The results are in from the survey on using bribes to get your subjects to cooperate or participate in a photo shoot. The breakdown showed that 209 photographers voted.
- 99 of them said they will bribe both customers and their own kids if it helps get better photographs.
- 90 people said they will bribe their own family members, kids, pets, etc – but not other people’s.
- 3 photographers felt it was wrong to bribe under any and all circumstances
- 2 photographers said they would not bribe a family member but would use it with customers
- 15 said “other” and left comments
- 59 total people ended up leaving comments on the subject
Here are some interesting things that came up in the comments:
- Many felt the word “bribe” was too harsh. A number of people wrote in explaining that they prefer call it incentives. Some said it is a condition or a negotiation.
- A few explained that you should do positive reinforcement – reward good behavior. Not tell them if they do this, then they get this. Just give a reward for doing good. Then they remember and repeat. I liked this idea very much.
- One person explained that “once an adult resorts to bribery, the child has already won control of the situation.” That is an interesting thought and I just do think it may be more true than I would hope.
- Another person said they never bribe, but plead and beg instead… I think I do both – not always at the same time though.
- One person explained that it is not really a bribe if you say that if they do something for you – that you will do something for them. They said “it is only a bribe if the other person is protesting.”
- And a number of photographers that responded said the only reason they do not bribe is it does not work for their kids or subject – but they would if it did.
- And lastly a bunch of the comments explained what different people do for bribes (or incentives if you prefer) – these ideas ranged from candy, to going swimming or to the park, or getting money or even going to the movies.
I hope you found this post as interesting as I did. Feel free to leave more thoughts if you have them.
Thanks – Jodi