facebook_pixel
Have a question? Reach us at: (866) 903-0998

18 Free Photography Books – Your Photography Summer Reading List

18 Free Photography Books – Your Photography Summer Reading List

If I told you I had over a dozen free photography books to give you, is that something you would be interested in?

Well I do – sort of. These are online live previews of books.  Think about the old days when you could sit in a book store and page through books before deciding if you wanted to buy them…  Well with Amazon and other online book stores, you basically guess if you like a book.  And who has time for bookstores anymore?  When I do get to go to the bookstore, my kids want to be in the “children’s area.”

And on the off chance I make it to the photography section, the selection is usually poor at best and the prices higher than online.

So today at MCP Actions Blog, I bring you a bookstore – a small one of 18 books.  I have read and own about 1/2 of these.  The rest I just added in for you to decide. I would love after you have a chance to read through some to come tell us your feedback in the comment section.

The top row are MUST HAVES!  The Bryan Peterson books – especially Understanding Exposure.  In my opinion, every photographer needs to own this one.

These books below are called Limited Previews – basically they skip a page or two here and there – but most of the book is intact for you.  So you can scan and see if you get enough from it this way – or if you want to buy it so you can hold it and embrace it.

I hope you enjoy – and I hope you will twitter, stumbleupon, and digg this post (using buttons at the bottom) so others can utilize this resource.  Stay tuned tomorrow for Photoshop Books!

Thanks – Jodi

understanding exp learn to see beyond portraiture

sandy puc group portrait photography children's portrait

lighting portrait photog   high key

doug box master posing port photog

butterfly photographer's handbook  wildlife photography  closeups in nature

sports2 sports legal

"Trash the Dress" - It's About Creation, not Destruction
12 Free Photoshop Books plus 3 MCP Favorite Books Revealed

1. June 3, 2009 at 9:08 am — Reply

I have about 1/2 of these too.

2. June 3, 2009 at 9:31 am — Reply

Awesome… I have some of these but have wanted a few others. Thanks for posting this.

3. June 3, 2009 at 9:50 am — Reply

Wow Jodi!!! Thanks so much! I have a few of them but I’ve really been wanting the Sandy Puc book.

4. June 3, 2009 at 10:17 am — Reply

Awesome list.. will have to check them out, I think you should include this one too: http://fasttrackphotographer.com/ I’ve heard so many amazing things about this book.. and I plan on getting a copy asap. I think if you enter your email you can get the first 18 pages…

5. June 3, 2009 at 10:34 am — Reply

I agree with the Bryan Peterson books.. must haves!!! Great list.. thanks so much !!

6. Vickie
    June 3, 2009 at 10:35 am — Reply

Thanks Jodi! I teach high school digital photography and use Bryan Peterson’s Exposure book in our 1st semester section. It doesn’t get any better! Loved looking at the others and will add a few to our class books! Love your blog!!

• June 3, 2009 at 10:38 am — Reply

Vickie – how fun! yes – his book is wonderful! well books – but especially Understanding Exposure.

7. June 3, 2009 at 10:37 am — Reply

Hi Jodi,

Which of the portrait/posing books would you recommend for an absolute beginner?

Thanks,

Rae

8. MariaV
    June 3, 2009 at 11:17 am — Reply

Thank you, Jodi. There is a Border’s around the corner from where I work and I haven’t been there in months.

9. June 3, 2009 at 12:09 pm — Reply

I just want to say I am a new reader to your blog and I love it. I am a teach myself very very amateur photographer so I found this blog very helpful. I have so much to learn and you gave me some great resources to check out.

10. Lisa
    June 3, 2009 at 12:41 pm — Reply

I have Understanding Exposure and gained so much from it. I would love to own the others. Thanks for always keeping us informed. Take care!

11. Laurie
    June 3, 2009 at 12:41 pm — Reply

I have Understanding Exposure and a few of the portraiture books. I would like to look at Learning to See Creatively so thanks for the sneak peek!

12. June 3, 2009 at 1:11 pm — Reply

Awesome! It was fun looking through the books I don’t have already. Glad to see John Shaw’s book there, he is my favorite landscape and nature photographer and super nice guy. ♥

13. Allison
    June 3, 2009 at 2:33 pm — Reply

I just spent my entire “allowance” on books – I already own a few, so I will have to dust them off and reread them.

14. June 3, 2009 at 3:06 pm — Reply

Thanks so much for posting this, Jodi. I am a book junkie and have most all of the books you listed, but highly agree with you about Bryan Peterson’s “Understanding Exposure”. I cannot recommend that one enough to any photographer, and have given the book as a gift to numerous people when they get a new camera.
    Pam

15. Nada
    June 3, 2009 at 4:01 pm — Reply

Which one of these would you say is the best for posing?

16. June 3, 2009 at 4:56 pm — Reply

Thanks so much for sharing this list, Jodi! I can’t wait to sit down and go through these.

17. June 3, 2009 at 5:14 pm — Reply

Thanks for posting this! I’m excited to look through them. 🙂

18. Gail
    June 3, 2009 at 6:49 pm — Reply

Thanks for the fabulous list of books!

19. SandraC
    June 3, 2009 at 8:57 pm — Reply

Thanks for this awesome list, half of them are on my wishlist 😉

20. June 3, 2009 at 9:24 pm — Reply

Wow! Thanks a million! I just ordered the first book and have a few of the others, but have been “eye-balling” the rest! Woohooo, great source! Thanks, Jodi!

21. June 3, 2009 at 11:16 pm — Reply

so totally cool – tfs! i have some and have earmarked for others, so a preview is fab!!

22. June 4, 2009 at 5:53 pm — Reply

I just ordered two of them today. I would like to have all of them in my library!

23. June 6, 2009 at 9:47 pm — Reply

[…] at MCP actions recently blogged about some of here favourite photography & photoshop books – well worth checking […]

24. June 28, 2009 at 7:47 pm — Reply

25. July 4, 2009 at 12:52 am — Reply

Awesome, after many years out of photography the creative juices are flowing and I need to dust off my camera, want to get some photo books so this helps me choose.

26. August 19, 2009 at 9:12 am — Reply

thank you for sharing this…. it gives me ideas how to take more beautiful photos……

27. […] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Imene , Imene . Imene said: RT @tweetmeme 18 Free Photography Books – Your Photography Summer Reading List | MCP Actions Blog .. http://bit.ly/9c9HRL […]

28. July 21, 2011 at 9:09 pm — Reply

Very Very cool…who knew that “mastering exposure” was available for free. Remember it being required reading in my grade 10 photo class YEARS ago!
    Here’s a photobook we put out to share with the community.
    Enjoy 🙂