? That’s when I decided to take baby steps and just get in the photos… that way my babies will have some form of documentation of our lives together and how much my eyes were full of love and adoration for them. You can describe that but it’s not the same as seeing it.

6. Sandy
    December 2, 2011 at 11:51 am —

I am going to try for this too. I so wish I had more pictures of my mom and I (she has passed away). I will make an effort to be in some of the pictures and to ask for pictures of my husband and I together and with the kids. Even if you don’t like how you look in pictures it is absolutely true that someday you will be glad you ever looked this good, so don’t avoid it now, just think how good you will think you looked 20 years from now.

7. December 2, 2011 at 11:40 am —

I’m with you! I’ve recently had a cancer scare and can’t imagine my life not taking a few snapsnots with my kids as well!

8. December 2, 2011 at 11:37 am —

So many of us can relate, including me. Thanks Jodi for the reminder. My babies are 1 and 2 and as much as I prefer being behind the camera, I want them to see how much I love being with them too…

Happy Holidays!

PS – I’m in…

9. December 2, 2011 at 11:36 am —

I totally agree! Thanks for the reminder, I am definitely committing to this in 2012! (actually, I vow to start now 😉 )

10. Phyllis
    December 2, 2011 at 11:27 am —

Thank you for the inspiration! My son is 7 months old and I have only a handful of pictures with me in them. Any tips on how a newbie mom could accomplish this with a self timer?

11. December 2, 2011 at 11:24 am —

Oh this is so me. I hate being in photos. I have a really bad body image. And yet I preach it to everyone else O_O Time to get in those shots! THANK YOU!

12. Stacey S
    December 2, 2011 at 10:04 am —

I will make an effort to be in more photos with my kids in 2012. It is so hard looking at myself in pictures, but as you said Jodie, my kids don’t care what I look like. They love me anyway and if something should happen to me I would want them to have pictures to help remember me. So thank you for your post.

13. Linda
    December 2, 2011 at 9:10 am —

I agree! I actually started to do this the beginning of last year, and while I don’t really like photos of me if something happened to me I want her to have memories of me. Granted I don’t get to do it as often as I should, but I have made an effort to do it more if the opportunity arises. I will continue to do this for her.

14. Linda
    December 2, 2011 at 9:09 am —

I agree1 I actually started to do this the beginning of last year, and while I don’t really like photos of me if something happened to me I want her to have memories of me. Granted I don’t get to do it as often as I should, but I have made an effort to do it more if the opportunity arises. I will continue to do this for her.

15. December 2, 2011 at 9:38 am —

I’m in.

16. Donna
    December 2, 2011 at 9:28 am —

Jodi, you look beautiful! & yes as a photographer & a mum I make sure I get in at least some photos. Especially the important events. I couldn’t care what anyone else thinks of my big bum or big boobs, the love of my daughter & family is more than skin deep. Us mums rock no matter what shape or size we are. Make sure you get in front of that camera. When you are 80 & saggy & baggy, you will look back & think “what an absolute babe I was back then” 🙂

17. December 2, 2011 at 9:26 am —

Well, I think you and your daughter are beautiful! That’s a great commitment you made though.

18. December 2, 2011 at 9:24 am —

Wow…this really hit home. I barely have any pics of me, unless they are ones I have taken of myself and there are even fewer of me with my kids. at least in the last 3 years…I am gonna make it my vow to change this starting with this holiday season and new year. I think as photographers we are perfectionist and we forget that the real reason we take photos is to capture memories…

19. December 2, 2011 at 9:19 am —

I’m committed! I have hardly any pictures of me and my kids. . .

20. December 2, 2011 at 9:16 am —

So true! We took a photo recently and I am in it. It is so rare, and I need to do it more. Thank you for the inspiration!