It’s official. Adobe’s Lightroom 4 is now available.
We have expected it for months. Now it is here.
MCP Actions stays on top of the trends so you can too. Here is what we know:
The Good: Lightroom 4 has many new features to excite photographers.
- A huge price drop. Lightroom 3 was introduced at $299. Lightroom 4 retails for $149.95 and has an upgrade price of $79.95. Yes, that is 1/2 off. Lightroom continues to be an essential tool for professional photographers, but now it will be more affordable for hobbyists too.
- Changes to tonal controls. For example Lightroom 4 handles highlights and shadows better.
- More local adjustment brushes. There are now brushes for things like white balance and noise reduction.
- Lots of gadgets. From photo book creation to GPS, there are many new and exciting things to try.
- Video is the rage. If you shoot video and still photography with your SLR, you will love the easy-to-use video features of Lightroom 4.
The Bad: Changes create compatibility issues.
- Process version switch. Lightroom 3 used Process 2010 while Lightroom 4 uses Process 2012. What does this mean for you? If a photo was edited in Lightroom 3, you will need to select the older process version or have Lightroom guess how to change old settings to new.
- Favorite sliders are gone. Brightness, Recovery and Fill are not part of Process 2012, the LR4 processing engine. Exposure incorporates Brightness now so one slider will serve the function of both. The upside of this is there are three more specific sliders: Highlights, Shadows and Whites.
- Presets incompatible. Many Lightroom Presets made or purchased for LR 2 and 3 will not work in Lightroom 4. Any presets that use the updated sliders will not work correctly. Some, like exposure presets, will not work at all.
The Best: We are recreating our Quick Clicks Collection of presets currently. Since most looks are dependent on sliders that changed, we will literally be starting from scratch. Because we value our customers and always strive to provide you with the best customer service, we are making this upgrade complimentary for those who have already purchased Quick Clicks. Please subscribe to our newsletter and follow us on Facebook to be the first to know when this upgrade is available.
* If you purchased the Quick Clicks Collection for Lightroom 2 and 3, we will have the complimentary upgrade available for Lightroom 4 later this Spring.