facebook_pixel
Have a question? Reach us at: (866) 903-0998

Blueprint – 2 different approaches to similar photographs (extreme versus natural)

Today’s blueprints will show you 2 similar photos of the same model taken in the same light. I edited them very differently so you could get an idea of how you can get completely different looks under the same conditions.

For the 1st Blueprint of this graduating high school senior, I took a natural enhanced approach.  I wanted to help smooth her skin a bit and reduce her acne. I kept her skin tone fairly natural and lightly brightened and sharpened the eyes as well.  See the exact details below.

blueprint6

For the 2nd Blueprint I decided to go to an extreme.  I am sure some of you may not prefer this because of the lack of detail in the skin and the overall ghostly brightness, but that was the point – to make this one fake and almost magazine model like.

So I am curious to hear your opinions.  I assume most will prefer one over the other – but I would love to hear what you like and why.

blueprint2

Get Ready for Father’s Day and Celebrate with this GREAT FREE DAD Template
What I decided... Mac versus PC?

1. June 12, 2009 at 12:40 pm —

Thanks 🙂

2. June 12, 2009 at 1:28 pm —

ooh, jodi…this is terrible…these are both great & you are seriously making me think i need to buy your actions! 🙂 whatever you’re doin, it’s working!

3. June 12, 2009 at 1:37 pm —

I do have to say I use your cover model actions more than anything. I love them for portraits. It makes each image look a bit different though depending on the overall exposure.
    I personally like the top one but the second looks a bit edgy which may be appealing to the Senior crowd. Love these. Keep them coming!

4. honey
    June 12, 2009 at 2:10 pm —

love them both but prefer the first. It looks amazing but still so natural. I could not live without your actions Jodi … I love seeing how you use them! Thanks for sharing.

5. June 12, 2009 at 2:12 pm —

What I like is the fact that you’ve done this blueprint and shown 2 different ways giving choices.
    Both photos are wonderful!

6. melissa
    June 12, 2009 at 3:42 pm —

First edited one is my favorite but I like both of them. I don’t think you over edited either. Seniors like that dramatic look and you have it here.

7. June 12, 2009 at 3:58 pm —

I love the ghostly-brightness! life is short, let the beauty be out loud! 🙂

8. Raquel
    June 12, 2009 at 5:28 pm —

She’s a lovely girl! I think both of your examples are awesome! I think the first photo would be the one that the parents choose for display in their home and copies made to be sent to grandparents because it is more natural looking and the second photo would be something that the young lady would want for herself. I love the way her eyes look in the second one, but her face is too washed out compared to the rest of her skin.

9. June 12, 2009 at 5:55 pm —

I love both, but would’ve probably have added back some of the natural skin tone in the 2nd. Still, I know tons of teenage girls who would love to have and who have asked me for magazine looks like the 2nd. Beautiful edits and great post all around. Thanks!

10. June 12, 2009 at 6:38 pm —

I really like the drama of the second one, and I love how her eyes look in the second one as well!The first one is nice too, but if I could only pick one I would pick the second.

11. June 12, 2009 at 7:16 pm —

I prefer the first style. I really like warm skin tones. The second is definitely more artsy and stunning. It really makes the eyes stand out.

12. June 12, 2009 at 8:32 pm —

I like the first one better because of the visible details in her face. Like her smile lines.

13. June 12, 2009 at 11:23 pm —

I like both of them — though, if I had to make a choice — I would say the second is my favorite!

14. June 13, 2009 at 1:59 am —

Beautiful! I like both. In a perfect world, I would like the skin tones of #1 and the eyes of #2. But since I am hopelessly in love with the editorial/fashion look, I’d pick #2 if forced to choose.

15. June 13, 2009 at 8:38 am —

The eyes really pop in #2. I love that about #2. Both are fantastic!

16. June 13, 2009 at 3:29 pm —

I wish I could use your actions. So nice. I just love them!

17. June 14, 2009 at 9:25 pm —

I like the first one because she’s so pretty and the whole thing looks much more natural and sweet. I really like the colors, too. It’s fun to see what you can do with both pictures, so I liked seeing #2, but I prefer the first. =) Thanks for sharing this with us!!

18. carrie goede
    June 15, 2009 at 12:09 pm —

I love the 2nd edit! I agree that a senior would love the glammed up version much better than the natural version.

19. August 2, 2009 at 4:50 pm —