Jasmine Star – Ask Her Anything You Want!

Free Photoshop Actions and Lightroom Presets by MCP™

Jasmine Star – Ask Her Anything You Want!

jasmine_hybrid

I am so excited to have Jasmine Star GUEST BLOGGING on MCP Actions Blog. She is an incredible photographer and writer – and reading her blog often brings a smile to my face. She knows how to connect with her audience and is super giving.  To see her work and learn more about her, click here, and to read her blog, click here.

I wanted to come up with something unique to do with Jasmine. Interview? Nope – that has been done before. Have her teach you a specific topic – well maybe but then she or I would be deciding what you want to know. So…

“Ask Jasmine Star Anything?”

What do you want to know? Ask your questions in the comment section below. Some time late this week or beginning of next, she will come here and pick 10 of these questions to answer on my blog. So think hard, what is it you want to know from this super sweet, popular wedding photographer with an ultra successful photography business and blog?

Have fun thinking of your questions…

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Here is a small sampling of her amazing work:

blogkaseynick0019

blogmirandajustin0015blogstephaniestephen010

Free Photoshop Actions and Lightroom Presets by MCP™
Problem Photo: One Customer's Fix
Name Your Dream Assignment and Have a Chance to Win $50,000

1. March 2, 2009 at 1:28 pm —

I had my first time shooting a bride in her wedding dress a couple weeks ago. And I found it tricky to nail my exposures without losing some detail in her dress. Any tips for metering and getting exposures right in this situation? Is it better to be a little over-exposed ( for less noise, brighter skintones) or is better to underexpose a little and brighten in post? Thanks Jasmine!!

2. March 2, 2009 at 1:20 pm —

J* – it’s funny, your blog answers so many questions, that maybe I just want to know what size shoe you wear and what your favorite color is! ha ha! See you next week!

3. March 2, 2009 at 12:13 pm —

J* You are such a Diva for sharing your knowledge and inspire us all! I just had one question, during this tough economy, How has that changed your pricing or has it? Would you suggest lowering it or not during this down time for us photographers? Ok that was 2 questions, oops! LOL Thanks darlin!

4. Kris
    March 2, 2009 at 12:07 pm —

Hi! My question for Jasmine: Do you ever use a flash or another light source other than natural light-especially at wedding receptions?

5. Tina Harden
    March 2, 2009 at 11:42 am —

First off I love your work and how you basically gave it all up to follow your passion. I too would do the same they if I had it to do all over again and would have discovered my passion early on in life as you were so fortunate to have. Can you tell me from a behind the camera perspective, what are the 5 most important things you did to develop your technical skills as a photographer?

6. March 2, 2009 at 11:35 am —

More questions…(sorry)…. I see you use Pictage for clients to order prints & Show-It if they want to order DVDs. (I’m about to place my order for a Show-it website!!!)Does Pictage send prints directly to clients or do you get to see final product first, or do you trust them enough you don’t need to have control over prints? I’m struggling to find how I’m going to handle print requests….right now I use a local lab and do all the orders & packaging myself…

And….what about monitor calibration – if you use different companies do you have to update the monitor specs everytime to make sure your prints will look okay?
    Do you provide the same pic color and b&w or do you just decide and that’s what they get….

7. March 2, 2009 at 11:34 am —

A while back Jasmine talked about using SmugMug, I’d like to know how that’s going and if it’s improved business with ordering, etc. It seems like a fantastic value.

8. Steve Simmons
    March 2, 2009 at 11:31 am —

Hi Jasmine,

I heard you talk on the Free to Succeed Tour and was amazed to hear that you had “never picked up a digital camera before.” But then you proceeded to say that you shot film for years and even had your own darkroom. Why do you claim that you were a novice and all of a sudden, overnight success when you had SLRs and shot film for years? Don’t you feel you’re misrepresenting your experience and abilities? The digital learning curve isn’t THAT big that a film shooter would be unable to master a digital camera in a reasonable period of time.

9. March 2, 2009 at 11:23 am —

I have so many questions for you Jasmine, but first off want to say how much I love your style. I am mostly curious about your post-processing (do you have actions or do you edit each picture manually) …. and what do you outsource – I know you outsource album design (smart!). But I’m wondering what your work flow is and HOW you manage to edit/process so many weddings & engagements. Do you have staff working for you? Does your husband 2nd shoot w/ you at every wedding or do you ever go solo? (I’m solo). Do you offer a ton of packages w/ print sizes & albums … what are your packages/prices – how did you COME UP with them?! Do you just offer that one style of album (that you wrote about on your blog?) Will you ever come to Canada to speak? I’d love to attend one of your workshops!!! You are AWESOME!!!!!!!!!

