Today’s blueprints will show you 2 similar photos of the same model taken in the same light. I edited them very differently so you could get an idea of how you can get completely different looks under the same conditions.

For the 1st Blueprint of this graduating high school senior, I took a natural enhanced approach.  I wanted to help smooth her skin a bit and reduce her acne. I kept her skin tone fairly natural and lightly brightened and sharpened the eyes as well.  See the exact details below.

blueprint6 thumb1 Blueprint – 2 different approaches to similar photographs (extreme versus natural)

For the 2nd Blueprint I decided to go to an extreme.  I am sure some of you may not prefer this because of the lack of detail in the skin and the overall ghostly brightness, but that was the point – to make this one fake and almost magazine model like.

So I am curious to hear your opinions.  I assume most will prefer one over the other – but I would love to hear what you like and why.

blueprint2 thumb1 Blueprint – 2 different approaches to similar photographs (extreme versus natural)

twitter Blueprint – 2 different approaches to similar photographs (extreme versus natural)facebook Blueprint – 2 different approaches to similar photographs (extreme versus natural)pinterest Blueprint – 2 different approaches to similar photographs (extreme versus natural)googleplus Blueprint – 2 different approaches to similar photographs (extreme versus natural)

andie says:

I like them both. love the blue tones in the bottom one….but i prefer her top one…not due to editing but because of her smile.

Genevieve says:

I like them both

Mary Hanson says:

I like what you have done with both, I prefer #1, but I do think that seniors will love the highly edited glam version #2. :)

KarenJ says:

I like the top one better because (as Andie stated) I like her smile better. I also like the color of her face better on the top one. Both are good, top one just appeals to me. Love your work!

MegganB says:

Definitely a fan of the natural – just more classic and one that I think everyone can appreciate whereas the extreme only goes for a certain audience.

Brenda says:

I like the eyes better in the second one but the more natural editing in the first one appeals to me more. I guess I just like dramatic eyes.

angie says:

i like them both. i would likely print more of the first one though.

Tracy Waldrop says:

I love them both!! Great work!!

Michelle says:

I like them both… but as far as what one I would lean towards for my own clients I would stick with the first more natural looking edit. :)

Laraine Davis says:

Thanks for showing these Jodi, I love your work and that you are sharing them with us. Have a fabulous weekend!

becca cleary says:

I like them both too. I bet her mom will prefer the top one, but she will prefer the bottom one! It’s a much edgier look. I like to pop my colors when I edit and fall somewhere in between the two of these. Awesome shots of a pretty girl!!

MariaV says:

Ditto the other comments. I like both. The top I would prefer for framing and display. The bottom I would prefer for most print projects. Either would be good for scrapbooking depending on the layout design.

jen says:

i like them both, but to veer from the comments so far…i prefer the bottom one. it is just my taste–tend to be attracted to edgier processing!

Jodi, I love both! can you tell me what you did with eye doctor in the 2nd? I iris is a total different color. Is it just from brighten iris?
    thanks Shawnee :)

Jodi says:

Just what was written Shawnee – Urban cover model – the urban part probably was responsible :)

Vanessa says:

I love the skin in both. I prefer the first, but both are nice. I want to be more consistent in getting that ultra smooth, creamy, glowing skin. Nice edits.

Susan Dodd says:

I actually love them both!! Two completely different but fabulous looks! Beautiful! :-)

Krista says:

Top one for me. While the 2nd one is gorgeous, I appreciate the more “natural” look of the first.

Michele says:

Actually, I too like them both. I may have liked the top best, if you had done her eyes as in the bottom.
    I have your Eye Doctor, and use this action ALL the time. I love what it does. It is the one action I can’t live without!

Adrianne says:

I do like them both while preferring the more natural look of #1. But, as someone stated above, the teen girls will love the glamour look of #2. I can see how showing both versions to a client would be beneficial. Great job on both.

[…] lightly brightened and sharpened the eyes as well.  See the exact details belo Continued here:  Blueprint – 2 different approaches to similar photographs (extreme versus natural) Share and […]

apryl says:

ooh, jodi…this is terrible…these are both great & you are seriously making me think i need to buy your actions! :) whatever you’re doin, it’s working!

Melinda says:

I do have to say I use your cover model actions more than anything. I love them for portraits. It makes each image look a bit different though depending on the overall exposure.
    I personally like the top one but the second looks a bit edgy which may be appealing to the Senior crowd. Love these. Keep them coming!

honey says:

love them both but prefer the first. It looks amazing but still so natural. I could not live without your actions Jodi … I love seeing how you use them! Thanks for sharing.

Pam says:

What I like is the fact that you’ve done this blueprint and shown 2 different ways giving choices.
    Both photos are wonderful!

melissa says:

First edited one is my favorite but I like both of them. I don’t think you over edited either. Seniors like that dramatic look and you have it here.

johnna says:

I love the ghostly-brightness! life is short, let the beauty be out loud! :)

Raquel says:

She’s a lovely girl! I think both of your examples are awesome! I think the first photo would be the one that the parents choose for display in their home and copies made to be sent to grandparents because it is more natural looking and the second photo would be something that the young lady would want for herself. I love the way her eyes look in the second one, but her face is too washed out compared to the rest of her skin.

Stephanie says:

I love both, but would’ve probably have added back some of the natural skin tone in the 2nd. Still, I know tons of teenage girls who would love to have and who have asked me for magazine looks like the 2nd. Beautiful edits and great post all around. Thanks!

Rose says:

I really like the drama of the second one, and I love how her eyes look in the second one as well!The first one is nice too, but if I could only pick one I would pick the second.

Erica Lea says:

I prefer the first style. I really like warm skin tones. The second is definitely more artsy and stunning. It really makes the eyes stand out.

heather says:

I like the first one better because of the visible details in her face. Like her smile lines.

I like both of them — though, if I had to make a choice — I would say the second is my favorite!

Sinead says:

Beautiful! I like both. In a perfect world, I would like the skin tones of #1 and the eyes of #2. But since I am hopelessly in love with the editorial/fashion look, I’d pick #2 if forced to choose.

The eyes really pop in #2. I love that about #2. Both are fantastic!

I wish I could use your actions. So nice. I just love them!

Julie says:

I like the first one because she’s so pretty and the whole thing looks much more natural and sweet. I really like the colors, too. It’s fun to see what you can do with both pictures, so I liked seeing #2, but I prefer the first. =) Thanks for sharing this with us!!

carrie goede says:

I love the 2nd edit! I agree that a senior would love the glammed up version much better than the natural version.

EFAN says:

Jodi, I love both!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Blueprint – 2 different approaches to similar photographs (extreme versus natural) | My Money and Finance Blog @ Smrits - [...] lightly brightened and sharpened the eyes as well.  See the exact details belo Continued here:  Blueprint – …
Add Comment Register