4 Quick Tips to Printing a Gallery Wrapped Canvas

4 Quick Tips to Printing a Gallery Wrapped Canvas

In a few hours, MCP Actions will be partnering with Color Inc. to do a super fun contest – with 3 Gallery Wrap Canvases up for grabs.  If you have questions about getting images ready for print on canvas or about canvases in general, please post them below and I will have a rep from Color Inc. come answer them for you. Here are 4 quick tips to help you prepare your images for a gallery wrapped canvas. Come back to the blog in 3 hours to learn how to enter!

1. When using borders remember the bigger the better.  Due to the nature of working with wood – the size of a frame could vary by a fraction of an inch, so when using a border in your image – smaller the border even a fraction can be noticeable
  2. When preparing Gallery Wrapped Canvas images in Photoshop, please *add 2 inches to each side* of an image for wrapped area. For instance, if you are ordering a 16×20 canvas, the file size should be 20×24 inches at 300dpi.
  3. Proof your image carefully.  If you are printing a large canvas – remember that small flaws that would normally not be visible at a 4×6 size could be very noticeable at a 20×30 or larger.
  4. It’s always good practice to size your Gallery Wrap Canvas image in photoshop prior to uploading in Roes.

*** In answer to many questions about why “300dpi” – Color Inc. representative writes: 300dpi is the highest native resolution that we can print at, which is why we prefer the size. However most gallery wraps can get away with lower resolution if necessary, without visual quality degradation. We wouldn’t lower the resolution any further down than 150dpi or so, depending on the photo and the print size.

As far as upsizing the file, just drop the highest original resolution file into ROES.  This way, the customer can see the widest range of crops right in ROES, and don’t have to worry about messing with the file. If you would like to crop it in Photoshop prior to loading the file in ROES, crop the image from the original file to the size that you will be printing at with a resolution of 300.

Ordered a BIG Gallery Wrapped Canvas {Check out these Pictures}
Photo Contest: Win 20x30, 16x20, 16x16 canvases by Color Inc.

1. April 16, 2009 at 8:37 am — Reply

I am in the process of trying to pick a picture right now…. perfect post for today!! Thank you!

2. April 16, 2009 at 9:39 am — Reply

I’d love quick “steps” to sizing your image in Photoshop for canvas. Thank you!

3. April 16, 2009 at 9:56 am — Reply

I found your blog through PW and I’m so every glad I did! I’ve been following it for a while 🙂 I signed up for ColorInc., looks like a great company to be working with. So excited about the canvases too. I love them so much and prefer them over frames! 🙂

4. Patti
    April 16, 2009 at 10:06 am — Reply

What’s the largest size gallery wrap I should order for best quality from my 10.2 mp camera?

5. April 16, 2009 at 10:19 am — Reply

I LOVE canvasses – they have such a greater impact than prints!

6. April 16, 2009 at 10:41 am — Reply

I commented about sizing….on more thought. So, one of my clients wants a 14 x 14 canvas. I did my editing, flattened, changed to 300dpi by left the original size of the image. In ROES, the photos does not fit at all into the 14 x 14. Is this a sizing issue I need to adjust in Photoshop or do we need to pick a different size canvas based on the photo?

7. April 16, 2009 at 11:08 am — Reply

I have a question as to why you make the images for the canvas cropped to 300 DPI, but when you prepare a larger print then 11×14 you crop with the dpi box left untouched?

8. April 16, 2009 at 11:26 am — Reply

Hi Shannon!

300dpi is the highest native resolution that we can print at, which is why we prefer the size. However most gallery wraps can get away with lower resolution if necessary, without visual quality degredation. We wouldn’t lower the resolution any further down than 150dpi or so, depending on the photo and the print size.

If you have any further questions, don’t hesitate to contact us via e-mail or phone 🙂

1-800-475-8340
    [email protected]

9. Angela
    April 16, 2009 at 7:37 pm — Reply
  10. June 26, 2009 at 6:18 pm — Reply

Nice article it interesting. Nice reading your article i like reading your blog.