10. March 2, 2009 at 11:07 am —

For someone starting out in a similar situation as you (i.e. little to no money but lots of passion and drive), what are your top 5 “must dos” to make a successful start, based on what you have learned? Basic equipment and a web site are table stakes, in my opinion, and you cover that well on your blog already.

11. tracy
    March 2, 2009 at 10:56 am —

hi jasmine, i’m a huge fan of your blog! your subjects always look like they are having FUN in the shoots… any advice on achieving that? you get “ordinary” people to look like they have been in front of the camera for years. do you just crank up the music and let them be themselves? its so hard getting people to feel and act natural in front of the camera… what is your secret?

12. March 2, 2009 at 10:41 am —

Jasmine,
    I am a huge fan of your work and I love your blog! Anyway, my question is about your awesome slide shows, where do you get your music? You always seem to find the perfect song for each session.

Thanks for keeping me inspired! You rock Girl!

13. March 2, 2009 at 10:36 am —

Hi! I absolutely LOVE Jasmine Starr’s style! I am a new photographer. Right now I photograph mostly families/kids but have started to get the itch to move into wedding photography. In fact, I have been asked to take wedding photos towards the end of the year.

My question is what my minimum equipment should be to be able to properly shoot a wedding. My current lenses are a 35 f/2.0 and a 50 f/1.8. I shoot with a Nikon D80 at this time and own one SB600 speedlight that can work off camera.

I know I need another camera body and I probably will rent one for the wedding. But I feel like I need another lens. I have been eyeing the 85 f/1.8. But then I think maybe a zoom – maybe a longer zoom – would be more appropriate. I am not sure I will be able to afford to buy a fast zoom, but renting is always an inexpensive option – at least for a first wedding.

Thanks so much!!!!!

14. March 2, 2009 at 10:13 am —

Hi Jasmine! I have followed your blog forever and am constantly inspired by your fresh, original eye. I know you have mentioned that you are inspired by magazines, what else inspires you and helps you to keep your work looking so unique? I have been feeling like my work is caught in a ‘sea of sameness’ and am looking for ways to give it a shot in the arm!

Thanks for sharing and dedicating so much time to making us all better photographers!

15. March 2, 2009 at 10:12 am —

Hey Jasmine!!! I really love the look of your work!! We all have inspirations…you being one of my many, but who has inspired you over the years? Wedding or not….what photographers and artists have had a huge impact on the way you have developed your style?

Thanks again for all that you do for the wedding photography community!!

Terra

16. Rhonda DeMone
    March 2, 2009 at 10:09 am —

Hi Jasmine!

Huge fan, love your work! I’m interested in knowing more about your post-processing. I’d love to see a SOOC shot and a fully edited photo. I believe you out-source your raw images but how much editing do you do afterwards?
    Also want to know when you are coming to Canada for any type of workshop? 😉

Thanks for giving so much of yourself,
    Rhonda

17. March 2, 2009 at 10:04 am —

For the lens questions, Jasmine shows all the gear she uses on her site/blog (one of those, I forget).
    Jasmine, will you be on tour again any time soon?

18. March 2, 2009 at 9:48 am —

Gosh so many questions… but I think that you shoot with a 50mm. Is the only lens you shoot with? Or do you have other lens that, for you, are ABSOLUTE MUSTS, for weddings?

Also, you have an obvious natural charisma that draws so many people to you and has helped you be successful as you are (aside from your awesome talent)… I’m wondering if you had any advice for those of us who are NOT naturally as charismatic, charming… (ie. don’t seem to photograph as well in front of a camera as you do)…

19. March 2, 2009 at 9:41 am —

I’d like to know what brand of bag are you carrying in your group shoot at WPPI!

20. March 2, 2009 at 9:34 am —

Whoot, first commenter!?! My question is: What would you suggest is a first step and/or a good resource for branding. I am overwhelmed, and a little petrified by the subject. I need to set up a blog, and a business card, and don’t know how to make it consistent. A -I don’t have the moolah for a company. b- Am I going to have to spend time learning how to do it myself? Sounds easy for some, but for me, I’m not THAT computer savvy. This step has been keeping me back from the next step in my business, and that is pretty bad. Any advice appreciated! Thanks to you both.