Blueprint – 2 different approaches to similar photographs (extreme versus natural)

Free Photoshop Actions and Lightroom Presets by MCP™

Today’s blueprints will show you 2 similar photos of the same model taken in the same light. I edited them very differently so you could get an idea of how you can get completely different looks under the same conditions.

For the 1st Blueprint of this graduating high school senior, I took a natural enhanced approach.  I wanted to help smooth her skin a bit and reduce her acne. I kept her skin tone fairly natural and lightly brightened and sharpened the eyes as well.  See the exact details below.

blueprint6

For the 2nd Blueprint I decided to go to an extreme.  I am sure some of you may not prefer this because of the lack of detail in the skin and the overall ghostly brightness, but that was the point – to make this one fake and almost magazine model like.

So I am curious to hear your opinions.  I assume most will prefer one over the other – but I would love to hear what you like and why.

blueprint2

Free Photoshop Actions and Lightroom Presets by MCP™
Get Ready for Father’s Day and Celebrate with this GREAT FREE DAD Template
What I decided... Mac versus PC?

1. Adrianne
    June 12, 2009 at 12:07 pm —

I do like them both while preferring the more natural look of #1. But, as someone stated above, the teen girls will love the glamour look of #2. I can see how showing both versions to a client would be beneficial. Great job on both.

2. June 12, 2009 at 11:18 am —

Actually, I too like them both. I may have liked the top best, if you had done her eyes as in the bottom.
    I have your Eye Doctor, and use this action ALL the time. I love what it does. It is the one action I can’t live without!

3. June 12, 2009 at 11:18 am —

Top one for me. While the 2nd one is gorgeous, I appreciate the more “natural” look of the first.

4. June 12, 2009 at 11:15 am —

I actually love them both!! Two completely different but fabulous looks! Beautiful! 🙂

5. Vanessa
    June 12, 2009 at 10:33 am —

I love the skin in both. I prefer the first, but both are nice. I want to be more consistent in getting that ultra smooth, creamy, glowing skin. Nice edits.

6. June 12, 2009 at 10:25 am —

Just what was written Shawnee – Urban cover model – the urban part probably was responsible 🙂

7. June 12, 2009 at 10:17 am —

Jodi, I love both! can you tell me what you did with eye doctor in the 2nd? I iris is a total different color. Is it just from brighten iris?
    thanks Shawnee 🙂

8. June 12, 2009 at 10:12 am —

i like them both, but to veer from the comments so far…i prefer the bottom one. it is just my taste–tend to be attracted to edgier processing!

9. MariaV
    June 12, 2009 at 10:09 am —

Ditto the other comments. I like both. The top I would prefer for framing and display. The bottom I would prefer for most print projects. Either would be good for scrapbooking depending on the layout design.

10. June 12, 2009 at 10:06 am —

I like them both too. I bet her mom will prefer the top one, but she will prefer the bottom one! It’s a much edgier look. I like to pop my colors when I edit and fall somewhere in between the two of these. Awesome shots of a pretty girl!!

11. Laraine Davis
    June 12, 2009 at 9:58 am —

Thanks for showing these Jodi, I love your work and that you are sharing them with us. Have a fabulous weekend!

12. June 12, 2009 at 9:52 am —

I like them both… but as far as what one I would lean towards for my own clients I would stick with the first more natural looking edit. 🙂

13. Tracy Waldrop
    June 12, 2009 at 9:52 am —

I love them both!! Great work!!

14. angie
    June 12, 2009 at 9:50 am —

i like them both. i would likely print more of the first one though.

15. June 12, 2009 at 9:47 am —

I like the eyes better in the second one but the more natural editing in the first one appeals to me more. I guess I just like dramatic eyes.

16. June 12, 2009 at 9:44 am —

Definitely a fan of the natural – just more classic and one that I think everyone can appreciate whereas the extreme only goes for a certain audience.

17. June 12, 2009 at 9:37 am —

I like the top one better because (as Andie stated) I like her smile better. I also like the color of her face better on the top one. Both are good, top one just appeals to me. Love your work!

18. June 12, 2009 at 9:25 am —

I like what you have done with both, I prefer #1, but I do think that seniors will love the highly edited glam version #2. 🙂

19. June 12, 2009 at 9:24 am —

I like them both

20. June 12, 2009 at 9:04 am —

I like them both. love the blue tones in the bottom one….but i prefer her top one…not due to editing but because of her smile.