Which Photoshop Actions Recipe Do You Prefer?

Free Photoshop Actions and Lightroom Presets by MCP™

Which Photoshop Actions Recipe Do You Prefer?

What kind of editing do you like best?  Below we have an image submitted by Sonomi Johnson, edited numerous ways using Photoshop Actions.  Which is your favorite? I added my comments/critique with each edit.  Add yours in the comment section too.

Original:

Original: Before Editing

Edit 1: No processing except cloning. This is a great image straight out of camera, but the background was distracting.  I like that Sonomi got rid of the complex, busy background.  The cloning is not perfect.  So if I was working with her on it, I would have her scatter the trees a bit more so they were not uniform.  And there are two spots where I see a stroke just end.  But once she applied actions, the cloned issues actually became less apparent. See other edits.

Original + cloned background/cloned boots

Edit 2: I like the tones added with Mini Fusion Photoshop actions.  The action created a mood to the image.  It seems to fit well.

Mini Fusion (Cool Blue Sea Tone) + Quickie Collection’s Sharp as a Tack

Edit 3: This edit is similar to #2, but slightly more yellow toned.  Normally I prefer warm, but on this one, I actually prefer the cooler edit.

Mini Fusion (all 3 tones) + Quickie Collection’s Sharp as a Tack

Edit 4: I love the Vanilla Ice Cream Black and White Photoshop action on this image.  It looks great in black and white.  If being nit picky, I would say the slightly darker trees are right up the middle – so adding a few more bunches of them on the sides would help.  And I might add fill light to the black skirt so we could see more detail.  But overall, I love this edit.

Quickie Collection’s Vanilla Ice Cream

Edit 5: Old School Vintage is a washed out style.  It works nicely for this image as well.  But if I had to pick a “winner” for me it is the “edit 2.” Now it is your turn to share.

Complete Workflow’s Old School Vintage

These photos were all taken by the talented Sonomi Johnson. Her photos are amazing to begin with, great lighting, exposure and focus.  But she loves subtle edits with Photoshop too.

Free Photoshop Actions and Lightroom Presets by MCP™
How Copyright Law Applies to Photographers and Bloggers
30+ Creative Studio Backdrop Ideas for Photographers on a Budget

1. February 17, 2012 at 1:16 pm —

I like edit #2 best. And the vintage #5 is a close second. Not such a fan of the cloned trees though. But if I hadn’t seen the original-I might never have noticed..

• February 17, 2012 at 1:19 pm —

To be more specific about the trees…I don’t like how they become darker right behind the subject, it is distracting. Since you cloned them, I would try to increase the white space behind her head, thus drawing out the subject. Her eis an example of a shot I took that has the person “framed” by the white space in the background.

2. Joella
    February 17, 2012 at 12:54 pm —

My favorite is Edit #2. I love the sharpness and the vibrancy of the colors!

3. February 17, 2012 at 12:42 pm —

I like 3 the best, tho only slightly more than 2. It has just a bit more pop. I have to be honest tho, I feel the cloning is far more distracting than the columns in the original image. I find my eye drawn to the repetition rather than to the beautiful little girl. Actually, I rather like the columns and would consider at least leaving in the ones in the rightmost third of the photo.

4. February 17, 2012 at 12:30 pm —

Edit #2 is my fav!

5. February 17, 2012 at 11:59 am —

I like Edit 2 the best as well. Cute Pic 🙂

6. February 17, 2012 at 11:25 am —

I LOVE #3. #4 is my 2nd favorite!! Beautiful work!

7. February 17, 2012 at 10:52 am —

#2 and the b/w are my favs!! Beautiful little girl!

8. H Tam
    February 17, 2012 at 10:24 am —

Edit 2 looks best on this picture – it goes with the theme. 🙂

9. H Tam
    February 17, 2012 at 10:24 am —

Edit 2 looks the best on this picture – it goes with the theme. 🙂

10. heatherK
    February 17, 2012 at 10:19 am —

I agree with everything Britneye said. For this particular photo, I like edit 2. But in general, I love the styles in edits 4 and 5.

11. February 17, 2012 at 10:09 am —

My personal style it that I prefer for editing to be like well applied make-up. It should bring out the natural beauty, but shouldn’t be noticeable as an edit… for portraits anyway. So, I like edit 2 as well. but, I think it just depends on your style.

12. Jenny
    February 17, 2012 at 10:00 am —

Edit #3.

The background cloning needs some fine tuning. And I noticed the railing on the left side of the image was removed, but not on the right? Personally, I’d crop the image from the top a bit; I think it would help detract the eye from the obvious repetition of the background cloning. Also, I thought the boots were a nice touch of character in the original, so I wouldn’t have cloned them out.

13. sara killough
    February 17, 2012 at 9:56 am —

I like 2 and 5… i love the vintage look… my favorites are the super saturated pictures thougg, where there is a sensory overload for the eyes =)

14. Amy Tuetken
    February 17, 2012 at 9:35 am —

Love edit #2 hands down. Black & White would be my 2nd choice, but like you, would do a little more work on the back ground. 🙂 Thanks for sharing.

15. Rebecca Weaver
    February 17, 2012 at 9:33 am —

Of what’s here I think I’d pick edit 4. What a cutie!

16. Ruth
    February 17, 2012 at 9:28 am —

I like edit 3 best because there is more detail in the skirt. I agree with the cloning…it needs to be more scattered, less apparent. Plus I would have burned the photo edges a little to bring attention to the subject. Or maybe I would have left the highlights of the concrete structure around her as it was originally…darker, only processing the girl…she seems to be fighting for attention with all the business around her. But still a lovely photo.

17. Annie
    February 17, 2012 at 9:20 am —

Love edit 1 and edit 4….beautiful picture!

18. hanna
    February 17, 2012 at 9:17 am —

background cloning is terrible!

19. Jennifer Miller
    February 17, 2012 at 9:13 am —

I like Edit #2 and Edit #5. Awesome picture! Love all the textures in it. Happy Shooting everyone! JMQ

20. February 17, 2012 at 9:07 am —